Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
they look cool, but man what a pita...

i gave up on mine and went with three-spokers. much lighter and much easier to clean.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Luster Lace works very well and isn't too hard to use. Furthermore, you can make your own out of strips of old cloths or strong rags. You just take a strip, wrap it around a spoke once or twice and just saw away.

BTW, you do know about child labor laws, don't you?:D

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Gotta love babies who take pride in their work! I used a wheel cleaning brush and soapy water the other night, and got pretty good results. Next time I think I'll mix a little Simple Green in for better grime cutting.

Much as I love the way the spokes look when they're clean, I just clean mine on the bike because I don't have stands to remove them, and am way too lazy even if I did.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
How'd you find getting the rotors off? Half the torx fasteners on mine stripped out when I tried - I ended up having to heat them, then remove them with a punch on a flat I had ground onto the head.

Replaced the whole set of torx head screws with stainless steel allen heads.

·
Registered
2010 Hyper
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to admit those torx screws threw me for a loop. I ended up having to use a two foot breaker bar with an unreasonable amount of force to get them turning.

I had one little guy that wanted a battle. It actually caused my torx bit to explode. Afterwards, I went to the hardware store and asked for a t-40 bit with a warranty because I planned on breaking it. With my new bit, it was the screw that gave in first and stripped like my daughter never will. I then had to dremel a huge notch and used a flat head screwdriver like a crowbar. The screw came back and bent, then snapped 3 screwdrivers. O'l Red finally delivered the winning blow.

Major, I remember seeing my great uncle use a hammer powered impact driver when I was a kid. It is a genius tool. Does anyone make them anymore?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I cheated and got some Alpinas with black spokes so you can't see the dirt.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
non longer on my bikes either, since I have marchesinis, but I found that gasoline was the BEST cleaning agent for the wheels... actually, it's the best cleaning agent for anything... but avoid painted surfaces... ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Not sure if this stuff is sold beyond Europe but it's a very effective cleaner/protector.

Had a very pleasant ride in rural Nottinghamshire (Sherwood Forest & all that) today with Mrs H riding pillion. Stopped for lunch sat outside a country pub & then resumed our ride in the autumnal splendour.

Gave the bike a good clean when we returned home, used the SDOC 100 to clean all around the engine & cycle parts (not brake discs/pads) & rinsed it off with a low pressure garden sprayer. I wiped the gel on the wheels, sprocket & spokes & they have come up a treat. Recommended!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts