Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I finished putting on the Rizoma rear turn signals on my homebrew tidy. Time consuming, but not difficult... lots of trial fitting. Ending up making a second plate holder/underside cover since I wanted a cleaner bend and a slightly longer extension to the plate holder.

Since I was tearing it down, I did find the tool kit finally after I removed the rear section in order to snake the heat sinks for the Rizoma's into the battery compartment area. Checked the ECU mounting bolts, they were snug.

One thought on the rear section, I believe if you damage you tail light, you would have to purchase an entire rear section. The tail light cannot be removed since the rear section is a two part deal, with plastic spot welds holding the lower and upper sections together. I was going to remove the light and beef up the foam strip that is supposed to prevent the rubbing of the off center light. Since the light bolts in, there are no adjustments that can be made unless you were to get the rubber mounting grommets out, then open them up/shim the light over a smidge.

The turn signals are plenty bright and much smaller than stock. Only one heat sink is needed (lights come with two per signal). One note, if you want to feed the Rizoma wires through a hole the size of the hollow bolt, you have to un-do the connector so you just feed the wire with the ends thru. This can easily be done with a toothpick, which unlatches the catch on the wire connector. Just note down which side is what color wire. I didn't want a big sloppy hole and have the signals move around.

The Tidy is made of 3 parts, the cover/plate holder, the Turn Signal bracket which is riveted to the cover, and the plate indicator which is just a sort of eye brow that is bolted on with the top two license plate fasteners. The light for the plate is a cut to length LED strip that has double sided tape. While I like it sitting flush like this, the light either needs to be dispersed more or offset further out from the plate. Just wanted to be legal, but it casts more of a shadow light with the raised numbers on the plate.

I still need to tuck a little more wire, but I plan on riding Sunday!

I posted two clips to youtube...

Home Made Tail Tidy Rizoma Turn Signals1

Home Made Tail Tidy Rizoma Turn Signals2

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
The tail light can be removed, I have just done it yesterday.

You have to know how and it comes out, the angle of the dangle has to be right and it pops out.

I also first thought that this just can't be, how in the world does this tail light come out but it got in the tail somehow so something that goes in also comes out. You have to be very careful, one wrong move and you break the tail section.

My suggestion, have a dealer take care of it for you. It's just plain stupid how they did it on the SF.

May be one reason why ClearAlternative still did not offer a tail light for the SF.:think: I bet you 80% of all customers will just not do it and wanting to return it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It does come out.. You have to pull it like fuck....:D

I do think they put it in & plastic welded the top section on ...numb gits

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's good to know if i make/adjust the bracket i made! Thanks for that tidbit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts