Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His test seems very similar to the roller test that Royal Purple did and which I very suspicious of. His axe seemed to be well and truly aimed at Zinc boundery lubrication additives. I found it interesting that Motul 300 did well. I agree that there are differences between European and US motor oils. I'm struggling to find any test done on European motor oils. Probably not surprising considering our tighter rules on truth in advertising.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,495 Posts
I know exactly how it will go as I use it in all three of my bikes and my 4wd.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This might be a bit of a cynical veiw of American brand oils but I do see many of them over here in Europe where the rules on marketing are stricter than the USA. Mobil oils are about the only ones I can think of available here and even then there are no adds claiming super things. Come to think of it there are no oil adds making any claims at all apart from some vague stuff about reducing friction.

Locally available stuff here in Norway is Castrol, Mobil1, Shell, Exxon, Statoil, Silkolene, Carlube & Motul. There are also some 'cheap' imports like Valvoline and Total if you keep your eye open.

I've never managed to find a test on European motor oils, never mind and independent one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would be interested to know if anyone has direct knowledge of an engine issue or failure that was directly and definitively due to an oil product being inferior in the past 10-20 years. I have not. I have seen some failures but I couldn't directly associate it with the oil (meaning it probably would have failed no mater what brand or type of oil was used) and I have seen some engine that looked like crap when they were tore down (but once again it looked more like the oil wasn't changed regularly).

Just curious.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not interested in bad oils. What I am interested in the BEST!
The best for price? The best for wear? I would agree that there are few bad oils and as long as you select the viscosity and the API spec then there is the smallest difference in the performance, a fraction of a percent, between manufacturers.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Having said that ; what conclusion are you drawing from that article? That article seems to be geared towards racing oils that tend not to do so well on the street; especially w/ factory OCI's.
The racing oils do tend to feature prominently in the test.
I think it's just because they're marketed as having more ZDDP.

However, the test is all about confirming the benefits or otherwise of ZDDP in motor oil. As well as promoting that other additive they refer to, but only in limited circumstances.
Otherwise it's like ZDDP in that the effectiveness of an otherwise fully formulated oil can also be reduced.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
This might be a bit of a cynical veiw of American brand oils but I do see many of them over here in Europe where the rules on marketing are stricter than the USA. /-------------------------/

I've never managed to find a test on European motor oils, never mind and independent one.
That is curious to me.

Do you think the stricter rules on marketing are keeping anyone from performing an exhaustive test on European oils?

Would you be able to perform a test and disclose the results without being sued by a low performing Company?

Or do Government Regulations prohibit you from pointing out low performers even if you have no possible monetary gain from such information?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is curious to me.

Do you think the stricter rules on marketing are keeping anyone from performing an exhaustive test on European oils?

Would you be able to perform a test and disclose the results without being sued by a low performing Company?

Or do Government Regulations prohibit you from pointing out low performers even if you have no possible monetary gain from such information?
The rules prohibit you from telling lies! If you state such-and-such an oil is way better than it's competitor you BETTER have the tests by a TRULY independent laboritory to back it up. That's why a synthetic oil here really is a synthetic.

Good point about the tests being orientated towards racing oil. I hadn't noticed that. I have no idea why nobody has done an oil test in Europe but it would not surprise me if it was on cost grounds.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
After reading that very lengthy article I came away with one simple conclusion. For me, I'll stick with Motul 300. Pricey? Yes, but it appears to do the job it was intended for.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
The rules prohibit you from telling lies! If you state such-and-such an oil is way better than it's competitor you BETTER have the tests by a TRULY independent laboritory to back it up. That's why a synthetic oil here really is a synthetic.
/--------/
Still curious here.

Over here, if you lie, you might have a pack of Lawyers at your door very quickly. Much scarier than any government.

So, if nobody tests your oil or makes any claims...how do you know if you are really getting a full synthetic with the proper additives package? The base oil has to be good, then the additives package has to work just as well.

Sounds to me like a recipe for tears...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having read some oil tests that indicated Amsoil was really good and then dug deeper and found that Amsoil appeared to be behind the test I must admit to being very sceptical of their products - without ever having used them. I strongly suspect Europeans are more cynical when it comes to advertising. Over here government are involved in policing advertising claims through watchdog organisations and consumer protection departments. Ask Microsoft how badly things can go if you piss off the EU consumer protection organisation!

As for oils. It is commonly accepted that EU oils are formulated differently than US oils. I have never seen any test that compares them though. I suspect Motul 300 is the same on both sides of the pond. My riding involves a lot of short journeys in town in cold weather so a 15w50 will probably not do my engine any favours. I favour a 5w50.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
After reading that very lengthy article I came away with one simple conclusion. For me, I'll stick with Motul 300. Pricey? Yes, but it appears to do the job it was intended for.
If you race, and or change the oil every 500-1000 miles; there probably isn't any better oil out there. I don't race, and I change the oil around 2K miles; so it doesn't fit my needs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts