Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2021-Ducati-Panigale-V4-SP-Side-View-Black.jpg

2021-Ducati-Panigale-V4-SP-Front-Quarter-View-Black.jpg

Ducati has resurrected the old moniker from the very early days of the Superbike family for this latest Panigale offering.
Between the V4R, V4S, V4 Superleggera this is the bowl of Panigale porridge that would be just right for me!

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I am not sure how I feel about that bike being called the SP. It's really just a new version of the Speciale - a tarted up S model with some different extras. It's still an S - S frame, S suspension, S motor.

My preference for an SP would be a R with that stuff on but that's probably not smart either because then it would $55k and 80% of an SL and then that's whole other ordeal.

Either way, I think it's a nice thing. I just don't love the name.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
1993 750SS
245 Posts
Looks nice. I'm digging the livery.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm ok with the use of "SP"
To me this is a seriously desirable version of the Pani I'm happy to see SP attached to it.
Like you say, it's not as advanced engine wise as an R, it is basically an S with a little extra, so why not SP?

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Looks nice. I'm digging the livery.
The livery is amazing. They call it the Winter Testing livery. I love it.

Reactions: LA2SD and vanduc996

·
Old Fast Guy
491 Posts
Yep, I have the 2011 1198SP, the 2012 1100 Hyper SP, a 2015 CBR SP. This new Panigale V4 SP is the first Ducati bike I've actually thought about buying since 2012.

Reactions: vanduc996

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is my favorite version of the V4 Pani to date. I'm glad they used the lower maintenance, higher torque 1100c V4 motor. I could see myself trying to own one of these one day. When I look at the other V4 Pani's I tell myself "If you had the money, you should get the D16RR instead"

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is my favorite version of the V4 Pani to date.
I'm in the exact same boat!
It's so sexy it overwhelms the fact that I feel the V4 Panigales have such a high performance envelope as to be absurd for me to even contemplate owning one.
This one forces (fantasy) contemplation!

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I did a little thinking on this and I am going to change my stance on my earlier post about the name. When I think of SP, I think of the 851, 888 and 916 SP models, which were advanced spec and close to the later SPS models and eventual R models. However, in recent years the SP has become a more advanced S model and less of an R model. Add in that since 2014, the SL models have been Ducati's closest to SBK spec road going superbike, then it opens for an SP to be a more extreme and advanced S. So that's really a good way to go.

I also think it's different enough to the other offerings and a really nice addition to the line up. I could see someone having both and SL and SP as they do seem different enough.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I want to believe this will have the V4R spec but with the 1100cc bore and stroke. Therefore Sport Performance for the road but not as exotic as the SL and the V4R for the dedicated track addicts and race teams.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I want to believe this will have the V4R spec but with the 1100cc bore and stroke. Therefore Sport Performance for the road but not as exotic as the SL and the V4R for the dedicated track addicts and race teams.
S suspension is a real differentiator. It has the same electronic suspension from the S and not the up spec manual Ohlins from the R.

Reactions: leonlc

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
S suspension is a real differentiator. It has the same electronic suspension from the S and not the up spec manual Ohlins from the R.
Okay, well that is most probably the best setup for a Sport Performance road machine because of the ever changing road surfaces and conditions you experience while riding on the road. Nice (y)

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Okay, well that is most probably the best setup for a Sport Performance road machine because of the ever changing road surfaces and conditions you experience while riding on the road. Nice (y)
Exactly right. That’s why I think this may have been a really good move. It’s more street oriented where the R and SL are definitely more track oriented. It’s an interesting move by Ducati.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It's the V4S motor with the R dry clutch, I read their release and the electronic suspension was chosen because the larger less highly strung S engine (over the R) makes the bike more user friendly, so they wanted the suspension to be as well. They said quite openly that the bike was aimed at track riders and was likely to be capable of a faster lap time than the R in the hands of "amateur" riders where the R is a sharply focussed race bike that needs a pro on it to get the best out of it because of the engine characteristics and the manually adjustable suspension.

The Carbon wheels are a nice touch, as are the master cylinders, I really like it and am busy angling to get one as we speak.

·
Registered
226 Posts
[QUOTE="loony888, post: 7105844, member: 9363"
I really like it and am busy angling to get one as we speak.
[/QUOTE]

I'm so happy for you, post many pictures and track day photos please!

·
Registered
994 Posts
[QUOTE="loony888, post: 7105844, member: 9363"
I really like it and am busy angling to get one as we speak.
[/QUOTE]

Don't get too carried away...... It won't be here until June next year and I have to get my 1098R to my favourite shop on consignment which is about 550kms away yet.

But that being said, it's the first bike since i bought my 1098R that has seriously tempted me to upgrade, with the exception of the Superleggera which i can't afford or the V4R which i can't get my hands on and really, i wanted the larger capacity S engine, but still wanted the dry clutch.....
So this, in Black, is EXACTLY what i have been waiting for!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't get too carried away...... It won't be here until June next year and I have to get my 1098R to my favourite shop on consignment which is about 550kms away yet.

But that being said, it's the first bike since i bought my 1098R that has seriously tempted me to upgrade, with the exception of the Superleggera which i can't afford or the V4R which i can't get my hands on and really, i wanted the larger capacity S engine, but still wanted the dry clutch.....
[/QUOTE]
Wow loony! You, Sir, are truly a man of action!
That's fantastic, I'm genuinely stoked for you that you're making this happen.
Can't help but be a teeny bit envious as well. There's something about this particular Pani that really has me hooked. It's now my screen saver, which I should change cuz I'm spending too much time in the last couple days just starring longingly at my screen!

·
Registered
397 Posts

[/QUOTE]

why cant you get your hands on a v4r?

·
Registered
5,018 Posts

why cant you get your hands on a v4r?
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, a bike like the V4R is reserved for people with a racing license...and I don't mean a WERA Club license.

And sometimes a Resume is required to accompany the copy of the racing license before the importer will release the bike to a dealer.

(This information is 25 years old and YMMV)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts