Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 649 Posts

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jumped in with cold feet, bought a cheapie propane smoker for $100 (found a deal on SD.net).

First time ever

ABT's with cream cheese, chorizo, wrapped in pepper bacon.

Tomorrow morning I'll start a 10 lb butt, and maybe next weekend I'll try some ribs.

·
The Dude
4,391 Posts
Duuuuude, that looks awesome!

Oh yes! I'm feeling a smoking competition coming soon.

I'm scouting the area for a good smoker, my neighbor is a pro & I'll be using his advice for a starter smoker.

I'm pretty handy with a Weber so you need to fear me.

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
YEah Baby!!!

They have come a long way from when the first settlers learned how to do fish from the Indians..

They used to get some smoke fire going at the bottom of a ditch/hole ,etc and put the carp on a board close somewhat down wind then smoke it with just about anything that would create smoke ...leaves green wood twigs..
let it smoke for a few hours then get the carp and board then seperate them and throw away the carp and eat the board..

Ive had some great smoked meats and some pretty bad stuff too...
Best part is you did it yourself!!!
Good stuff

·
Registered
750 Posts
Jumped in with cold feet, bought a cheapie propane smoker for $100 (found a deal on SD.net).

First time ever

ABT's with cream cheese, chorizo, wrapped in pepper bacon.

Tomorrow morning I'll start a 10 lb butt, and maybe next weekend I'll try some ribs.
I bought my first smoker 7 or 8 years ago and love to BBQ. I threw away my gas grill after the first season and now I've got a BGE, an electric smoker (winter use) a Weber Kettle and the offset (it's a cheapy) which I burn wood in. I thought I would keep the gas grill around for convenience, but I can be grilling in 15 minutes with the BGE so the thing just sat there looking sorry!

There's a big downside to learning how to make yummy food on your smoker. When you go to someone's house for an afternoon BBQ you will have to suck it up when they grill simple dogs and burgers! :) You'll have to keep your mouth shut when people tell you how good their oven baked/foil wrapped ribs are too, knowing what real ribs are supposed to taste like!

·
Temporary greeter
23,070 Posts
There's a big downside to learning how to make yummy food on your smoker. When you go to someone's house for an afternoon BBQ you will have to suck it up when they grill simple dogs and burgers! :) You'll have to keep your mouth shut when people tell you how good their oven baked/foil wrapped ribs are too, knowing what real ribs are supposed to taste like!
BBQ is NOT a verb!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
PFFFT, real men do it with hardwood charcoal or just good ole aged wood!

Enjoy, lots of yummy tastes ahead.

Love the apple wood on chicken.
Alder wood on fish.
Mesquite on beef.
Hickory on pork.

Fun to mix and match, what wood to begin with and what to finish with.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts

Alder wood on fish.
Mesquite on beef.
Hickory on pork.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but this has to be one of the more astute and level headed comments ever posted on this forum about any subject matter.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Alder wood on fish.
Mesquite on beef.
Hickory on pork.

I do it the Viking way. I smoke my meat with the limbs and defeated soul of my enemy. VALHALALALALALLALALALALALALALLA!!!!!!!

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
BBQ is NOT a verb!
Hell, down here it is a religion! With about as many variants. :D
I consider myself a theologian in this regard!

That original shot looked great (and very tasty), by the way!

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I bought my first smoker 7 or 8 years ago and love to cookout. I threw away my gas grill after the first season and now I've got a BGE, an electric smoker (winter use) a Weber Kettle and the offset (it's a cheapy) which I burn wood in. I thought I would keep the gas grill around for convenience, but I can be grilling in 15 minutes with the BGE so the thing just sat there looking sorry!

There's a big downside to learning how to make yummy food on your smoker. When you go to someone's house for an afternoon cookout you will have to suck it up when they grill simple dogs and burgers! :) You'll have to keep your mouth shut when people tell you how good their oven baked/foil wrapped ribs are too, knowing what real ribs are supposed to taste like!
Fixed it for ya!

You do make a good point about having to attend other cookouts and listen to folks brag about their little smoker box and wood chips that they added to their gas grill :eek:

Keep us posted Theo, looks delicious!

I may have to make some ribs tonight :D

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I bought my first smoker 7 or 8 years ago and love to BBQ. I threw away my gas grill after the first season and now I've got a BGE, an electric smoker (winter use) a Weber Kettle and the offset (it's a cheapy) which I burn wood in. I thought I would keep the gas grill around for convenience, but I can be grilling in 15 minutes with the BGE so the thing just sat there looking sorry!

Nothing wrong with partially cooking ribs in foil. 2 hours low roast in an oven with alum and some ginger ale. Then hit the smoker. ;) Trust me.

And don't forget to use the remnants of your fallen enemies as fuel. :)

BBQ isn't a word, so it can be anything it wants. Barbecue is an adverb and noun. AND it is not smoking........ I am really annoyed by the term "cueing" outside of a Brit waiting in line.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Now I'm looking through the Craigslist ads for one of these and I live in an apartment where grills aren't allowed. I'm gonna have to find a plot of land just to chain my smoker to and pull up my lawn chairs at with a cooler of beer.

1 - 20 of 649 Posts