Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it comfortable?

I am 6.3 Ft tall so im thinking height should work in my favour.

How you guys find it over long rides vs short rides?

Funny enough my choice is down to 2 bike the Sports Classic and the Streetfighter 848.... I know they are very different bikes but this is what i have narrowed it down too.

I have a test ride for the Streetfighter this weekend, but finding a Sports classic to test ride is proving to be difficult.

Any info you guys can share about the ride position / and comfort of the Sports classic would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Fab

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm 6'3" and find it comfortable enough. What do you consider a long ride? I have done 1100 mile 3 day trips on mine. That is pushing it for me and would not consider anything longer than that. Single day trips I have pushed into the high 400, almost 500 mile range knowing I didn't have to get back on it the next day.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
"Comfort" is HIGHLY subjective. I think you'll find many, many threads on the, uhm, more aggressive ergos this bike exhibits and what many do to alleviate it. After-market rear-sets and clip-ons/handle-bars are rather common additions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I find it comfortable but everyone I know thinks I'm a bit off.

From someone who's had both I'd say the SC is the more aggressive of the two. I can't see either being very comfortable for most people but like others have said it's subjective.

Read that wrong, not sure about the streetfighter

·
Registered
58 Posts
@OP: I was exactly on the same boat as you 3 weeks ago - had a test ride schedule for a Streetfighter 848 ... that never happened.
I got my SportClassic 06 model and ... it is not comfortable at all, i have had 2 sport bikes (GSXR600 and a Ducati 848) and both were more comfortable that the SC. I have a Multistrada 1200S which is the most comfortable bike i have ever owned BUT no bike in the world will give more pleasure of riding than the SC! I have tried several times to explain friends why i am keeping the SC and leaving the MTS1200S, and believe me it´s not easy to put in words the vibe that the SC gives you.
And besides that, the look of the bike will turn head wherever you go, Panigale?! NO this is a much more stunning bike.
The pain? you will feel it but the constant smile on your face will wipe that out ... easily

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a Streetfighter S and a 2006 Sport 1000. The SFS is rather comfortable. The SC1000 is an absolute torture rack. It's got probably one of the most aggressive riding positions of any late-model sport bike. It's really only comfortable when you're doing what it was designed to do - move around on the bike in fast corners. With that being said it's a blast to ride and I wouldn't have it any other way - I'm keeping the clip-ons in the stock position. If I didn't have the relative comfort of the SFS to go back to, I might feel differently. That's why you see so many people putting high clip-ons and GT handlebars on SC1000s. I'm 6'3" and I think it helps to be long-limbed with this bike. Still, it's very tough on the wrists during long rides. Just plan out some frequent stops, and don't fool yourself into thinking you can do light touring with it. You'll just end up wanting to change it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I too have a SC1000S and a StreetFighter. The SC is a torture rack; extremely uncomfortable and a compromised riding position; almost impossible to look over your shoulder effectively in city traffic, but the 2 valve engine is a joy to ride. The StreetFighter is by far the better bike in my opinion; comfortable, fast, light, amazing braking ability and very soul stirring. Given the choice I wouldn't hesitate for a moment; take the StreetFighter, and get one of the last 1098 versions quickly ..... the 848 is the baby!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
A GT would be comfortable or is the OP talking S1k? (big difference in everyday riding comfort)..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm around 6'5" with a GT1000 (so I can't speak to the rest of the SC line). The forward lean on the sport classic is the only thing I really had to get used to, once I figured out how to best support my torso with my core/seating position without straining my wrists/hands it's been a comfortable ride. Though that may also be helped out by having the bars raised slightly from the wind screen mount.

With the peg position and seat height layout I don't seem to get any cramps up in the hip area that I used to from being 'folded up' riding other bikes.

I've yet to take any really long trips (more than 100 miles) but once you get used to the slight lean it's really quite nice!

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Echoing others, it's all about getting the position down. I have a S1k biposto, with the riser bars. Even so, the first month or two I was putting too much weight on my wrists and that was the problem. Now I've learned to carry it all in my legs and core. Definitely a workout on longer rides, but so much fun!

