Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s called CHROME…. don’t be afraid to look right at it!

I have been doing a bit of clean up to my 06 SportClassic, trying for a nice old-school look that shows off the Swiss-watch nature of the Ducati motor. Hope you enjoy it.

Details
Pic-1: Mid project
Pic-2: From the magic mill of Kent Hall; lightened upper pulley carriers, billet lower pulley cover, stainless covers for the modified bearing holders…. all brush chromed (Ducati performance aluminum pulleys left natural).
Pic-3: Motowheels rear brake kit.
Pic-4: Cam drive installed with new clutch and bright chromed Mad Duc open cover.
Pic-5: Engine shot showing off the custom billet centers Kent made for my Speedymoto pulley covers.
Pic-6: New GT fender with chromed aluminum support.
Pic-7: Custom shaped rear fender, chrome Kellermann blinkers, polished stainless exhaust hanger, chromed bolt.
Pic-8: Fill right side view.
Pic-9: Chrome shock bolts and other shiny bits.
Pic-10: License plate mount and blinker mounts – more machined 6061 billet goodness from Mr. Hall.

More to come next winter, but now it’s time to ride!

Cheers,
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Are they new tires.??..
Fantastic job Lee but that bike is way too clean... need to ride it in the rain a few times like GTRossi!:D
Sexy little turn signals... reminds me of a suppository.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now that is pretty slick!:D
Couple of questions. Why brushed chrome instead of just polishing the aluminum? Also, I have been wondering about the exposed timing belts is see on some bikes. Is there any risk of them being damaged?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I love where you're going with this! Very clean, tasteful, and completely in character. Nice nice nice.:cool:

The garage is cool too...

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
That is looking very sharp Lee. Beautiful.

thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I guess you could call it de-de-bling!:D

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Screw that, chrome everything! :D
Awh hell no!

Nickle-Plate is the new old-school Chrome....

But seriously, what is the difference pro/con for Chrome vs Nickle-Plate?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Dude - that is some shiny shizzle you have going on there...

Having spent most of my biking life anodizing or painting everything black, my eyes have only recently been opened to the world of Shiny... and on the right bikes, and the right places, it can work - and I've left a lot of Chrome and bare metal on my cafe Z1000.

Check out this blingety-bling-bling GT, owned by ex Sex Pistol, Steve Jones.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
These bikes have great lines and take well to both the de-bling and the re-bling treatment.

Personally I think restraint is the key! To control the POP that very shiny parts have, only a few parts on this bike are fully chromed. Most parts are polished aluminum, polished stainless, or brushed chrome, these finishes give a nice glow but are more subtle and stay in the background.

But seriously, what is the difference pro/con for Chrome vs Nickle-Plate?
NExe, The only practical difference between the two platings is the color, nickel has a gold hue and chrome is more silver. I seriously considered nickel plating but was worried that it would not work well with the polished aluminum and stainless.

Next winter the entire front end gets work, I want your headlight MojoDuc !
L.

PS: I am very happy with the new clutch - it is quieter with the open cover than the stocker was with the closed cover!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I've seen two car bumpers side-by-side, one nickel and the other chrome. The chrome was more "white" than the nickel. It's subtle. Like a standard warm light bulb vs. a cool white bulb. I like the nickel and think it would be perfect on a classic vehicle, giving it an old look but just ever so slightly less flashy than chrome.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Looks really nice man. Seeing something different is refreshing. I totally get your watch reference and think that is right on the money. I also appreciate the risk taking involved with customizing a 14k machine that came pretty bitchin' cosmetically off the showroom floor...lol. Personally - I am tired of black (although I think it looks great). To me, black is just so...easy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts