Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sit on the terminal awaiting my flight back to Kuwait and to the rest of civilization I can't seem to stop thinking about our project(Daughter and I). I've been told that the tank still has fuel inside and has probably been there for years. Engine does turn over so thats great..I think. I have decided to take the following path on this restoration. I will pay to have the seat restored to it's original state to include the stitching pattern and all side buttons.I spoke to the upholstery fella and he's ready, says 2 day turn around PM me for what hes charging me. The paint will be done by me, The polishing of the polishible parts will be done by me, at this point I do not have intensions to polish the engine. All engine and tranny work will be done by me. The rechroming will be done by a private company and I can't wait to see the estimate. As soon as I arrive I will send you guys pictues and have my assistant take as many pics as possible. My intesion is to be done with the project in 5 days but I heard from this fella named Murphy that all laws apply! so we will see.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good luck. 5 day restos are pretty uncommon though, but hey, at least you have set a goal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can sit around and talk all day about what I would do...

Whats the point of five day resto anyway? Dan

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daniil, I see you like to talk alot, If you dont have anything constructive to say I suggest you shut your mouth. Here are the first pics. I was looking into painting the frame and parts myself but Im going to have a guy do it for me, The bike is in real good complete condition so I am willing to spent some $ on it. Tomorrow I will drop of the paintable parts and the seat as well as the chrome parts. I can see that im going to have issues with the bike, The ignition system has issues as well as the cables and the fact that it hasnt ran since 1974. I will keep you guys posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
ok ammo--not sure about a 5 day resto--but being you made that call 3 days ago---hows your progress--you should be completing it tomorrow to allow the 5th day for sorting--got any pics of the almost complete resto--or were you just taking the piss

·
Registered
160 Posts
I guess , where unlimited funds and acquired parts before the job even starts Than you might get it done in 5 days

For most mere mortals (this would be all of us) it would be a year or more

Pictures would be great to see just the same

Marty

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ammoduc, no need for disrespect here. You just made fun of yourself by placing that post in that particular form. There are a lot of vintage experts here; trust me "five days restorations" are generally laughable by any standards. Good luck. Dan

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
3+ years and not really "done"

3+ years and counting

It took me more than five days to paint the tank alone on the black bike, not including stripping it. I'm sure it can be done quicker by a pro but come on, do the math. Getting the pin striping done took half a day in itself.

A day to completely strip the bike and to deliver all the outsourced work to the shops. Two days to let them do their thing while you strip, paint, and polish parts. A day to gather all the parts you discovered were bad when you stripped painted and polished, another day to retrieve the outsourced parts and assemble the bike.

There ya go, a five day resto. Four if you don't need to replace anything.

In all seriousness, I'm thinking the five day comment was an error? Meant to say something else?

EDIT - one thing to consider, if he really IS getting it done quickly he surely doesn't have time to be poking around on forums talking about it, which is one reason my stuff takes so long to complete!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Member since last week and he tells me to shut up :) Do we have a moderator on this board? Dan

Craig, I have been following your GT since your first posts on Speedzilla board in 2005. It really came a long way! Love the 160 too. Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kwik Kwestion, Craig (or any other expert) - are you ( maybe you did already) going to clear-coat the tank? I've just finished the silver on mine - putting the yellow striping on tonight - and perhaps it could be better protected from the elements with a coat of clear. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Paul, you are hijacking the thread, but OTOH this is the one that NEEDS to be hijacked. To answer your question, I always clearcoated my tanks to prevent any damages from fuel spills, belt rubbing, key scratches etc. It would not be entirely correct though, as those bikes did not come with clearcoated tanks originally. So if you are thinking a councourse type resto- maybe not a good idea. Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
True enough, Dan. It can't be truly original as there were just too many pieces missing, and many parts I've renewed using modern materials - like the paint for example, so I suppose it doesn't really matter. It was the classic barn find, and had been used by "the kids" some thirty-odd years ago, before the last owner got it, and when he couldn't get it running he just stuffed it in the barn - which collapsed a couple of years ago!
It's as original as I can make it, but I do think it's better to use and enjoy the bike for it's intended purpose, while extending its life as long as is financially possible, like your (and Craig's) other beautiful bikes here.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Paul, it is the way to go. I too, built my cafe racer for my personal needs, rather than just for show. It does have a lot of mix and match parts such as racing SS-1 carb, Diablo Demon tires, RK chain etc. I ride it on the streets and 40 year-old parts just would not do for me in these critical for safety areas. So, if you feel like thats what you are building your bike for, then it does not even matter what the "experts" say. Afterall, with all those mods, my Ducati took Best Vintage award at this year Ducati Showdown at Laguna Seca. Completely unexpected! Dan

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The maroon bike is clearcoated because it has to be - the base color requires it. With no clear it would be a dull finish with zero resistance to chemicals.

On the black and silver bike, the pearl silver is cleared (again because it has to be) but the black isn't. Except for the tank, that's cleared to level out the layers/graphics but then the pinstripe is put on OVER the clearcoat. I don't like the looks of clear over the stripe. In fact I'd prefer no clear at all, but the colors I gravitate towards seem to require it!

The pinstriper told me to wax the tank to keep the gas off the stripe. the wax isn't great but it helps protect the stripe at least a little in case of a gas spill. And if it DOES get a spill on it, to dab the gas up instead of wiping it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"but then the pinstripe is put on OVER the clearcoat"

Why? (you thought I'd never ask, right?)

What type of paint are you using, Craig? My "silver" is Nason Full-Thane three-part urethane and is pretty fuel-resistant; i.e. keep it well waxed, as the man says, and it should be fine.. I just finished the tank tonight, and it looks great, but I still think I will clear-coat it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
"but then the pinstripe is put on OVER the clearcoat"

Why? (you thought I'd never ask, right?)

What type of paint are you using, Craig?
The stripes on my bike were done by hand. If they were clear coated I think they'd lose some of the "by hand" look/feel.

I'm using House of Kolor paint on these two bikes. The metallics and pearls need to be cleared, they're not designed to be used on their own.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts