Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I celebrate the one year anniversary of my 1200S touring ( rare black of course) ,I start to ponder what bike if any I would trade in/up for if I retire next year and have unlimited ability to ride cross country and general 300-500 mile days. To be clear.. I love this bike. I just had it up on the So Cal canyon roads this weekend and I just cant have more fun on a motorcycle. I have done a few 2 up and solo 200-300 mile days and its better than I thought it would be at that. The power and handling are second to none and I have not had one problem so far. I am just wondering if I really get into some serious cross country stuff I would be more rewarded( IE comfortable) on a R1200 RT or 1600 GT. Not to mention Triumph is coming with the new Trophy that looks nice. Just wondering if any here have come to the Multi from that direction and what folks think.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I love the BMW R1200RT for touring, but the bike does not compare to the Multi....it is soulless. The 1600GT is faster than the 1200, but it is pretty big.

I passed on buying the BMW because it was not fun. It was spectacular on the highway, but this is such a small percentage of my driving. If I were in your situation, I would wait for the Triumph, then decide. The Triumph will be a bit cheaper than the BMW, but heavier by the current specs. Also the RT1200R will have a new liquid cooled engine in 2014....so it will be the RT1250R. The electric windscreen on the BMW coupled with a fantastic stereo makes it a great choice.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had a K1200GT and would prefer it still over the multi, or the R1200RT, if I were doing long distance highway touring or two up touring. Fortunately I live in the west where I don't have to do that kind of riding.

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
I had a BMW R1200RT prior to the Multi. While the RT was in the shop (one of many times, but another story) I had the K1600GTL as a loaner for 3 weeks. First off, the K1600 is a big bike. I'm not a big guy, so at the end of a long ride (~400 miles) it was an effort to move the bike around at low speeds. Secondly, this bike was not finished. Maybe BMW has worked on it, but the fit and finish was sub-par.

As for the R1200RT, it was good for long distance days; however I find the Multi to be better. I did a saddlesore 1k on the RT. By the end of it I was completely beat. I slept the entire next day. I did a SS1k on the Multi in much worse weather and was feeling pretty dang good at the end of it. The next day I was fine.

So, here is my suggestion to you. Go do a SS1k. See how you feel afterwards. If you aren't begging for mercy for the last 250 miles, I think you definitely have the right bike! If you are begging for mercy, perhaps another bike would suit you better for lots and lots of long days in the saddle. Perhaps a Goldwing. (BTW, those things haul ass, especially in the corners)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pass on the Goldwing. I rented a big Harley Road Glide Ultra last year for a 2 up tour thru Montana. Pass on that too. Not my thing. I like the Multi so much so that I bought the extended warranty. Just wondered how others felt about it compared to the big Beemers. I think I have the ride bike. Damn .. I wish they had put cruise control on these things. Big oversight and it would have made so much sense to add it to the "Touring" version. Other than that .. I love it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, I guess my only advice can be- just ride it. Surely you put some 2-500 mile days on it around home, don't you? How can that be any different than 2-500 mile days elsewhere (except for luggage). If it 'fits' you, then the question is answered. If not...well, I can't help much.
My other touring bike is a '74 Moto Guzzi. Kind of a different animal.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Pass on the Goldwing. I rented a big Harley Road Glide Ultra last year for a 2 up tour thru Montana. Pass on that too. Not my thing. I like the Multi so much so that I bought the extended warranty. Just wondered how others felt about it compared to the big Beemers. I think I have the ride bike. Damn .. I wish they had put cruise control on these things. Big oversight and it would have made so much sense to add it to the "Touring" version. Other than that .. I love it.
I think you would find that cruise control would not dramatically improve the bike. I've had several bikes, BMWs and a goldwing, with electronic cruise control, and it's sure been handy, but the Kaoko throttle lock on my multi does what I need it to do, which is give my hand a break for a minute or so on a long stretch of highway. I don't miss the CC much. Would I pay for it as an option, hell yeah. But I'm not going to sell it for the lack.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I'm with KingVolcano and the Surgeon.....if TRUE long distance and all day rides are in your future, I would opt for some other big bike. I too had a RT, it would be one my first choices for open slab riding; it's relatively light, capable in the twisties, über quiet in the cockpit, handles weather well, and offers great amenities (cruise control, nav, BT, sat radio, iPod, heated seats/grips). I liked my RT very much but am still some years away from truly enjoying one (retirement). It isn't the most exciting bike out there but it's almost perfect for all-day travel, ask the California Highway Patrol if you don't believe me. The GS equipped with a GSA fuel tank and Ohlins suspension is another option. Having said that, and as another poster just said, let your butt (and hearing) decide if the MTS12 is up to the job.

See ya,

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
I had a K1200GT and would prefer it still over the multi, or the R1200RT, if I were doing long distance highway touring or two up touring...
Same here. Overall, the Multi is more fun. If I could have a stable, I'd include a BMW tourer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure if this is of any help but I just got back from riding my touring multi all the way to San Fran from Chicago & then up to northern California and down to Los Angeles. I rode the crap out of that thing & loved every minute of it. I felt it was comfortable as bikes can get & I hit a lot of different environments with it. The bike handled everything flawlessly. I toured two up for the most part in California after I picked up my wife in San Francisco.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Not sure if this is of any help but I just got back from riding my touring multi all the way to San Fran from Chicago & then up to northern California and down to Los Angeles. I rode the crap out of that thing & loved every minute of it. I felt it was comfortable as bikes can get & I hit a lot of different environments with it. The bike handled everything flawlessly. I toured two up for the most part in California after I picked up my wife in San Francisco.
Humbled. A ride to the West Coast is on my to do list. I rode to the MOA Rally in Pennsylvania last year in heat from Hell. All of my complaints from the trip had nothing to do with the Multi.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Humbled. A ride to the West Coast is on my to do list. I rode to the MOA Rally in Pennsylvania last year in heat from Hell. All of my complaints from the trip had nothing to do with the Multi.
Thanks. Ya, I got complaints too but like you, had nothing to do with the bike.
California really is a riders heaven. There are so many fascinating roads & environments to ride in. Also got to experience lane splitting legally for the first time. And for a long time at one point. Man the concentration when doing that for 20 miles can really wear on you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm on day 15 of a trip. I'm doing a minimum of 300 miles a day. Even after 2 weeks, 300, 400, & even 500 mile days are no problem. What other bike can you canyon bomb like a sports bike, load up like pack mule, and travel huge days on comfortably. There is NO other bike like this!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm on day 15 of a trip. I'm doing a minimum of 300 miles a day. Even after 2 weeks, 300, 400, & even 500 mile days are no problem. What other bike can you canyon bomb like a sports bike, load up like pack mule, and travel huge days on comfortably. There is NO other bike like this!
YESSS!!!!! My exact experience. Similar amount of miles per day too. Couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well you have your answer. You are on the right bike all along-Clearly a good decision from the get go. Now cease and desist the eyeing off of lesser bikes and enjoy your MTS (tongue in cheek wind up). Life is too short.

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
I think that there are better one purpose bikes out there , A H-D may be better for highway drone , But it may not be a better all around bike.

where one lacks the other has better traits...

Maybe you should get a different colour than the "Boring Black"
that may be all you need to put some added excitement back into your life:D:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
FWIW, I have travelled across OZ for the Moto GP over the past ten years. Each time we cover about 1000km a day for 4 days going over and 3 coming back depending on which way we go. The bikes I have done it on are ST4s, BMW K1200GT, Harley Ultra and the Multi 1200 touring.

As I said, same roads, same distances covered so I believe a pretty good comparison.

If I had to pick my favourite, without question, the Multi, not as much protection as the two other dedicated tourers, about equal to the BMW on comfort. For performance and enjoyment when the roads turn a bit twisty and overtaking, Multi everytime..I just wanted to keep riding the sexy bitch!!!

just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
^^^
dukelou :
What colour?
Betcha it is not black...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm trying to use it as a touring bike...

Well, I'm trying to use it as a touring bike: US WEST this summer, and US EAST trip a while back, and (upcoming) US EAST 2012 trip in a coupla months.

The main thing I've wished for is a friggin' cruise control (yes, I have a throttle lock). Drives me bananas that ALL the hardware for an electronic CC is already in place, but the thoughtless designers didn't include the ECM code.

Anyway, yes, the MTS1200S works pretty well for long-distance touring, IMHO.

--Doc

·
El lobo solitario
103 Posts
The above quote just about says it all in my book.

I have extensive travel experience with the R1150RT, K1200GT, and the K1300GT. They were good travel bikes but they were extremely boring to me. The Multi gives up very little to the Beemers which only amounts to small creature comforts such as heated seats, cruise control, etc. I have gladly given up those minute comforts for more soul and excitement!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts