Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
Looks like speculation to me. A lot of those same ideas were expressed here by various members. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Personally, while I love the Tamburini superbike look (obviously, I own one), I think going back to that design would be a mistake. I do think the Terblanche superbike look needs to be replaced (or at least modified), but I think taking a step backward is a step in the wrong direction.

My humble opinion, of course.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It looks like Ducati is trying to appeal to BOTH camps. A combination of Tamburini and Ter"blah"nche. The "1200" part is nice .

·
Registered
80 Posts
i think thats a bunch of 916 owners that made that thing up and wish it would come out like that. ducati has a beautiful bike in the 916 series... stunning i can't wait to get one (a 998... i like the testastratta motor) but i also love the 999.
i don't think a company will do well to take a step backward in styling, even if its to such a popular design. they need to inovate and give people something new, otherwise people will just go get a used 916 series for a quarter of the price.
i do agree that the 999 needs to be changed though... but i'd like to bring up chris bangle. he is the top designer for BMW, and he has certianly agravated many of the BMW faithful who were used to simple designs that didn't push the styleing envelope. Many people in the industry consider his designs "ruining" a BMW. but his designs sell, and sell very very well. in addition to that, his designs are infuliencing the rest of the auto-desgin world to copy him. take at look at the new mercedes s class... that raised truck lid is the signature "bangle butt" from the 7 series. i can give many more examples... and now when you see a BMW it is alot edgier than before... i personally like it. and i think that possibly, the controversal designs of current ducati may later be looked on as classic and timeless the way the 916 bikes are, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If Ducati launches a NEW bike that looks that good.. Im going into DEBT. Unfortunately I dont see it happening.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I think going forward is the best policy.

So what is the deal about C Bangle ? I remember an article from the 10 March 05 Journal in which it was stated that in the first three years of each of his designs, they sold fewer units than the preceeding year. In that article he was quoted as saying that he was "hired to design art cars so that is what he does." Hmmmmm.

But...he is hanging in there. Somebody must appreciate him. Personally I am not a BMW enthusiast...Bangle or earlier. BTW was he in the band the "Bangles" ?

Fox said:
i think thats a bunch of 916 owners that made that thing up and wish it would come out like that. ducati has a beautiful bike in the 916 series... stunning i can't wait to get one (a 998... i like the testastratta motor) but i also love the 999.
i don't think a company will do well to take a step backward in styling, even if its to such a popular design. they need to inovate and give people something new, otherwise people will just go get a used 916 series for a quarter of the price.
i do agree that the 999 needs to be changed though... but i'd like to bring up chris bangle. he is the top designer for BMW, and he has certianly agravated many of the BMW faithful who were used to simple designs that didn't push the styleing envelope. Many people in the industry consider his designs "ruining" a BMW. but his designs sell, and sell very very well. in addition to that, his designs are infuliencing the rest of the auto-desgin world to copy him. take at look at the new mercedes s class... that raised truck lid is the signature "bangle butt" from the 7 series. i can give many more examples... and now when you see a BMW it is alot edgier than before... i personally like it. and i think that possibly, the controversal designs of current ducati may later be looked on as classic and timeless the way the 916 bikes are, we'll see.

·
Administrator
6,214 Posts
Crap! I smell crap!

The fields of BS overflow with this fertilizer.

I can photochop better than that.

Me thinks this has little reality to it.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ducati 1200

Why would Ducati produce a 1200 when all the action is in the 1000cc class? Yes, I know more displacement could give Ducati a performance edge, but the Superbike racing tie-in would be lost.

I have a crazy idea: Leave the displacement at 1000cc and reduce the weight to obtain the desired power/weight ratio. Nah, Ducati wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Of course it is crazy to expect a light weight bike from Ducati for all that sticker price ! lol....

But, a 1200 would be nice as a factory performance/factory warrantee covered option for those who insist on accel as the measure of all things.

rz33v4 said:
Why would Ducati produce a 1200 when all the action is in the 1000cc class? Yes, I know more displacement could give Ducati a performance edge, but the Superbike racing tie-in would be lost.

I have a crazy idea: Leave the displacement at 1000cc and reduce the weight to obtain the desired power/weight ratio. Nah, Ducati wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Who care if Ducati goes back to the 916 style. I think the best that Ducati can for all the Ducati customers is to make it reliable and less $$ to maintain.

StavesacredarK said:
Looks Like A CBR Honda
I agree with that comment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ducati is campaining to get the limit for twins in WSB raised to 1200cc. they are saying that they have gotten almost all they can out of the current displacement twin engine, and the 4 cylinders still have plenty of room to go. and that the twin running in the state of tune it is, it requires too frequent servicing.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
rz33v4 said:
rz33v4 said:

SBK's original equivalency formula granted twins a 33% displacement advantage over four-cylinder 750s. Ducati worked their way up to the current limit in stages over more than a decade. They ran the 851 at first, then 888, 916, 955, 996, 998, 999. Asking any 750/4 to match fully developed limited production homologation special 1000cc twins is probably too much to ask, but it's not the whole story.

The 750's cause was considerably hindered by a very unfair tire war where Michelin refused to supply more than a couple top teams (Ducati and Honda). Uncompetitive rubber will doom an effort as surely as any mechanical handicap.

The series organizers have chosen to address the tire situation by imposing a single supplier rule, so one of the competitive imbalances has been eliminated.

Ducati continues to hang on by producing small batches of hyper-expensive R-series motorcycles, with very short engine lifetimes in full race trim which raise their costs considerably. The SBK rulebook also grants twins certain modifications not available to the fours, like oversized throttlebodies.

Maybe a more sane way to go is allowing twins a smaller displacement advantage and closing the current regulatory loopholes. Raise the homologation limit to discourage those massively expensive specials. Allow a company that wants to produce twins to race something much closer to what it sells the average customer. It would reduce their racing costs, probably considerably. What it would do is rationalize Ducati's program.

It's a winning scenario for everybody: mechanical diversity adds interest and increases exposure for all who compete there. There are ways to accomplish this without binning the whole thing.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
rz33v4 said:
I'm with you on that. Going larger will only lower the rev ceiling and probably make them less relliable unless they do wholesale changes to the cases. Then the engine will weigh more and it's not very light as is. No bikes they make now are what I'd call light.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
SP3 said:
I'm with you on that. Going larger will only lower the rev ceiling and probably make them less relliable unless they do wholesale changes to the cases. Then the engine will weigh more and it's not very light as is. No bikes they make now are what I'd call light.
Not really. If the HP is made off CC's the engine could actually be detuned and make the same power making it more reliable. As far as weight goes the GSX R 600 is only 4lbs light er than the 750. If Suzuki can do that, then Ducati can do it better. As far as rev ceiling goes ... that would depend on the piston size and stroke. If to make the extra 200cc they just used a bigger piston the rev could stay about the same, but if a longer stroke was used it would lower the rev ceiling but it would increase the torque # even more. I can say that I am for Ducati going to a bigger engine I would rather see them make changes to their current valve system to be more reliable and make more power. I would like to see Ducati go to some type of solenoid activated valve train like what Cadillac has been working on. I would eliminate the cams totally. On the other hand I hope they do restyle the 999 soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fox said:
Very true. I totally agree. Also.......that photograph of the bike above would be the last bike Ducati would design. I appologize if I am offending anyone, but that is so disgusting looking. It's a photoshop disaster.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i have never seen a picture of any ducati before ducati wants you to see it.yes there was spy shots of the desi,but its not what it going to look like either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is not a snow ball's chance in hell of a new SBK in '07. If you understand how small Ducati is and what limited budget they must operate, combined with the development costs of the forthcoming and officially announced Hypermotard, the limited production Desmosedici not to mention the soon to be released M695, S4RS and the Sport Classics lineup that's still just being released. Add to that the fact that Ducati typically introduces a limited SBK model with a newer motor in an already existing platform before any major new model, (remember the 996R and 998?), we're 2-3 years away from any so-called 1199 or whatever. Sure, if WSBK were to approve the 1200cc limit for twin racing, it stands to reason a new R could debut in '07, although far more likely in mid-'07 as an '08 model, but I would bet it will appear aestically identical to the current 999R. 2009 or 2010 would then debut a mainstream 1199/1199s in possibly a new set of bodywork.

SSS? Not on a modern sport racing bike. Nothing wrong with sss on a more stylized bike like the Monster or MTS but for racing performance where every gram of unsprung mass is counted, sss flat out SUCK! Wish the Hypermotard would lose that sss as well. Take care

1 - 20 of 25 Posts