Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

421 - 436 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
I have to agree with Chuck

The bike seems nice, it's the endless debates and the same things being said ad nauseum by the same people in multiple threads I'm sick of.

·
Registered
457 Posts
For my part, I'm looking forward to the new SS. As an ST owner, and not being overly familiar with the previous SS's, I see this bike more as a new ST.

For me, the MTS just wasn't a natural evolution of the ST; it was bigger, heavier, costlier, and its design more targeted to the ADV market. Don't get me wrong --if I had unlimited funds I'd have a Pike's Peak in my stable in a heartbeat..

To me, the new SS could be one of the more appealing and true ST's out there today.

·
Registered
90 Posts
ST2 owner here. I have test ridden most of the recent Ducati bikes, looking for a modern version of the same thing. I agree with the deviant above. Hoping that the new SS with some good luggage is what we are looking for.
Then I will buy one second hand in a few years time. Once they fix all the problems that the first few will inevitably have.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
For my part, I'm looking forward to the new SS. As an ST owner, and not being overly familiar with the previous SS's, I see this bike more as a new ST.

For me, the MTS just wasn't a natural evolution of the ST; it was bigger, heavier, costlier, and its design more targeted to the ADV market. Don't get me wrong --if I had unlimited funds I'd have a Pike's Peak in my stable in a heartbeat..

To me, the new SS could be one of the more appealing and true ST's out there today.
As the previous owner of a '99 SS and having friends who ride STs (and we've traded bikes to sample each other's rides), it will depend on what you expect in terms of "sport touring" capabilities in this new SS. If it's anything like my '99 SS, it will be perfect for one-up riding for hundreds of miles as long as you 1), don't have a lot of gear to carry and 2), don't expect a passenger to be comfy. This bike is not being promoted as an ST replacement, nor does it have the large fixed saddlebags of the ST line.

·
Registered
457 Posts
This bike is not being promoted as an ST replacement, nor does it have the large fixed saddlebags of the ST line.
I hear you. Marketing aside, it's the closest Ducati has come in the last 10 years to an ST. My idea of sport-touring is (I believe) similar to Ducati's; more sport than touring.

The bags could be a deal-breaker for me, but I'm hopeful there will be a way to mount hard cases. I've seen the ST cases mounted on a few Monsters and actually look like a factory setup. I've also seen guys fully loaded on multi-week tours on their Monsters and (at least claim to be) perfectly content. Many of the bikes seem pretty versatile.

I remain hopeful. But we shall see...

...otherwise, there may be a Tursimo Veloce in my future :grin2:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I hear you. Marketing aside, it's the closest Ducati has come in the last 10 years to an ST. My idea of sport-touring is (I believe) similar to Ducati's; more sport than touring.

The bags could be a deal-breaker for me, but I'm hopeful there will be a way to mount hard cases. I've seen the ST cases mounted on a few Monsters and actually look like a factory setup. I've also seen guys fully loaded on multi-week tours on their Monsters and (at least claim to be) perfectly content. Many of the bikes seem pretty versatile.

I remain hopeful. But we shall see...

...otherwise, there may be a Tursimo Veloce in my future :grin2:
Ducati is kind of funny when it comes to what each model should be. I had a 2014 Monster 1200 and talked to one of their California people at the final Indy motoGP about adding some real wind protection to that bike, as it could be used for long-distance riding. I suggested something like the original Monster 1/4 fairing or a little larger, something bigger than the tiny windscreen that covers the gauge cluster they've used so far. Their reply was that they didn't think a larger fairing was consistent with the bike's image, so they weren't going to do one. My point: Don't expect to see hard luggage for the SS, at least not from Ducati.

On your Turismo Veloce comment, I also own an MV F3, so I like that bike. My issue would be traveling distance on that machine with the paucity of dealers in the US. I'm in the Detroit area and have to go to Chicago for service.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Ducati is kind of funny when it comes to what each model should be. I had a 2014 Monster 1200 and talked to one of their California people at the final Indy motoGP about adding some real wind protection to that bike, as it could be used for long-distance riding. I suggested something like the original Monster 1/4 fairing or a little larger, something bigger than the tiny windscreen that covers the gauge cluster they've used so far. Their reply was that they didn't think a larger fairing was consistent with the bike's image, so they weren't going to do one. My point: Don't expect to see hard luggage for the SS, at least not from Ducati.

On your Turismo Veloce comment, I also own an MV F3, so I like that bike. My issue would be traveling distance on that machine with the paucity of dealers in the US. I'm in the Detroit area and have to go to Chicago for service.
Isn't it odd how Ducati confuses themselves? They don't want to put a 1/4 faring on a Monster (a very good solution IMO) because it isn't consistent with the image but they build a Multi with the idea that it's a "do all" bike. Then they build the Multi strictly to ADV ergos rather than making it truly "do all." As I've said before, I've got my SS1000DS so the chances of me selling it for another bike are minimal. But, I've often thought Ducati could have turned the Monster, Multi and even the SC line into the new SS without much effort. Strange. At least to me. BTW, that MV F3 is gorgeous. IMO what the 998 should have evolved into.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Bruce
It is funny I work on a number of Mv's and as a mechanic outside of the obvious motor differences they are built much closer to a 998 than a modern Ducati is. Most items are well thought out and make sense without extra parts just to have them.

It seems the further we get away from Massimo Tamburini's designs the more they become like everything else. I think it would be great for any bike designer to be forced to work on bikes for a year. We might see a return to his design philosophy.

I do agree with rz33v4 the problem with Mv is not the bikes it is the lack of support, there are not enough dealers in the system. Mv would like to add more for sure but if you are paying attention to their history they do not look to be a safe bet as a business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got to sit on one

:laugh: Adelaide Motorcyle Centre had a reveal evening. The white Silk SuperSport S

I had a sit on this great looking bike, no key : preproduction so they didn't know if it would start up.
Really quite comfortable, I can't wait for a test ride. The white is a nice satin finish so my first thought this bike needs to be wrapped.

:grin2:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Bruce
It is funny I work on a number of Mv's and as a mechanic outside of the obvious motor differences they are built much closer to a 998 than a modern Ducati is. Most items are well thought out and make sense without extra parts just to have them.

It seems the further we get away from Massimo Tamburini's designs the more they become like everything else. I think it would be great for any bike designer to be forced to work on bikes for a year. We might see a return to his design philosophy.

I do agree with rz33v4 the problem with Mv is not the bikes it is the lack of support, there are not enough dealers in the system. Mv would like to add more for sure but if you are paying attention to their history they do not look to be a safe bet as a business.
Probably the most sensible thing written on the thread so far!

·
Registered
432 Posts
:laugh: Adelaide Motorcyle Centre had a reveal evening. The white Silk SuperSport S

I had a sit on this great looking bike, no key : preproduction so they didn't know if it would start up.
Really quite comfortable, I can't wait for a test ride. The white is a nice satin finish so my first thought this bike needs to be wrapped.

:grin2:
& this would be it

Attachments

421 - 436 of 436 Posts