Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been a while since I had any meaningful rear brake on the ST3S.
Recently, I could tell the front brake was leaving me in an unsafe condition (the lever would get closer and closer to the grip before the brakes engaged, but would be fine if I gave the lever a couple quick squeezes).
So I broke out the Mighty Vac today, along with a fresh can of DOT4 synthetic fluid.
Flushed both front calipers, and the front brake is now solid like I like. The fluid that came out looked fine, but obviously needed to be done because now the front brakes are flawless.
Flushed the rear caliper, and ... To my delight... I now have a rear brake that actually works instead of a foot pedal that moves with no discernible result. Took a lot of fluid to make it go from cloudy but light to clear and light. Rear brakes are now flawless.
Just for kicks, I flushed the clutch fluid as well. It was slightly dark, and now it isn't. The clutch action was fine, but I feel better having fresh fluid in there.

Easy maintenance, and now it is time to ride.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Brake fluid being hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) should be changed out every two years with new fluid from a sealed container. Not just a can with the lid on tight but a can with the foil seal still in place.

I have been out riding with others who have lost their brakes because the fluid has boiled because of high moisture content and very hot brakes.

It is also very good for your hydraulic system to have clean fluid. Things just go smoother with clean fluid.

This is also a good time to remove levers and pedals to clean and lube linkage and bushings.

Put it on your bi-annual maintenance list.

Ride On
Dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hmm, I'm currently pulling the motor on my ST4S... now might be a good time to freshen up all that fluid as I put it back together. Thanks for the reminder!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts