Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 100 of 436 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I don't know if I agree with many of you. It certainly has styling hints from the Pani. It looks nothing like the Kawi other than 2 wheels and both come in red.

Having owned a 94' 900SS-SP for 2 decades I think it works the same mojo.

My SS was based on the look of the 888, just less engine and better ergos for the street.

This SS is based on the look of the Pani, just less engine and better ergos for the street.

I agree with the concept of air cooled and simpler but...

Modern emission and engine management just make it computer centric to comply. Once you're there adding traction control is cheap and easy and since the competition offers it.... Water cooled is part of the emissions compliance.

I like it,

bob

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
I guess I'm confused by what you guys think this bike should be. Is it because they are calling it an SS and there's a preconceived notion or did it just not meet your inner-most ideals? Who said this bike was supposed to be simple? Why on earth would you care about it being air cooled? It seems that some of you want the new SS to be a retro bike - Am I reading that right? There are just so many ideas about why this thing isn't a new SS and I don't have a clue why it should be any of the things you guys say it should be. I think the name is confusing you. Would you feel better about it if it were called a 950 Sport?

It's not going to be a retro or nostalgic bike so why grouse about it being complicated and modern? Why not look at it for what it is and see if it works for you? OK maybe it doesn't meet your needs - that's OK. My guess is most of you guys who've held on to their SS for all these years are not the target demographic for this new bike, ie. old guys who are rooted in nostalgia. I'd venture that they are looking to tap a different market, maybe guys like me who don't want a race bike but would love to have a modern sport bike that has some ride-ability on the street - that performs in the RPM range that most of us ride in, has all of the modern amenities you'd expect in a 2017 Ducati, and doesn't fatigue its rider in under 20 minutes.

I don't know how this bike is going to pan out but I'm willing to give it a chance. But then again, I didn't have any preconceived ideas related to its name.

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
I don't know if I agree with many of you. It certainly has styling hints from the Pani. It looks nothing like the Kawi other than 2 wheels and both come in red.

My SS was based on the look of the 888, just less engine and better ergos for the street.

This SS is based on the look of the Pani, just less engine and better ergos for the street.

Modern emission and engine management just make it computer centric to comply. Once you're there adding traction control is cheap and easy and since the competition offers it.... Water cooled is part of the emissions compliance.

I like it,

bob
Thank you! 0:)

I only have thing to add: "This SS is based on the look of the Pani, just less engine and better ergos for the street".

I'm hoping it wont be less engine - I think it should be more engine in the right places and less where we don't need it on the street.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
You are reading this wrong flyn, we wanted a new SS and everything that entails, wrapped in an uncluttered no frills simple design.

Yes I am still old school, you can even call me conservative if you like, I still value tradition, and I like names to tell me exactly what I am dealing with, for me men are still men and women are still woman, anything in between is just confusing, for me and the confused.

I would have liked this bike a whole lot better if it was called a Dsxr.

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
When people like myself are talking about simplicity we do not mean simplicity of mechanics or electronics, we are talking about the simplicity of the over all design, the way it pleases the eye like only simple things can do, design without frills.

Take the new Thruxton R for example, it is a new LC bike made to look like a old AC bike, that could not have been easy, to accomplish that was no simple task, yet the end result is something astonishing simple and very pleasing to the eyes, the eyes is not confused by clutter, all the attention is focused on the simplicity of the design and what stands out is the true essence of the bike, the wheels, brakes, suspension, frame, engine and exhaust all combined in harmonious unity.

Somehow all these things are lost with the design of this new SS, somehow it leaves one asking just exactly what it is, yes there are two wheels and some other shit that makes it a motorcycle, what kind of motorcycle it is we do not really know, therefore all this discussion, and comparing it to......., whatever......

If this was a true traditional Ducati Supersport we all would have immediately recognised it as such.
I think you are exactly right. Ducati should have named this bike something else.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts

I like it,

bob
For fear of starting an argument simply from being misunderstood - Please bear with me on this though...

The SS was around for quite a while before the 851 as I recall. Shouldn't we say that the Superbikes were really SuperSports with more engine and better ergo's for the track? Sure, the 1991 SS was updated cosmetically to maintain a family resemblance to the 851, but didn't the 851 draw it's inspiration from the F1? That said, the SS has been a Ducati 2V air cooled bike since the early 70's. The 851 with 4 valves, fuel injection and a water pump didn't show up until the late 80's.

Or am I missing a critical piece of Ducati history? I've only been a fan of the company for about two years, so I learn more new stuff all the time.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The last thing I need is a minivan. I haven't even owned a car since 1988.

Which is why my M900 Monster has 256,000 miles on it. Which is also why I need a bike with enough practicality for errands and groceries and carrying stuff to and from work, etc.

Which is why I just might be interested in a modern Ducati SS with decent ergos and a small set of bags attached.

PhilB
I use a small rucksack when necessary.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I once read that the 916 was designed using the female body as it's inspiration. My I suggest that Ducati remember this when they come to update the SS?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Would you feel better about it if it were called a 950 Sport?
I'd like to see more trellis frame, and engine. The "950 Sport"? How 'bout the 1/2 faired "cr" version? Maybe for 2018?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Shiiiit, my memory is not so good after all, I forgot 'bout you and that M900, RESPECT man, that is hard core.

Trust me, you don't need the new SS, can I send you a backpack, you know, for the groceries and stuff.
That's what I've been doing for the last 23 years. I've got a backpack; I've got a tankbag; I've got lots of bungees. I actually did track down and buy a set of hardbags for it, but I haven't mounted them yet because I need to modify the brackets to be compatible with my aftermarket Cycle Cat rearsets. I'm doing about 1000 miles this coming weekend, going to the Vintage Bike Races at Barber in Alabama and camping at the track, with my stuff in a tankbag and/or backpack, and my bedroll bungeed to the passenger perch.

PhilB

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
I think the bottom line is you guys dont want a new SS you want a new Retro; sort of the "SS classic". But which version? The bevel? The 851? The "Colani/Terblanche" Supermono? I'd bet you guys can't even agree on that... :nerd:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
When people like myself are talking about simplicity we do not mean simplicity of mechanics or electronics, we are talking about the simplicity of the over all design, the way it pleases the eye like only simple things can do, design without frills.

Take the new Thruxton R for example, it is a new LC bike made to look like a old AC bike, that could not have been easy, to accomplish that was no simple task, yet the end result is something astonishing simple and very pleasing to the eyes, the eyes is not confused by clutter, all the attention is focused on the simplicity of the design and what stands out is the true essence of the bike, the wheels, brakes, suspension, frame, engine and exhaust all combined in harmonious unity.

Somehow all these things are lost with the design of this new SS, somehow it leaves one asking just exactly what it is, yes there are two wheels and some other shit that makes it a motorcycle, what kind of motorcycle it is we do not really know, therefore all this discussion, and comparing it to......., whatever......

If this was a true traditional Ducati Supersport we all would have immediately recognised it as such.
I really like the new Bonnevilles, especially the Thruxtons, but those bikes have a nostalgic design direction, like the BMW RnineT. Nothing wrong with that, but this new SS was not intended for that audience.
This SS is for those who might want a Panigale, but realize that the riding position is too severe, the control inputs/outputs a little too direct and the entire experience too taxing for a daily driver. Superbikes are inherently "nervous" machines, always yearning for more RPMs and looking for that next corner. Supersports, in this context, temper that experience somewhat in their trade-off of ultimate performance for improved comfort while still looking decidedly sporty. Supersports bikes have a much broader usage window than Superbikes.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
... Superbikes are inherently "nervous" machines, always yearning for more RPMs and looking for that next corner. Supersports, in this context, temper that experience somewhat in their trade-off of ultimate performance for improved comfort while still looking decidedly sporty. Supersports bikes have a much broader usage window than Superbikes.
This. The new SuperSport is exactly that, and deserves its name just fine.

PhilB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks nice, really cool and seems to be perfect for someone who wants a Panigale style look with comfortable riding.

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
I can see it already - Next year when the SS starts hitting the streets there will be an influx into this section of the forum with new green noobs... All the old guys will have a cow - none of them will have given up their beloved dinosaurs for a new SS and here will come a bunch of whippersnappers. They'll take over the forum with their fancy carbon fiber and guzzi diag downloads... They'll be like: "what's a dry clutch?"

Oh its gonna be fun :grin2:

·
Registered
159 Posts

I'd be interested in purchasing this bike.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Bruce I dont know why it bothers you so much that the Multistrad isn't a dirt bike. Is it because some people say it is? Do you need it to be a dirt bike? Weather it is or isn't and weather people believe it is or isn't makes absolutely no difference in what it does so well - and what it does so well is being a fantastic all-rounder that is practical, high performing, and fun. It's too bad that you have some sort of mental block because you think its posing as something it shouldn't pose as. I dont care that its not a KTM ADV bike - I didnt want a KTM ADV bike. I wanted what the multi excels at and I think most people that buy it do too.
Well, since you asked....by creating it as an "adventure" bike, Ducati changed the ergos. Those ergos make it somewhat uncomfortable for an average guy like me. FWIW, I am 5'9" with a 32" inseam. I do not like the tall seat height. I also do not like it aesthetically. The tall seat and "beak" make it unappealing to me. So, if the PT Supersport is not to your liking, the Multi is not to my liking. I'm not sure I'd accuse you of having a "mental block" though. Maybe just a different opinion. If Ducati had decided to forgo the adventure bike look and ergos they might have created a proper Supersport and I'd be a happy guy. As I previously said, I'm withholding judgement about the "new" Supersport but it looks more like a narrow focused sport bike than a Supersport to me.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts

Bingo!

81 - 100 of 436 Posts