Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Administrator
12,120 Posts
The short seller is a happy guy
I sold all of my short funds yesterday. I sold in the morning and if I waited until the afternoon I would have made another $35K which is SO much money. I am kicking myself for freaking out and bailing however I will say I have never made so much money on investments in my life and I am pretty excited about the whole thing overall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I sold all of my short funds yesterday. I sold the morning and if I waited until the afternoon I would have made another $35K which is SO much money. I am kicking myself for freaking out and bailing however I will say I have never made so much money on investments in my life and I am pretty excited about the whole thing overall.
I'm pretty much in the exact opposite situation.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,316 Posts
Ok. Look. Since this shit started I’m down about $250k so I dont want to hear any fucking whining!

As long as you don’t panic and do something stupid it’ll come back. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I should have seen this coming. Just when my investment guy starts asking me if I'm about ready to retire, the bottom falls out. Of course the market will come back, but your portfolio may look a bit different. The stocks that you have that go under will just be gone. No way to get those back.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
The Dow's close at 19,173 points marked its lowest level since December 2, 2016. In just this past week the Dow lost more than 4,000 points, making this its worst weekly point loss ever. On a percentage basis, March is set to be the worst month since September 1931 as the Dow has dropped more than 24%

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
I know. I started my mandatory withdrawals. I’m pretty sure there isn’t any way to delay them. They’ll be selling my stock at bargain prices to pay me money I don’t want right now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know. I started my mandatory withdrawals. I’m pretty sure there isn’t any way to delay them. They’ll be selling my stock at bargain prices to pay me money I don’t want right now.
You don't have to take them today. By December a lot of the market jitters SHOULD BE GONE. Add some stimulus money and while it probably won't be back to what it was it will be better than right now.

On the flip side, if you have some cash set aside for a rainy day that you don't need for rent, car payments, etc, a lot of stocks are ON SALE RIGHT NOW! :)

·
Smut peddler
900 Posts
I sold all of my short funds yesterday. I sold in the morning and if I waited until the afternoon I would have made another $35K which is SO much money. I am kicking myself for freaking out and bailing however I will say I have never made so much money on investments in my life and I am pretty excited about the whole thing overall.
I think it's time I hired you for a life coach. Or you wrote a book for losers like me.:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
This market ain't coming back, ever.

Next 9 days is gonna be interesting watching from the outside in...
With all the stimulus money coming into the USA market place, I don't agree with your stock market statement. Institutional investors will thrash it some and cause huge volatility but, there is enough cash out there bottom fishing other than days with a ~1,000 points up and the next day down, I think were are there until large companies like Boeing start declaring bankruptcy.

A year or two later, those that had cash on the side that went into the markets will be reaping huge returns for their retirements just like we have seen in the past. Myself, I'm over a decade away from pension eligibility so I'm not overly worried about my 'golden years'. The people that will really suffer are the individuals that went to cash and 'locked in losses' while missing the recovery. ;)

·
Administrator
12,120 Posts
A used Ducati and some cruise stock :D

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
It would be really sad to see the money used for stock buy backs like 2008.
The futures look bleak for Monday....

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
With all the stimulus money coming into the USA market place
There is NO money left, there is only more dept and a promise to repay that dept with future labour, and since the grandkids were already sold into dept slavery in 07/08 I suppose it's the great grandkits turn now.

Ever wonder who will stimulus the FED?

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is NO money left, there is only more dept and a promise to repay that dept with future labour, and since the grandkids were already sold into dept slavery in 07/08 I suppose it's the great grandkits turn now.

Ever wonder who will stimulus the FED?
The federal government is a disorganized mess with no expertise or experience.
We are fucked.
Speaking a USA voter, I was not a TRUMP supporter during the last Presidential elections but, it is hard to argue against the success of his policies in general. Is a country that can't control its borders really a country? If businesses can't operate with some measure of independence, when do they just become another arm of the government? Etc.

All nations need legal immigration. Japan, for example, is what happens when you basically stop immigration with an elderly population that basically can't support their economy and the younger adults stop having children in any meaningful numbers. Germany was a different example with simply not enough workers to perform some of the needed low-level jobs (think sanitation services, basic manual labor jobs like construction, etc.) and not enough skilled labor to keep the factories and industrial engine growing.

Government regulations are a mixed bag. No one wants air or water pollution, toxic waste dumping. abusive labor policies etc. but, excessive regulation stops innovation, individual expression and innovation, in addition to letting people exercise some autonomy to pursue their own personal interests too.

On the flip side, 2007/2008 in the USA was a prime example the elites getting taken care of while the little guy who actually pays the taxes gets taken to the cleaners. There are good examples of companies that were saved and paid the money back but, where was the penalty for the Corporate Executives and Companies that basically broke the global economy? Why did they get millions of $$$ in bonus from Govermanent 'bailout' funds while normal citizens saw their investments collapse into worthlessness?

This Coronavirus pandemic crisis isn't like the 2007/2008 financial crises in that it isn't the result of unethical financial manipulation of the financial markets to benefit a few super-wealthy people but, China's suppression of the early evidence and failed government policies in the rest of the world is certainly making it worse than it should have been. The German Airwings intentional aircraft crash is one glaring example of a privacy stance taken to the extreme that led to the loss of life. There are also numerous global examples where insufficient privacy has led to death or severe persecution for just being different or wanting something other than the government line out of life (take Iran as one example or women in Saudi Arabia as another). However, China's "WUHAN" virus cover-up, persecution of the doctor that discovered it and tried to warn others and, their attempts to blame others only served to make the catastrophe worse.

·
Bon Vivant
10,576 Posts
Well, I am no stock expert nor do I even have a rudimentary understanding of it but I'm not riding this thing to the bottom. My opinion is the financial and social harm from this virus is going to continue for much longer than most are predicting. I'm retired and I dont have the time or ability to wait out the volatility that we are seeing. I sold off everything I had in the market today, about 39% of my total assets. I dont consider this as locking in my losses, once a vaccine is found and people start getting back to work I'll jump right back in. if I miss a couple of days of gain that will be far less than the losses that I fear will continue to accumulate over the next weeks or months.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, for anyone retired, a more conservative approach is recommended by almost all legitimate financial professionals. In terms of further crashing, the markets domestically seem too volatile on a bottom threshold right now for further significant declines to stick around but, it could go up or down more as there are no guarantees in the stock market.

With inflation versus interest rates, the other thing novice investors often overlook is the devaluation of their nest egg over time.

I encourage people to look at past recoveries and not to hesitate once we turn the corner as markets will recover quickly if we follow past major declines and that is where a lot of people really get hurt badly, other than the initial decline itself.

141 - 160 of 186 Posts