Hat's off to anyone who can do a 400-500 mile day though, after about 200 I'm pooped!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Stats,

6'-5", 225 with gear, and every year I ride to Laguna Seca from Los Angeles (and back three days later) on back roads (8 hour ride), and I have a very extreme body position as I have race clip-ons on my Sport 1000s.

Fortunately I have a strong back so I rarely feel any pain. It's probably the most extreme body position I've ever ridden, but I love it!

A friend of mine took this when he saw me on PCH putting around without proper gear:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
if you're raising the question to begin with, then the SC might not be for you.

One doesn't buy an SC because it's comfortable or has better performance. One buys an SC because despite all its short-comings, all bikes pale in comparison.

I test-rode a SF1098 and it's an absolute beast of a bike, quite perfect in my opinion, but it's also a speeding ticket waiting to happen because, like most 4v engines, you're not having fun until you hit 80. The first time I got on it I switched from 1st to 2nd gear at 60mph and didn't feel a thing. I got at the end of the on-ramp to the freeway in 4th gear at 140mph....

That may not happen with a 848 but still. Completely different bikes.

the DS1000 is an indestructible tractor and has an amazing personality.

LA-DUC, Dietrich, myself and many others on this forum have logged some serious miles on these bikes. Changing the suspension makes a difference, but overall, you survive.

If I could only have one bike, for me it's the SC.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The whole wrist/back thing is more an issue with personal fitness. You pretty much need a rocking core to ride this thing very far. The more pressing issue in my book, is whether or not your knees clear the tank bulges (on the sport). I'm 6'2" with a 33-34" inseam, and my legs are just a little bit too long. Yours probably are too, but you only need to sit and not ride to figure that out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The more pressing issue in my book, is whether or not your knees clear the tank bulges (on the sport).
+1
I'm 6'3" and find the lean forward position of my '06 Sport fine.
If the rear of the tank was about 1.5" longer I'd be able to stay further back on the seat and my knees would fit nicely in the tank cut outs. Lukeeye's picture kind of illustrates where my knees hit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys thank you very much for all the great feedback regarding the riding position. And thoughts on how comfortable the bikes are.

At the end of the day i need to try both and see how they feel.

I will report back once i have tracked down a SC and manage to go for a spin.

One thing i can say is i actually dont plan on doing any major long rides so the SC might be fine.

Cheers
Fabs

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
The whole wrist/back thing is more an issue with personal fitness. You pretty much need a rocking core to ride this thing very far. The more pressing issue in my book, is whether or not your knees clear the tank bulges (on the sport). I'm 6'2" with a 33-34" inseam, and my legs are just a little bit too long. Yours probably are too, but you only need to sit and not ride to figure that out.
Uh no-oo! Maybe if the person has the same physique as you! A shorter person is gonna have to stretch more, causing more lean angle. This can put more weight to the upper body, either forcing or almost forcing the need to put some of that weight on the wrists. Extreme case in point:

(Okay, so most of his weight is on his belly :D )
Then there's the ravages of life that accumulate as one ages so no matter how healthy & fit one may be their "personal fitness" won't erase a broken wrist, spinal fracture, arthritis, etc.

You have a long torso and short legs as I'm 5'10" with a 34" inseam, so I'm more leg than you ratio-wise, giving me less abdomen compared to you.

Your statement my seem innocuous but it's really not that simple.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If the lean angle is a problem there are many aftermarket solutions to make the handlebars up higher. Super easy solution, just saying

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Nothing like an SC... In my group of close friends, there are pretty much all Ducs on the market, but man... I won't change my SC for any! Is it comfortable? Well, I'm 5' 10" and let me tell you... after any trip longer than a couple of hours, I feel as if my back is being pulled apart by sharks. The funny thing is, I get off the bike, look at it, and all I can do is to smile. Nothing like it man, nothing like it. The melody playing out of those 2-2 termi's and the show it puts on... like a ballerina dancing to Pavarotti. Does it make sense? NO! The way I see it, you become one with an SC while you tame other Ducati's. If you're looking for comfort, good sir, you won't find it on an SC. But the experience you'll find is worlds apart from any other bike out there. Yet again, I meet people who could care less about SC's. It's one of those things you just get or you don't. It's F'ng love man!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts