Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Starting price of 13.290€ for the base model and 14.790 for the S one.

More news at the Intermot expo which takes place in Cologne on 4-10-2016 (that'd be 10-4-2016 for all the 'Murrican peeps :grin2:)

Didn't see any new topics in here, then again, this is ducatiMTS1200.ms so, yeah...>:)

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,181 Posts
The triple Y spoke rims and radial mount front brake calipers are cool but those goofy upper fairing panels extending back to the gas tank appear to be a complete functional design disaster.

Please do us all a favor Rz33v4,when you get your new 2017 SS walk it out to the dealer parking lot (make sure your first insurance payment is payed up) and throw the bike down onto it's side absolutely as hard as you can. Then calmly walk around the bike and pick it up and inspect the damage to the upper fairing panel and gas tank.

Sounds like I'm being a total smartass here but the truth is I'm not. In 2002 Honda redesigned the fairing panels on their VFR800 Intercepter.
They chose to extend the upper fairing panel over the frame rail and slightly cover the gas tank,yellow arrow in my pic.

From a styling standpoint that small change to the fairing looked great but from a functional standpoint it was a disaster.
If you simply dropped the bike hard enough onto it's side that overhanging fairing panel would put a crease in the gas tank in the exact same shape as the back side edge of the fairing panel.
So now you've got a nice little two for one parts repair bill,not only do you need to repair/replace your fairing panel you also need to repair/replace your gas tank as well.

Ask me how I know. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Stosh, I agree the fairing/tank overlap could be an issue in the event of a crash, but I don't expect for that to happen. In the meantime the bike looks good and should be more comfortable than my MV F3 and every other supersport/superbike.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think this new SS looks great and has the "right" specs for the new millenium. This is my next bike.
I remember the cable clutch being a sticking point for you in a previous discussion. Have you moved past that?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I'm not a fan stylistically of it. Too much like a set piece for a Transformers movie, just like every other non-Italian sport bike out there.

That said, there's always been a style pairing between the SS and the Superbike. the 851/888 and the 900SS were stylistically very similar, with the SS having a more comfortable fit. They departed ways with the 916, but re-convened with Tamburini's 999 and SS-ie. Ducat has a history of being a parts-bin manufacturer, but previously it was to raid the SS and Superbike bins to build the Monster. Now they're raiding the Monster and Hyper bins to build the SS, and using design influences from the current Superbike. I think that fairing/Tank wing is supposed to "feel" like the frame cover for the Panigale.

I don't thing the Euro4 standards are problematic, the Scrambler isn't going anywhere and it's still a 2V air cooled mill. And there's scuttlebutt of bringing back the large displacement 2V for a larger Scrambler as a full brand spin-off.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Design-wise, this new SS borrows plenty from the Panigale, as it should. I don't see the Transformers look unless I look to the Far East where it originated.

I guess the air-cooled motors might make a comeback, but I doubt it, at least in large displacement versions. To tough to meet emissions/noise regs.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Not quite what I expected. I was thinking they would introduce some sort of back-to-basics sports bike in the vain of the Scrambler. Something light, simple, torquey and chuckable that would be light on the wallet. I will be interested to see how it is to ride. In all I'm disappointed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not a fan stylistically of it. Too much like a set piece for a Transformers movie, just like every other non-Italian sport bike out there.

That said, there's always been a style pairing between the SS and the Superbike. the 851/888 and the 900SS were stylistically very similar, with the SS having a more comfortable fit. They departed ways with the 916, but re-convened with Tamburini's 999 and SS-ie. Ducat has a history of being a parts-bin manufacturer, but previously it was to raid the SS and Superbike bins to build the Monster. Now they're raiding the Monster and Hyper bins to build the SS, and using design influences from the current Superbike. I think that fairing/Tank wing is supposed to "feel" like the frame cover for the Panigale.

I don't thing the Euro4 standards are problematic, the Scrambler isn't going anywhere and it's still a 2V air cooled mill. And there's scuttlebutt of bringing back the large displacement 2V for a larger Scrambler as a full brand spin-off.
Big air cooled mill would be a game changer. So much heart and soul missing without it

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Seriously I do not see much Italian there anymore, raw and simple was replaced with sleek and sophisticated, it's nice but not beautiful, I'm sure it will ride great, handle well and be very smooth, but it will not stir the senses. The Germans fugged it up, they've changed the Supersport into an overpriced Audi and eventually they will rob Ducati of its soul.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Big air cooled mill would be a game changer. So much heart and soul missing without it
Unless there is some special exhaust valve cooling (see HD and BMW) it's probably game-over for the large-displacement, air-cooled engines. Having owned both air and water-cooled bikes, there is no difference in "soul" between the two designs, but the water-cooling makes engines a bit more complicated for sure.

·
Bon Vivant
10,425 Posts
I dont know what you guys that covet the air cooled motors are on about. I've owned a couple of air-cooled Ducs and several liquid cooled... What are you missing with water cooling? The water fowl have more power, more sophistication, run smoother, and cleaner - they are just better engines and I don't miss a single thing from the air-cooled bikes I've owned. (please don't try to tell me they have more torque on the bottom - they don't) I don't find anything soulful about them. I dont get it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Seriously I do not see much Italian there anymore, raw and simple was replaced with sleek and sophisticated, it's nice but not beautiful, I'm sure it will ride great, handle well and be very smooth, but it will not stir the senses. The Germans fugged it up, they've changed the Supersport into an overpriced Audi and eventually they will rob Ducati of its soul.
"Raw and simple?" Buy a Scrambler.

·
Bon Vivant
10,425 Posts
Audi has robbed Ducatis soul? Ducati's soul has made a huge left turn when the Panigale was introduced. - Not that the Panigale doesn't have a soul - it certainly does. But that soul is modern, complicated, smooth, and powerful, and this new bike looks to follow that path created by the Pani. I agree that Ducati has changed but I dont think Audi has led the way, I think progress has done that. Too bad that we have such a hard time keeping up.

I like the new SS and if I had a chance I would go take one for a spin

·
Registered
87 Posts
I own a '93 900SS, and for me, if I was in the market for a new Duc in this price range I would take the Hyper Motard every time. Arguably the Hyper would be more fun and perform better in a majority of riding applications, bar perhaps focused track days, though I have seen plenty of folks going hard on the tracks on Motards, and, if you buy a new SS as your track day toy, why not the Mini-Pani/Pani?

As I said a few months ago, this bike leaves me cold, its a market position bike, slots in the range. As with the other voices yelling at the wall, give us a big air cooled 2v roadster, the up-spec Scrambler, maybe we will see it , maybe we won't. I would also love to see a Vinduro Scrambler.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
"Raw and simple?" Buy a Scrambler.
If I want a Scrambler I will buy a KTM, seems if I want a proper Supersport I will have to wait for KTM to make that to.

Some of us are talking about the old SS in relation to the 888, the last SS in relation to the 999, meaning I suppose a bike less than the superbike, and not less power, that is a given, not less in design but less in sophistication, something pure and simple, more panhead and less electra glide if you want.

Dammit the Supersport is suppose to be simple, that this new SS is not.

1 - 20 of 436 Posts