Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Question. I only have one Black ignition key with my 06 SC1000.

I understand that I can get copies of the Black key - that's ok.

What are the issues related to not having the Red key???
For example, will I still be able to change out the ECU and make other mods like upgrading the pipes etc?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Hi guys

For example, will I still be able to change out the ECU and make other mods like upgrading the pipes etc?

yes you will still be able to put in a new set of pipes and ECU. You will just not be able to "mate" that ecu with your red key.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. Ok, so how problematic is this going to be in the future for me?
What's the worst that can happen?
And can I get a Red key?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here in the USA, it is my understanding that you need the red key to "teach" the new black key the instrument cluster security codes. Without which the cluster will not enable the ECU. Like a VW/Audi, you have to go to a dealer with a red key and all black keys. They erase them all and relearn all including the new one. Might be different in Zland.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Bob's spot on -- you won't be able to mate your ECU/Dash with new black keys, so the remaining black keys you have are a bit valuable.

one solution I read a while back (don't know if it actually works) is to zip tie a black key to your frame under the tank so the dash can read it and you can then use new cut black keys.

I think it was from '08 on, they have a red key and a code card so one or the other is ok. do you have the code card?

worst case scenario is you have to buy a new dash/red key combo in the event you lose your operating black key and have no red key/code card.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi guys

The main purpose of the RED Key is for "programming" NEW Black keys to work with the immobilizer unit.
When you have a brand new black key cut there is a code written into it (in the immobilizer chip build into the key), by using the RED Key (and the programming procedure described in the manual) you are "allowing" the new Black key to be "recognized" by the immobilizer unit and start the engine.
Since there are now the so called "key cloning devices" that can make "copies" of Black keys there is no need for the RED key to make additional Black keys.
There is no way to make a Black key if you don't have any OR a RED Key.
You cannot "clone" the RED Key and you cannot make one if you lose it.
Also, with a RED Key you can make the ECU and the immobilizer unit (which is build into the instruments cluster) a permanent "pair", but a new "virgin" ECU will work as it should without "pairing" with the immobilizer unit.
In short, the RED key comes in handy if you lose ALL the black keys, if you have ONLY the RED Key you can "program" brand new Black keys.
The OEM Black key is the Silca KW17T5.

http://www.allmotorcyclekeys.com/proddetail.php?prod=KW17T5

Immobilizer Description and Specifications Manual - DucatiWiki

Ducati immobilizer/ECU and key programming - DucatiWiki

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are brilliant. Thanks for all the information, I'll ensure I get some copies of the Black Key made - problem solved. Big thanks to all the forum members who are constantly sharing their experience and expertise for the benefit of other forum members and their SC1000 community.
Cheers guys
Matiu

·
Registered
83 Posts
So what about a 2012 Ducati Monster that I might buy from an auction that has no key...Do I have to send the ecu out and pay 400 to get new keys made?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi! I bought last year a brand new SC1000 2006 with all 3 keys. This means my ECU is virgin? Do i need to program it or something? I have never used the red key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts