Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
o_O Aha ! you are THE ONE responsible for this mess then ;)
ROFL! Not really. People like me are helping to keep the markets from totally imploding over panic selling.

If someone wants to throw a good company on sale, why not stock up? I mean, if it works when the grocery store puts cans of vegetables on "buy one get on free", do you just walk on by and get a sack of frozen corn and green beans? Many people will buy a case and eat healthy for a few weeks. 2 or 3 years from now, people buying into this market will be pretty well off if past history is any indicator of future performance. If not, paper money and some Bitcoin probably won't buy you much either.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I'm over a decade out before I can even think of retiring. Not only am I 'riding this out' I'm buying shares here and there, either lowering my cost per or getting in cheap, with cash (money market fund) I hadn't yet found a 'home' for previously.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
They always said the market didn’t like unpredictability but what has been more unpredictable than Trump the last three years ? Remember the Chinese trade war he started, only to” change his mind “ days later ? There was someone who knew that would happen and was in a position to use that knowledge to make a lot of money. Trump.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
You have to worry when you hear the cure is worse than the disease mantra. Be afraid, be very afraid. Will lives be sacrificed for the market?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, some 'cures' are worse than the 'disease'. I've never been a fan of medical flogging for litigation reasons either. ;)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
We should have a party. I’ve stopped looking because it just makes me worry.

If I let it get to me I’d be looking for a bridge to jump off.

You have no idea how badly my socks have been blown off.

But then again what, me worry? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I am no stock expert nor do I even have a rudimentary understanding of it but I'm not riding this thing to the bottom. My opinion is the financial and social harm from this virus is going to continue for much longer than most are predicting. I'm retired and I dont have the time or ability to wait out the volatility that we are seeing. I sold off everything I had in the market today, about 39% of my total assets. I dont consider this as locking in my losses, once a vaccine is found and people start getting back to work I'll jump right back in. if I miss a couple of days of gain that will be far less than the losses that I fear will continue to accumulate over the next weeks or months.
I'm sick to my stomach after todays rally... I F'n cant win at this.
If you look at almost any financial professional involved directly with investments, as I stated before, big gains get missed because people pulled out during a market low point fearing the worst and BAM! Talk of a $6 trillion dollar 'rescue package' in Congress caused the market to soar. While I'm not where I was before, a huge chunk of my losses was erased today.

Will tomorrow be another good day or a market realization that the crisis is still on-going with a lot of unknowns?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, it looks like the Senate agreed to $2 Billion in the latest funding bill. That and 'fed' action should help a lot. With $1200 going directly to most 'working' people, that should go a long way to putting some money back into business circulation.

$1200 spent locally by everyone living in the immediate area will do a lot to keep small businesses economically viable and keep clerks, cashiers, etc. employed which is another economic win for those people and the local economy.

·
Administrator
12,120 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Stock market (or my wife because of my stupidity) is gonna kill me way before any virus...
Are you buying shorts or day trading or what is your current strategy?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Sorry guys. You all know better than to start debating politics on the site. Even if I agree with some of it, it's got to go.
Yes, fair enough, with credit to all for keeping it civil, I can see emotion making a fool of somebody’s mouth sooner or later lol.
Hope the guys printing the money don’t get sick.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Stock market (or my wife because of my stupidity) is gonna kill me way before any virus...
You're not the first and won't be the last selling out at a market bottom. It isn't an exact science predicting what the market or most stocks will do (assuming you leave out obvious things as we have seen with Boeing and VW as more recent examples).

Like you, I know the feeling of seeing your investment tank with huge losses. In my case when I was in my late 20's, I had a significant investment in Central and South America that lost, depending on the specific case, 70% to 80%. I took a deep breath and continued to believe the companies I had invested in were still good and they would recover. Then after the initial shock, I increased my investments. 3 years later I made a killing financially thanks to the investments made at the very bottom of the market. I also stood the real risk of my investments going bankrupt when the companies collapsed or were nationalized so, it was an extremely risky financial investment strategy but, I was young with a long time to recover and only invested money I didn't require for living my life acceptably at the time. Realize that risk like this can make it impossible for some people to sleep well at night so, you MUST do what is acceptable to yourself and not someone else.

I wish you well as you ponder your options in this volatile marketplace.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Jeesus, the FED and the Treasury are taking turns gangraping Lady Liberty while Congress are doing the cheerleading and the people are cowering away in fear.

Big Business is getting a bailout to the tune of trillion$,...again..., Small Business is getting more loans on top of existing loans, and the people gets a measly thousand bucks, which will not be spend in the immediate area, but rather on rent and paying loans, G_d forbid the banks taking a loss.

Sickening yes.

Sure, there is money to be made in this market, ultimately though the piper will need to be paid, I'm sticking to my guns, this is not going to end well.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
It's sadly apparent that more than a few here are allowing their loathing of the President (and/or cheer-leading of his opponents) to worsen their investment decisions. It makes it difficult to have empathy. 'Pro tip' - if you can't separate the two, find yourself an investment pro to make all your decisions and pay him his cut.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts