Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If I want a Scrambler I will buy a KTM, seems if I want a proper Supersport I will have to wait for KTM to make that to.

Some of us are talking about the old SS in relation to the 888, the last SS in relation to the 999, meaning I suppose a bike less than the superbike, and not less power, that is a given, not less in design but less in sophistication, something pure and simple, more panhead and less electra glide if you want.

Dammit the Supersport is suppose to be simple, that this new SS is not.
KTM has done some interesting things, but don't expect a Supersport from them. I wish they'd fire Kiska as their design house, however, as as all their bikes are ugly to me.

All things are relative, of course, and I see this new SS as less powerful and less complicated than the Pani models, in trade for more riding comfort. If you're looking for simplicity in today's bikes you'll be sadly disappointed - every manufacturer has taken on electronics and none are easy to work on any more.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
But that soul is modern, complicated, smooth, and powerful, and this new bike looks to follow that path created by the Pani.
Yes, the new SS was supposed to be all that, quick shifter and launch control included, but less, we (I) wanted a proper SS, not a cheaper Pani with passenger seat stuck on, we (I) wanted the sting of the bee without the floating butterfly bits.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yes, the new SS was supposed to be all that, quick shifter and launch control included, but less, we (I) wanted a proper SS, not a cheaper Pani with passenger seat stuck on, we (I) wanted the sting of the bee without the floating butterfly bits.
Given that it's 2016 and not 1995, Ducati did make the new SS less complicated the Pani and more comfortable to ride on the road, which was the intent. If you're looking for less complex solutions I'm afraid you won't find them unless you look to companies like Royal Enfield, which is still stuck in the past. You could always buy an old SS and fix it up instead of buying new.

·
Bon Vivant
10,497 Posts
I fail to see anything that remotely relates to KTM here. What kind of SS do you think KTM would make? Have they ever made anything similar to an SS Duc?
KTM's motorcycles have so very little in common with Ducati I just dont even put them in the same category. Except for the Multistrada Ducati and KTM have nothing competing with each other.

I have to agree with RZ33v4, their bikes are ugly.

I also wonder why you are ragging on the Ducati Scrambler - that bike has Ducati heritage throughout. So you dont like it, fine. but it is what a Ducati scrambler should be and that also has nothing to do with KTM.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,190 Posts
I fail to see anything that remotely relates to KTM here.
The pointy enclosed stubby tail section on the new SS does kinda bear a striking resemblance to the one used on the KTM RC8.

When I saw the rear 3/4 view picture that was the first thought that came to mind. I knew I'd seen that somewhere before.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
I like the bike and the "more comfortable than s superbike" concept a bit of a cross between the ST and SS of old is what I want. The Bike is aiming square between my demographic eyes ?as Im a 47 year old lifetime rider LOL
But im not a fan of rhe adventure styling of the Multi.

I dont like the pipes and Im disappointed with the cable clutch, thats a bit cheap for a bike that will be on par with the baby pani price wise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've long been a fan of this sector of bikes, having owned two 1992 750SS and two Aprilia Falcos. I will most likely be buying the new SuperSport or the new Triumph 765 Street Triple which is rumored to come in an RT version with a half-fairing and hard bags.

That said, the headlights on this new SuperSport look to be a jumbled mess. And I don't understand why the lower front cowl on the red bike is matte black? I imagine I'll buy the white bike and powercoat the wheels black; the red wheels look cool, but will be a disaster to keep clean..

The design brief for this sort of bike should be pretty simple, but it seems like so many manufacturers don't quite get it. A sport bike for the road rider, meaning faired but with reasonable sport ergos. And where are the luggage options? These bikes should be two-up w/o luggage, but who really rides a bike like this with a passenger and with luggage? Nobody. Therefore, give me luggage options that ditch the passenger accomodations, ie: saddlebag racks that completely replace the passenger footpeg assemblies, and a top box that sits on the passenger seating area. If I'm touring with a passenger I'm buying a real sport tourer, not this class of bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Big air cooled mill would be a game changer. So much heart and soul missing without it
Unless there is some special exhaust valve cooling (see HD and BMW) it's probably game-over for the large-displacement, air-cooled engines. Having owned both air and water-cooled bikes, there is no difference in "soul" between the two designs, but the water-cooling makes engines a bit
more complicated for sure.
I disagree. i also see why everyone laughs at the air cooled Porsche purists now hahah

·
Registered
630 Posts
I disagree. i also see why everyone laughs at the air cooled Porsche purists now hahah

I think its down to the euro emissions that you wont see any more air cooled vtwins
To tell you the truth Im surprised the scrambler and the 659 moster are still air cooled

One good thing to come out of them is the ABS as standard on all bikes

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
:surprise: Now you are just preaching to the converted, I'll let you know that I ride the best SSie on this forum :wink2:
Really? Let's see it. I'd contest that with the SS I sold last year. all 390 lbs wet and 95 RWHP of it.

OK, the matte black portion of the fairing is similar to the Kawasaki, but the rest of the design has no relation to it. The Ducati represents contemporary Italian design while the Kawi shows how far behind the Japanese still are in this attribute.

The pointy enclosed stubby tail section on the new SS does kinda bear a striking resemblance to the one used on the KTM RC8.

When I saw the rear 3/4 view picture that was the first thought that came to mind. I knew I'd seen that somewhere before.
Every sporty motorcycle in this time period exhibits a tail something like this. That KTM example, however, is much more hard-edged than this new Ducati.

I like the bike and the "more comfortable than s superbike" concept a bit of a cross between the ST and SS of old is what I want. The Bike is aiming square between my demographic eyes ?as Im a 47 year old lifetime rider LOL
But im not a fan of rhe adventure styling of the Multi.

I dont like the pipes and Im disappointed with the cable clutch, thats a bit cheap for a bike that will be on par with the baby pani price wise.
There will be Ducati accessory alternatives for those pipes if you don't like them.

I have a cable clutch on my MV F3 (after owning many Ducatis with hydraulic clutches) and find no negatives with the cable actuation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I'd contest that with the SS I sold last year.
You CAN NOT do that, that is just not allowed for in the rules, next thing you will want to measure my dick against a dildo you once owned.

Speaking of dildo's, I'm really glad to see Ducati got rid of that suspicious looking hump on the seat.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You CAN NOT do that, that is just not allowed for in the rules, next thing you will want to measure my dick against a dildo you once owned.

Speaking of dildo's, I'm really glad to see Ducati got rid of that suspicious looking hump on the seat.
I recognize you made your comments about your SS in jest, but the reason I'm so interested in this new SS is that I put so much time/effort/money in my 1999 version and kept it for 15 years and 22,000 miles.

21 - 40 of 436 Posts