Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its day 2 with the new to me 06 Sport Classic things are
looking good so far other than the slight Shipping Damage
the only other Flaw so far are a few bubbles on the Tank.
A lot like pimples on an other wise pretty face at least they
are in the key well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Just a wild guess but if that white stripe is a vinyl decal like Ducati uses for their name badge, like I just put on a metal tank, those could be air bubbles captured on installation. Once clear coated over, there is not a lot that can be done that I am aware of. Before clear coat, there are some remedies that sometimes work. Personally, I would just ignore them unless you are trying to show your bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Get a hair dryer and a sewing needle.
Poke the air bubble with the needle and use heat to soften up.
Use ur finger to massage it back down
and it won't bubble again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,386 Posts
they will bother you if you let them bother you.
Perfection is boring,
Go get some usual road rash bugs dirt chips grime by riding it and it won't be so noticeable.

Reactions: StraDuc

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
My tank has developed some bubbles as well this year. My tank was professionally Caswell coated, too :| Fuck, what can you do when the mistake is factory?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get a hair dryer and a sewing needle.
Poke the air bubble with the needle and use heat to soften up.
Use ur finger to massage it back down
and it won't bubble again.
sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its too late for that what the flash hid in the 1st pictures
is that the 2 large bubbles are split at the bottom not sure
if the PO popped them or if they just cracked on there own.
This is not a shadow in this picture the stripe is split.

So far this is the biggest Flaw the bike has so I'm not to
worried about it. Belts are changed tires next, registration
on Thursday then its time to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine didn't actually bubble but split the stripe in half entirely in that area. I ended up getting annoyed by it as well and cut out a piece of black vinyl sticker to cover up that area. Hardly noticeable. If you have a vinyl shop do it I'm sure it'd look much better than my 5 minute solution lol

So much for buying a new tank and having coated then. Thanks
I shrunk and caswell coated mine myself. As others have mentioned this combined with ethanol free gas around here and I think I'm in good shape....

Still bought a new tank a few months ago anyways :| Had it coated by GTL advantage cause doing it yourself is rather tedious. The guys are supposed to be the best in the business. As a just in case thing really. Drop the bike, tank is discontinued or something.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine didn't actually bubble but split the stripe in half entirely in that area. I ended up getting annoyed by it as well and cut out a piece of black vinyl sticker to cover up that area. Hardly noticeable. If you have a vinyl shop do it I'm sure it'd look much better than my 5 minute solution lol
That's funny I actually did the same thing last night with some left over black
vinyl wrap. It covers it well since the vinyl is thick you cant see the bubbles
I might see if I can find some white but the black looks OK. I planned on
getting a new tank any way but not right away I still need to live with the
bike awhile before spending too much on it. At this point I could flip the bike
for a small profit if its not a good fit this is the 1st one I have seen in person
or ridden. She will be legal tomorrow after the DMV gets its pound of flesh.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, tell us how that goes.
Not to put on the bike now but to keep in reserve for resale etc.
The prices are only going to go up as these bikes become older.

I have 2 BMW Z3's the wife's car and my daughters some parts
have tripled or more in price over the last 5 years.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I got lucky a few months back. Seller on ebay put up a complete Paul Smart body kit in pristine condition. It was taken off so the owner could track the bike. I got a tank, fairing and windshield, cap for fairing stay, front fender and brace, seat, cowl, 2 mirrors, swingarm (with all inner-outer shoes nuts, spacers, axle, end caps) all for $1300. I couldn't believe I was the only bidder for these things.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I got lucky a few months back. Seller on ebay put up a complete Paul Smart body kit in pristine condition. It was taken off so the owner could track the bike. I got a tank, fairing and windshield, cap for fairing stay, front fender and brace, seat, cowl, 2 mirrors, swingarm (with all inner-outer shoes nuts, spacers, axle, end caps) all for $1300. I couldn't believe I was the only bidder for these things.
  1. I can't believe some knuckle-head would remove all of that AND SELL IT just to make it a race bike! They sound like a couple of cards short of a deck :surprise:
  2. Even if I knew about the sale, $1300 is too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
922 Posts
  1. I can't believe some knuckle-head would remove all of that AND SELL IT just to make it a race bike! They sound like a couple of cards short of a deck :surprise:
  2. Even if I knew about the sale, $1300 is too rich for my blood.
I agree but I am sure glad he did. I now have a complete back up just in case something horrible ever happens. I have 2 back up fairings I can get rid of now. The tank alone would cost what I got all of these things for. And yes, it is a lot of money but since I plan on keeping both my SC's for as long as I am around, I figure it will be worth it someday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts