Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've been thinking to get some Sato rearsets but I'm a bit iffy on the more aggressive position that it'll end me up in. My old hips (especially my right one) doesn't like positions that are too sporty. That's the main reason I switched from sportbikes to the Streetfighter. Before I did the switch, I thought I should try the cheap method for a little bit and see if it's something I want to switch to. Here are my thoughts so far:

1. It is more aggressive for the short trips around my neighborhood but it's not troubling my hips so far. I'll see what it feels like on longer days out.

2. Holy crap, I didn't realize that the stock shifter was so sloppy. This thing shifts like BUTTER! I'll bet that the real Satos might be even smoother.

3. The thing didn't come with instructions and there was a lot of head scratching before I was able to figure it out. The good thing is that I can finally lower the position of the brake pedal to a better position.

4. I lost the rear brake pressure in the process. It seems that once the pin comes out of the brake master, it would need a rebleed. I thought that I had read that elsewhere.

5. The Chinese kit seems quality enough for someone to try it on the cheap, but I would still choose some quality rearsets for a peace of mind.

6. I had the Rizoma right side heat shield delete, much wider PSR footpegs and rearsets extenders to make the foot position wider. I eliminated that extender as it wouldn't work with these rearsets. This one did some with an extender that pushed it out to about half the distance. I felt OK with the position. I'll have to have a long ride to see if I'll burn my boot with the exhaust. The legs on this Chinese rearsets is much shorter.

7. I'm also considering ordering the Gilles rearsets that can retain the stock positioning of the footpegs. That way, if I want to retain the stock position, I can do so with the option to be more aggressive and have that slop free shifting bliss. I can't seem to find anyone who has tried that rearsets before. If anyone knows of another aftermarket rearset that retains stock position, please post it.

8. The footpeg is fixed on this and the Sato rearset. I am worried about the risk to the frame if I go down with fixed pegs.

Anyone have any other thoughts about rearsets? I'll post pics when I get back to my bike later in the week. Basically, it looks exactly like the Sato black rearsets.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In my experience, there are 2 problems with the low-cost Chinese metal parts:

1) manufacturing tolerances aren't always up to par which means fitment is sometimes imperfect/sloppy.

2) Anodizing doesn't last (12-18 month life expectancy). Black parts start to get a copper-y sheen, red parts turn pink, etc. One way around this is to order the parts in an unfinished aluminum, that way there is no anodizing to wear off.

Maybe there are "unicorns" out there that don't suffer from either condition but the odds are against it IMO.

Good luck and enjoy your new 'sets.

Reactions: Shift-Tech

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thread isn't really about validating Chinese rearsets. I'll be purchasing some very real Satos or something else. I just wanted to post my views and know if anyone else has tried other rearsets. There are a few conversations about rearsets but nothing current and definitive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
SJ I just ordered a set from Gas Cap Dude as I read some great reviews of them from respected members of this forum. They should be here Tuesday so I can add my $0.02.

Here is a link to the rearsets I ordered
Ducati Streetfighter Rearsets ? gascapdude

And here is a link to the post inwhich they were previously reviewed.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/138-streetfighter/106763-ebay-rearsets-took-plunge.html

Also I liked the look of the broad range in adjustments for these vs. many of the other ebay rearsets.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. I remember that entire thread. Looked pretty nice. I think they are also quite a bit more aggressive at their most relaxed position.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah. I remember that entire thread. Looked pretty nice. I think they are also quite a bit more aggressive at their most relaxed position.
According to a post in the thread it seems they will go just a bit lower and further back than the stock setup. I guess its pretty much a guessing game until they show up.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that one guy said that it goes up and back 1.5".

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to Lightech in the Uk and it seems that they have about 25-30 mm adjustment from the stock position. So, I ordered their R version with the folding pegs. Very excited to get it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I talked to Lightech in the Uk and it seems that they have about 25-30 mm adjustment from the stock position. So, I ordered their R version with the folding pegs. Very excited to get it.
I got the gas cap dude pegs in and as expected there are a few minor tweaks required and I have an outstanding question about rod length... You are correct though in their lowest position it seems to move your foot up about 1". That being said the short ride I took "outside of the shifter being in an awful position" felt pretty good. Waiting to hear back about the rods tomorrow :(

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What was the rod issue. I think that there was someone else who had an issue with the rod length. I understand that the main difference between the Superbikes and the Steerfighters with regards to rearsets are the rod length and the fact that the right side doesn't have a heel guard because we use the heat shield as the heel guard.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What was the rod issue. I think that there was someone else who had an issue with the rod length. I understand that the main difference between the Superbikes and the Steerfighters with regards to rearsets are the rod length and the fact that the right side doesn't have a heel guard because we use the heat shield as the heel guard.
Actually after thinking about this at work today I went back and started playing with the rods again. It seems the issue was me but the instructions for this rearset are not exactly what I would call clear. The rear exhaust shield must be removed on the lower settings due to clearance issues with the rear brake lever. That being said it does include a new heel guard and I always ride with gear so I shouldn't have issues getting burned ;)

I only had a moment for a short ride with a 10mm in my pocket stopping to tweak them every few miles... So far they are shaping up great and I love the new positive feel! I still have a little work to do with the rear brake but overall for the money I am super pleased. Now to tear everything back down and loctite back together tomorrow :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looking good! The unthinkable happened to me on my first ride with the new rear sets :'( Pulled under a bridge to get out of a monsoon of a rain storm and I hit something slick and went down.. Left side rear set was bent beyond repair and bent the frame tabs a bit.... Other damage was avoided due to speedy motmoto frame sliders though.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Looking good! The unthinkable happened to me on my first ride with the new rear sets :'( Pulled under a bridge to get out of a monsoon of a rain storm and I hit something slick and went down.. Left side rear set was bent beyond repair and bent the frame tabs a bit.... Other damage was avoided due to speedy motmoto frame sliders though.
Hope you did not get injured! Could always be worse. Happy to hear your sliders did their job.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah man! So sorry to hear that. It happens, though. I don't have any frame sliders on this bike and I think it would be a good idea to get some installed for it. This is the first bike I haven't done frame sliders on. Also, this makes me think about that frame bracing that I've seen some people weld on. I really like the feel of fixed pegs over the folding ones... I don't know why. But the Lightech rearsets I'll be getting will have the folding pegs and toe pegs.

Will you be able to get the frame pulled out somewhere? I know that if you went through a claim, they'd total the bike.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I run the Gilles RCT-10GT on my SF848...

Purchased from Shift Tech: ST861 GILLES STREETFIGHTER 848/1098 REARSET BLACK/RED - Shift-Tech Carbon

Adjustability is limiting if you plan to take your SF on the track or ride very aggressively on the street. Mine are adjusted in the highest/furthest back setting after some clearance issues (i.e. ground my pegs up significantly) during my last trackday. For street riding, the available settings should work for most people. Quality, fit/finish is very nice and the pegs are very grippy - no slipping whatsoever. Happy with mine... BUT, I'd have gone with the Sato unit knowing now the limits in adjustability of the Gilles.

Share what you end up doing...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hope you did not get injured! Could always be worse. Happy to hear your sliders did their job.
There was basically no damage other than the frame tabs. The damage on these was extemely minimal and I was able to tweak them back in place. With the factory pegs there would have been no damage.

I have a slightly sore leg but thankfully no other injuries.

Ah man! So sorry to hear that. It happens, though. I don't have any frame sliders on this bike and I think it would be a good idea to get some installed for it. This is the first bike I haven't done frame sliders on. Also, this makes me think about that frame bracing that I've seen some people weld on. I really like the feel of fixed pegs over the folding ones... I don't know why. But the Lightech rearsets I'll be getting will have the folding pegs and toe pegs.

Will you be able to get the frame pulled out somewhere? I know that if you went through a claim, they'd total the bike.
I was able to fix the tabs myself as they were barely pushed in. I had the bike back together with no visible damage the following day! That being said I love my Speedy Moto Frame sliders they are a life saver!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts