Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looks like Ducati copied my design concept from a few years back (see avatar), a new SuperSport based on the Hypermotard under pinnings.

I proposed the Hypermotard engine only because of concerns over emissions rules. Unfortunately being water cooled will make this bike much heavier than an air cooled engine.

Yesterday I hoped off my Panigale 899 and onto my Frankencati 900SS F.E. two very different bikes. The Frankencati is extensively modified and is smoother to ride than the 899. With the light weight Magnesium wheels (and other weight saving measures) on the Frankencati the first thing you notice is that it feels so much lighter than the Panigale! It has substantially more torque lower in the rev range and you sit in it as opposed to on it.

Both bikes have modified suspension (I do some suspension tuning work) The Panigale has a big piston kit in the front forks and a Nitron race shock and the Frankencati has an aftermarket Ohlins rear shock and my own front forks based on Andreanni cartridges and a few other internal bits from Traction Dynamics and Ohlins with rebound damping in the right fork leg and compression damping in the left fork leg. Both bikes front suspensions work extremely well but the rear suspension on the Frankencati allows it to soak up bumps that are jarring on the more race orientated Panigale. The steering geometry and ergonomics on the Panigale are vastly superior and the ABS has I think on one occassion probably saved my life.

I would love a modern SuperSport in my garage and I kind of like the look of the new SuperSport but will reserve judgement until I see it in the flesh. To me it is everything a SuperSport needs to be but it to win my heart it better be much lighter than the Panigale.

Video of the Frankencati https://youtu.be/l6u5wi9Mvjo

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
...... just for errands and groceries and carrying stuff to and from work, etc.
It was just there that I realised I am part of an experiment in mass disillusionment, fug I dunno, maybe I just picket the wrong mushrooms this morning, in which case some of you guys don't need a new Ducati, yous need a new minivan.

On the Supermono, there are very few bikes purer in purpose than that, that is the epitome of simple, >:) wanting anything more than that on a bike is like wanting tits on a bull, and if that is what you want, well then maybe you need to be somewhere else, this is the SUPERSPORT section of this forum for fug sakes, I'm of to the small house with the little green man on the door.

·
Bon Vivant
10,573 Posts
I hate to butt in, but dude, you need to rethink the pig part. Name an under 600 cc single that even comes close. :)
Uh OK, Pig was probably not the right word since I wasn't referring to its weight or performance. I think the design is nasty.

And Ducpton, you call this engine the epitome of simple?

Everybody is calling this bike a Panigale with less power. What I find interesting is that most of you think the bike looks like the Pani but here's the thing; The panigale has that crazy whacked out over-square engine that works really well on the track but lacks punch on the street. A lot of us miss what the old 1098/1198 provided in street performance and people that wanted that didn't buy the pani. This new bike takes us back to that power in the low mid ranges that the pani configuration lacks and to me that makes it a far better street bike than the panigale and exactly what Ducati needed in its line-up. A panigale with more power where we need it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Only yours is actually better, because it is simpleler.
There are elements of their design that I much prefer. I quite like the rear section of the bike. I thin everyone will agree that Ducatis design is better.

got a very interesting reaction when I showed the design at a Ducati function a couple of years back. One of the senior Ducati people came and asked to have another look at the images later in the evening and I could tell they were intrigued by the idea but told me they doubted they would ever do another SuperSport.

Click on the thumbnail below for larger image.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
... just for errands and groceries and carrying stuff to and from work, etc.
It was just there that I realised I am part of an experiment in mass disillusionment, fug I dunno, maybe I just picket the wrong mushrooms this morning, in which case some of you guys don't need a new Ducati, yous need a new minivan. ...
The last thing I need is a minivan. I haven't even owned a car since 1988.

Which is why my M900 Monster has 256,000 miles on it. Which is also why I need a bike with enough practicality for errands and groceries and carrying stuff to and from work, etc.

Which is why I just might be interested in a modern Ducati SS with decent ergos and a small set of bags attached.

PhilB

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it depends what SS means to you and when you got into bikes, not necessarily when you got your first Duc. I loved the mid nineties SS when they came out but could not afford one.

I like a simple bike, no crap and not water cooled. I know modern air cooled bikes are dwindling out but they have an appeal.
Id have a 916 shape bike too, they have style and attitude.

I like my 95 cause it has some attitude. And the flatslides cough sometimes and she dont like to doodle along in a high gear. The spaghetti flows and carbons boom.
If I wanted a modern bike with the edges taken off I probably wouldnt buy a Duc. But I dont want a bike like that.
SS to me needs attitude. Id love a bevel too.
I have a Mondeo if I want nice and easy and to carry groceries. Its great at that but dull as white flour.

You can keep you plastic ugly kawazuki generic dog bike. ie the new SS.

But ABS is a good thing on any road vehicle. I would add that to my 95 if I could any gizzmo.
I dont need traction control. Its an old SS and I can look at the road surface myself but ABS saves lives. It doesnt belong on a track.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
flynbulldog

You know I agree with you on what a SS means but for different reasons. A Ducati SS is very much a 70's muscle car for me. They are not supercars from the day but were great simple cars that still have a lot of Visceral appeal.

I am torn on the new SS I do not care for about 70% of the styling and I have no interest in a superbike in sheep's clothing. I know that there will be plenty who love it and it will most certainly eclipse the older supersports in many performance areas. I get that the emissions standards are making it tough to make bikes simple, I just do not see any interest from the factory to make this bike simple.

As they used to say at BCM "there is an ass for every seat"
I will wait to see if this one fits mine but so far there are better fits for me.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
i don't like the design as much as i did the earlier teaser (prototype) photos. looks exactly like a Pani hybrid and i don't care very much for the styling (it really does resemble the Kawasaki that Chuckracer posted up). a bit of a nod to yesteryear versus super modern and i may have cared a bit more. this could've been the bike for me (ex-'95 SS/SP owner) as i don't want another superbike (but like the Pani in comparison), i'm not in love with the Monster design nor do i care for the Scrambler. I don't think that an air-cooled 1200 from year's past would change my mind (would look almost weird with the modern fairings around it) but it is a power plant that i wish Ducati still employed.

looking forward to seeing it in dealer showrooms but it's not a bike i'm going to put a deposit on. i'm ok with it, just don't love it at this juncture.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
flynbulldog

You know I agree with you on what a SS means but for different reasons. A Ducati SS is very much a 70's muscle car for me. They are not supercars from the day but were great simple cars that still have a lot of Visceral appeal.

I am torn on the new SS I do not care for about 70% of the styling and I have no interest in a superbike in sheep's clothing. I know that there will be plenty who love it and it will most certainly eclipse the older supersports in many performance areas. I get that the emissions standards are making it tough to make bikes simple, I just do not see any interest from the factory to make this bike simple.

As they used to say at BCM "there is an ass for every seat"
I will wait to see if this one fits mine but so far there are better fits for me.
ducvet, you (and a number of others here) are bemoaning the loss of simplicity in the new SS, but what would you have Ducati do? Whether you like it or not, an increased use of electronics is a fact of life, not just in motorcycles, but in cars/trucks as well. Manufacturers must meet worldwide noise and emissions regulation too and I'm sure they'd like the resulting product to be accepted by the buying public in terms of performance. Air cooled, 2V engines are now mostly history, as they don't perform as well as water cooled, 4V engines and make the regulatory task tougher with little benefit save maintenance costs.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
When people like myself are talking about simplicity we do not mean simplicity of mechanics or electronics, we are talking about the simplicity of the over all design, the way it pleases the eye like only simple things can do, design without frills.

Take the new Thruxton R for example, it is a new LC bike made to look like a old AC bike, that could not have been easy, to accomplish that was no simple task, yet the end result is something astonishing simple and very pleasing to the eyes, the eyes is not confused by clutter, all the attention is focused on the simplicity of the design and what stands out is the true essence of the bike, the wheels, brakes, suspension, frame, engine and exhaust all combined in harmonious unity.

Somehow all these things are lost with the design of this new SS, somehow it leaves one asking just exactly what it is, yes there are two wheels and some other shit that makes it a motorcycle, what kind of motorcycle it is we do not really know, therefore all this discussion, and comparing it to......., whatever......

If this was a true traditional Ducati Supersport we all would have immediately recognised it as such.

61 - 80 of 436 Posts