Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That has got to be the curtest opossum on the planet. In Texas they are mean nasty creatures!

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1483584751.630590.jpg

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1483584848.914902.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Why are you apex predators not dispatching these thieves ?
Squirrels , robbing my bird feeders ... 'T'eeves!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Aussie Possums might look cute but they're mean dangerous little bastards, sharp as hell teeth and claws, they are carriers of Bovine T.B, and a threat to our agriculture. Introduced to New Zealand a couple of hundred years ago and are now our biggest pest, decimating our native bush. A major poisoning campaign is being run to try and eliminate the little bastards but I fear we are stuck with them.

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
Possums up here are gnarly looking but they're very passive critters... will hide or climb away from danger instead of getting mean and fighting. They're also pretty slow and deliberate... possums don't run. Our Bull Terrier caught one in our barn going after the chickens years ago and killed it so fast (2 to 3 seconds) that we didn't even realize what she had until she turned around dragging it by the neck.

Raccoons on the other hand... they are ABSOLUTELY mean and dangerous. A raccoon will give a single dog enough of a fight that most dogs learn to leave them alone.

At a park near where I grew up (with a lot of camping), the coons will beg food from campers. Some drunken genius (at a party I was attending) said "here... hold my beer" and proceeded to walk up to a raccoon, giving it a snack (they used to take popcorn out of my hand... they LOVE popcorn). When the animal reached out to take the food the intrepid drunk reached around and grabbed the coon by the tail and chucked it through the air to smack into a tree maybe 10' away. The raccoon hit the ground awkwardly but was on his feet instantly and LAUNCHED at the dipshit... then proceed to TEAR HIM UP. Many stitches later I think the kid decided that messing with raccoons was probably a bad idea.

·
Still needs a life.
12,483 Posts
A friend of mine described raccoons as "small bears." A raccoon broke into his barn and killed one of his geese that he had brought in for the night. I can never leave my pet turtles outside for the night in the summer or the raccoons will go after them.

·
Still needs a life.
12,483 Posts
A few years ago I photographed an albino nutria there, but I did not see one when I took these photos on 11-23-16. An albino's odds of survival against local predators such as coyotes are not good.
Found my old photos of an albino or leucistic nutria taken at the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge on 3-2-13.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
Found my old photos of an albino or leucistic nutria taken at the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge on 3-2-13.
Looks like a beaver - muskrat love child that was dropped in bleach. I don't think we've got them around here, I see a lot of muskrat and they're smaller and more ratlike... and I see a lot of beaver and they're a lot bigger looking.

·
Still needs a life.
12,483 Posts
Looks like a beaver - muskrat love child that was dropped in bleach. I don't think we've got them around here, I see a lot of muskrat and they're smaller and more ratlike... and I see a lot of beaver and they're a lot bigger looking.
We have beavers, muskrats, and river otters in my urban area north of Seattle. You have to take careful note (and/or good photos) when trying to identify a mammal swimming in the water.

·
18,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I remember beaver hunting when I was in Jr. high school. I would cut class and go roaming the hallways in search of beaver. You had to be careful to get an angle of view into the classroom where the teacher couldn't see you. Ground level usually afforded the best chance of seeing a beaver. :)

·
Administrator
12,244 Posts
I remember beaver hunting when I was in Jr. high school. I would cut class and go roaming the hallways in search of beaver. You had to be careful to get an angle of view into the classroom where the teacher couldn't see you. Ground level usually afforded the best chance of seeing a beaver. :)
Yup

·
18,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Here's my anti-bird shots for the day. If I do say so myself, some of my best yet. I have 6 of these F*&%er's in my yard now. I've been trying to trim the number down with my pellet pistol but I'm a pretty bad shot. The sound scared them away and they are right back. Grrrrrrr.

And the Coup de Grace.....

·
Still needs a life.
12,483 Posts
1) A furry-tailed tree rat was running across my backyard fence on Friday the Thirteenth.

I heard a disturbance behind the back shed that included the barking of a squirrel and the crying of a cat. I knew my cat was outside, so I grabbed my camera to take photos of any confrontation and to defend my cat.

2) My cat emerged unscathed.

3) Dexter, my backyard hummer, didn't lift a wing to help my cat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,219 Posts
Set the scene,,, Just when the mini skirt fashion took off. The circular staircase , the inside track offered the best chance for a peek.

To think some people feed the darn squirrels, they do keep the dogs active. Now where is the pics with the crosshairs?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts