Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I May have fried my resistor while extending the wiring from the switch to the solenoid. Does anyone know what resistor I need In the event I need to replace mine? I blew the 7.5 fuse and have yet to replace it but wanted to be ready to fix it right away with the resistor if i need to.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Never heard of a starting switch resistor. What's wrong with just replacing the fuse? I don't get it.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
If you're talking about the small component that's across the solenoid, it's a diode, not a resistor. It's there to snuff the CEMF spike tha occurs when the solenoid coil is de-energized. CEMF = Counter EMF (electomotive force, a.k.a voltage). Anyway, it's a voltage spike, and it can be nasty to the other electronics on the bike if left to run without the diode. Note that the diode goes in reverse-biased, so that it grabs the negative polarity spike. If you place it in forward biased, it'll blow as soon as you hit the start button.

this is the correct way for the solenoid: + ------|<|----- -

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
If you're talking about the small component that's across the solenoid, it's a diode, not a resistor. It's there to snuff the CEMF spike tha occurs when the solenoid coil is de-energized. CEMF = Counter EMF (electomotive force, a.k.a voltage). Anyway, it's a voltage spike, and it can be nasty to the other electronics on the bike if left to run without the diode. Note that the diode goes in reverse-biased, so that it grabs the negative polarity spike. If you place it in forward biased, it'll blow as soon as you hit the start button.

this is the correct way for the solenoid: + ------|<|----- -
That's interesting, thanks for posting that. I didn't know these had them. I would hope the blown fuse saved it but I would sure check it with an ohm meter.

You should only get continuity in one direction (that's what the arrow means). I guess this should be a good warning to not trouble shoot with voltage like on a simpler machine. A VOM (volt ohm meter) should tell you what you need to know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help but luckily I just blew the fuse. Im Gonna remember this info for future reference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts