Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some accessories on my car w/ anti-theft bolts. Basically these bolts have a special allen heads w/ a unique pattern (star) where a special key is required to remove them. I know they won't stop a determined theif but can deter the occasional punk looking for "shinny parts." Do you guys know of any sources for bikes? I worry about my new carbon fiber front fender secured on by 4 allen bolts. My new exhaust brackets by Pro Italia have "steal me" written all over them. And the list goes on. :D

I just got a Low Jack system installed to back up my Scorpion Alarm but that's to protect the whole bike not the other expensive bits. :mad:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=16486

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Once a victim of theft in a major city, paranoid is not the term I would use. Proactive maybe is better. Theives in my city will steal anything not bolted down. I had a bicycle chained to the street sign....they dug up the sign all the way to the concrete it was cemented to and got my my bike! I don't like filing insurance claims! :D

My BMW has been with me since I bought it new in 1987. Theives have tried to steal her 6 times since then. All my "paranoid" devices on the car kept me the owner. Paranoid? :p

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anti theft bolts are a bit of a joke considering any tool shop will carry the tools to remove them anyway. They are an instant deterant for the opportunity theif. Changing from phillips head to allen key for numberplates helps. People seem to have unlimited access to something that will undo screws, ie: knife. But allen head requires a allen key. Not something you usually carry around. So the likelyhood of them stealing your front guard is pretty low. Exhaust systems on the other hand...

I like to use the "dont give them the time of day" approach. ie: dont park your bike where you cant see it or are going to be out of contact with it for more time then it would take to strip parts off it. Park it somewhere visible to everyone and not down a back alley. Pay a few extra $$'s and use secure parking if its offered.

I dont think you are paranoid, just concerned. Just dont use the one way screws in anything you may have to remove later. They can be a pain in the arse! :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anti theft bolts are a bit of a joke considering any tool shop will carry the tools to remove them anyway. They are an instant deterant for the opportunity theif. Changing from phillips head to allen key for numberplates helps. People seem to have unlimited access to something that will undo screws, ie: knife. But allen head requires a allen key. Not something you usually carry around. So the likelyhood of them stealing your front guard is pretty low. Exhaust systems on the other hand...

I like to use the "dont give them the time of day" approach. ie: dont park your bike where you cant see it or are going to be out of contact with it for more time then it would take to strip parts off it. Park it somewhere visible to everyone and not down a back alley. Pay a few extra $$'s and use secure parking if its offered.

I dont think you are paranoid, just concerned. Just dont use the one way screws in anything you may have to remove later. They can be a pain in the arse! :)
Thanks for understanding my "paranoia!" :) Yes, since a teenager I have always made it hard for thieves to my steal my sh*t! I rarely take my bike anywhere and not have it visible to me except at work. I think all the things you mentioned are second nature to me and always look for things to make it harder for thieves. During my short break from this post I got a call from a buddy who got all the fairings and exhaust off his R1 stolen at a movie theatre tonight. He had the bike parked almost directly in front of the mall. Chained it to a post but no alarm. Of course the mall security guards saw nothing.:mad:

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
People seem to have unlimited access to something that will undo screws, ie: knife. But allen head requires a allen key. Not something you usually carry around.
I have a set of allen, philips and torx bits for my Leatherman knives that fit in the pouch with the knives (they are flat), so I think that any modern thief would carry the same.

Pop rivets are a good idea, most people don't carry drills with them.

Tom

561 Posts
:D Once a victim of theft in a major city, paranoid is not the term I would use. Proactive maybe is better. Theives in my city will steal anything not bolted down. I had a bicycle chained to the street sign....they dug up the sign all the way to the concrete it was cemented to and got my my bike! I don't like filing insurance claims! :D

My BMW has been with me since I bought it new in 1987. Theives have tried to steal her 6 times since then. All my "paranoid" devices on the car kept me the owner. Paranoid? :p

Wow , you got some serious thevin goin on where you are, and desperatetly dumb as well ? .. I would remove the sign with a 1/2 " wrench bfore diggin up a street sign.

I had a buddy with a bronco back in the 80's(soft top) and he had a problem of having sterios walk right out from the dash of his truck......until he secured trebble hooks(3 prong fish hooks) on stainless wire around the mounting points of the sterio...........then he only had to contend with blood all over the seats and floor of the truck......he loved that system of justice.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Wow , you got some serious thevin goin on where you are, and desperatetly dumb as well ? .. I would remove the sign with a 1/2 " wrench bfore diggin up a street sign.

I had a buddy with a bronco back in the 80's(soft top) and he had a problem of having sterios walk right out from the dash of his truck......until he secured trebble hooks(3 prong fish hooks) on stainless wire around the mounting points of the sterio...........then he only had to contend with blood all over the seats and floor of the truck......he loved that system of justice.
I had a buddy loosen the cover of his radio and slide razor blades into the case then tighten the cover back down. Someone trying to steal his radio got sliced up pretty bad by the looks of all the blood he found in his car one morning. We thought it was a great anti theft system until he was leaving a club one night and found his car in the outer parking lot beat to shit with what looked like a sledge hammer. I think he would have rather bought a new radio.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I read that a sting operation in SD where the cops put a bait bike
on the side of the hwy and within 10 minutes it was stolen.

It is said that CA has the worse bike theft ratio in the US
I would be paranoid as well.

However bolts are a joke. If they want it they will get it.
Most thiefs will take the whole bike not the parts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Its like flyscreen doors... they only keep the honest crooks out.

Just do what we do in Australia. Make the welfare system so loose and profitable that crooks cant be fucked leaving the house in their government paid for meth/marijuana/heroin/speed induced stupor. Its great. All the government needs to do now is organise home delivery. Im happy to pay my tax's if it helps keeps these trolls off the streets and in their commission house smoking their commission crack :)

At the end of the day though, no amount of bolts will stop them. Your friend got lucky because they left the rest of the bike. If it was harder to get off, chances are they would have taken the whole bike, taken what they needed and dumped the rest.

·
Registered
752 Posts
bolts

Have you seen the bolts with the two holes side by side in the heads? I think they call them "drilled spanner" screws. Sorry I don't know where to source them. Google usually works. Stainless metric drilled spanner machine screws? Pan head, truss head, flat head, etc.

Fred

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a buddy loosen the cover of his radio and slide razor blades into the case then tighten the cover back down. Someone trying to steal his radio got sliced up pretty bad by the looks of all the blood he found in his car one morning. We thought it was a great anti theft system until he was leaving a club one night and found his car in the outer parking lot beat to shit with what looked like a sledge hammer. I think he would have rather bought a new radio.
That sounds like a good idea actually. Too bad he got his car beat up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
from this side of the pond.

My kit I use at work has to have deterrent style fixings, there is loads you can do.

There is snake eye bolts. http://woodstockindustrial.com/snakeeyecom1.jpg

There is the nintendo style fixtures, http://www.dansdata.com/images/danletters050/gamebit500.jpg

And another variation, http://www.tamperproof-screw.com/medias/images/vis_anti_effraction2.jpg

and just to make more ideas, http://blog.makezine.com/screwheadsinstructable.jpg

the best solution, is to get custom tooling on the head of bolts, and matching tools.

Also consider smart water for part ids, its invisible until under ultraviolet lights.

There is some one time solutions as well where the heads snap off but not good for maintenance.

Its a shame that we cant leave our toys, in public.:(

with out worrying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts