Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until today I thought there were only two radiators, 2.45L and 2.7L. My 2005 999R has a 2.45L and a guy I know who has a 2006 Xerox 999R has a 2.7L. From what I remember his has a different layout as to where the in and outlets are at.

Today I was sent a picture of a naked 2006 749 and it had the same in/outlet as my 2.45 has but it is labeled as a 2.8L.

Does anyone know why Ducati has three different radiators? Maybe all of that on paper weight savings from the R bikes is really the weight coolant weight. It would seem like the higher compression bikes would have more capacity.

:DOne liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds;)

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
You got me on that because its a mystery to me as well. I held a Testastretta valve clearance workshop and there was a buddie's 03 999S next to my 04 999S. They had different sized radiators.

Maybe Luigi had a mixed bag for a radiator bin and had some left over 996 or 998 radiators in 03. Ducati has been known to do this with parts, the last time I heard this was when they ran short of Ohlins they would throw on a Showa, this was back in the mid 90s.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Crafty....that's how Ducati basically, well...not the only reason, in biz all these years. Heck, even a few of the parts on Desomsedici, the switchgear, etc, are interchangeable w/ my 999 and other models.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Never seen a 2.45L radiator.... 2.7L and 2.8L, yes. The 2.7L radiator has both the inlet and outlet on the bottom/left side of the radiator. The 2.8 has inlet on top, outlet on bottom; both on left side.

Not sure what the fitment is for models/years, but my '05 749Bip had the 2.8L, and my '05 749R has the 2.7L. Dimensionally, they seem similar; the capacity difference is probably in the inlet/outlet design. Ducati is very much a parts-bin manufacturer, like GM. It's kinda nice in the sense that it makes it easy to source parts.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The cooling fans do mount differently however. On one model the fans are affixed to the back to rad, with no visible pass thru bolts on the face or the rad, on another model the two of the bolts pass thru the front of the rad (near the center fin line) to affix the fans on the back

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking that I want to replace my 2.45 with a 2.8 for when I am in the city.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts