Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a friendly memo from the policeman at the gas station telling my bike is just too loud and that most cops would be writing me a ticket . He said he's giving me a break and to quiet it down a bit . I dont have a problem with using db killers but I had bike tuned without them . You guys think mapping would be ok with db's installed?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyone on here with 2-1-2 termi slip ons on a 796 think theirs is too loud without db's?
I have termi 2-1-2 without db's. Love that sound! :)

I still have to do cat delete. Maybe after that I put moded db's back to get some backpressure.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just got a friendly memo from the policeman at the gas station telling my bike is just too loud and that most cops would be writing me a ticket . He said he's giving me a break and to quiet it down a bit . I dont have a problem with using db killers but I had bike tuned without them . You guys think mapping would be ok with db's installed?
he definately wouldn't like my termi 2 into 1 without the baffle.

Given that the termi 2 into 1 can be run with or without a baffle leads me to think that your mapping would be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Pop em in and try it, you'll know pretty much if its running ok, won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
327 Posts
or just look into the law and see what it really says about sound regulation, if any.. just because they have a badge and a gun doesn't mean they're right about everything and can say whatever they want.

disclaimer: i'm not a hater of cops.. i grew up a cop's kid and know a lot of them.. the truth in the matter is, a lot of cops are A-Holes

look into your local law and see if you can be cited for your pipes... it sounds like he was giving you a 'break' because there is no foot for him to stand on.

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS, people!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the Zard Top Guns with the DB killers removed and the sound is sooo sweeeet!!! It runs fine and no heat from the LEO's as of yet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
According to several sources you are required to have a muffler but there is no sound criteria. You are legal to run your pipes as is in the state of Virginia. Be safe.

State-by-state motorcycle laws

·
Registered
273 Posts
or just look into the law and see what it really says about sound regulation, if any.. just because they have a badge and a gun doesn't mean they're right about everything and can say whatever they want.

disclaimer: i'm not a hater of cops.. i grew up a cop's kid and know a lot of them.. the truth in the matter is, a lot of cops are A-Holes

look into your local law and see if you can be cited for your pipes... it sounds like he was giving you a 'break' because there is no foot for him to stand on.

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS, people!
Yeah, you might as well check to make sure it's not BS, but I think you'll find most places have a sound ordinance on the books and if there is no specific db limit it would be up to the discretion of the officer which in itself if BS.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
the guy probably gave ya a break. Use it and find out if there are any noise limits. No harm in looking, maybe the guy was being nice or being a jerk, but he did not hassle you so it sounds like a good opportunity to find out for yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Yeah, i found it pretty informative. Kind of nice to look at before going cross country.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Virginia: The exhaust system must be no louder than the original factory equipment.

so how will the policeman prove that what he's got is louder than the factory? :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Virginia: The exhaust system must be no louder than the original factory equipment.

so how will the policeman prove that what he's got is louder than the factory? :D
I could be mistaken but I believe one of the manufacturers stickers has the exhaust db info on it, if he has a sound meter he can measure it... I have seen this happen.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I could be mistaken but I believe one of the manufacturers stickers has the exhaust db info on it, if he has a sound meter he can measure it... I have seen this happen.
from what i understand the police officer has to be trained to use the DB sound meter in order to administer the law. similar to taking a breathalyzer test.. if the officer is not trained to use that device how can he/she know if it is an accurate reading..

again, just because they wear a uniform, have a gun and a badge does not mean they're right and can do whatever they want...

·
Registered
327 Posts

THIS!

i'm not saying run around buzzing the exhaust as loud as you possibly can but this is like getting a ticket for speeding without the cop using a tried and true method to detect your speed.

'i pulled you over and am citing you for driving 78 miles per hour in a 65mph zone'
how did you determine my speed officer? you were driving the other direction
'you looked like you were going that fast'

^^does not hold water... neither does the subjective determination by one's ear on whether or not the exhaust pipes are louder than what came from the factory..

·
Registered
600 Posts
This is a good resource. However, cities can also introduce bylaws limiting the amount of noise (dbs) a motorcycle can emit. In fact Calgary is the first city to start using a roadside test. The video says it all. There are at least a couple cities in B.C. that are targeting motorcycles with 'noisy' exhausts. Global Calgary | City's
In less than 10 seconds I found this nice little compilation. You can too.
Motorcycle Noise Limits | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Lot's of other goodies in that site as well. Great little reference, IMHO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts