Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a lot of confusion here's the low down on what we can and can't do when it comes to the xx9 plastics that differ by model years:

1) 03-04 plastics (left, right or nose) cannot be interchanged with 05-06 plastics. The mounting tabs where the sides meet the nose are different.

2) 05-06 plastics CAN be fitted on to 03-04 bikes (and vice versa) but you must use the ENTIRE SET (left, right, nose)

3) 03-04 windscreen can only fit 03-04 nose. 05-06 windscreen fits 05-06 nose only. (The 05-06 windscreen is slightly wider and has 8-hole pattern; while the 03-04 has 9-hole pattern).

4) You need a special torx tool to remove the windscreen, that is not commonly available. You can purchase one from Ducati dealer for ~$1,000,000 or buy it from eBay for about $6. Your choice :D (there are usually 2 reputable sellers on eBay who sell this frequently).

5) If you are going to fit a COMPLETE set of 03-04 plastics (left, right, nose) on to an 05-06 bike (or vice-versa), the only special thing you will need is the applicable windscreen and that bloody torx tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
migz123 said:
4) You need a special torx tool to remove the windscreen, that is not commonly available. You can purchase one from Ducati dealer for ~$1,000,000 or buy it from eBay for about $6. Your choice :D (there are usually 2 reputable sellers on eBay who sell this frequently).

5) If you are going to fit a COMPLETE set of 03-04 plastics (left, right, nose) on to an 05-06 bike (or vice-versa), the only special thing you will need is the applicable windscreen and that bloody torx tool.

4. Torx tool is available at sears or any good tool place. Can't remember what size.

5. I believe the mirror supports need to be replaced as they are wider on 05-06 models.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
jimmm18 said:
4. Torx tool is available at sears or any good tool place. Can't remember what size.

5. I believe the mirror supports need to be replaced as they are wider on 05-06 models.
4) The torx tool has a unique size that can't easily be found ... it's an "in-between" size that is not commonly carried by most tool shops, including Sears (at least, since the last time I was in the market for it, which was a few months ago). I ended up buying it on ebay:

auction 1
auction 2 (this is the one I bought mine from - $8 delivered)

5) The mirror brackets need not be replaced, and can be interchanged between the two body styles.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I was purchasing mirror supports for my bike (an 05) and they are different for the 03-04s.

The 05-06s are higher and wider by about 10mm. You could probably get away with not exchanging them but the body would be under stress, and you can't space them out with some spacer as the mirrors have those push in holders.

I'm going through the same thing.

I have a salvaged 05 Dark, and I got a set of side panels from an 03-04, but they are slightly damaged, so I'm taking my 05 panel with heavy damage and I'm going to make a hybrid panel to make the 03 fit my 05. As far as the side panels go, the difference is how tall the fairing is at the upper attachment point, and how the side sail panels attach.

Now what about lower panels?

Can those be interchanged (as in, using mismatched mids and lowers)?

I can see on lower left there is a air duct that isn't on the later panels, can they still be used?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
On the mounting brackets:

The mounting brackets on the 03/04 are a different part number than 05/06, however, the 05/06 part supercedes the 03/04, so that you can use 05/06 brackets on to an 03/04 bike.

The difference between the two is ever so slight that the 10mm disparity can be spread-out through: flex in the plastic, the snap connectors on the mirrors, and extra room in the holes of the plastics to still provide a solid connection between the mirrors and the brackets.

Although they say that there is a 10mm difference between the two which is spread out in height and width, I had both parts in my hand and spent the better part of half hour just comparing and measuring fitting dimensions between the two. I could not find any meaningful difference.

The best way to find out of course was to take it and apply it to the bikes, as well as the different fairings... this is why I know it will fit. The holes on all points lined up "near perfectly" and enough to provide solid mounts throughout.

On interchangability between upper side vs. lower side: I am not quite sure if this is possibile or not, since I worked on the side fairings as a whole (upper and lower) piece. This is really just the last thing about the interchangability I need to find out about. I cannot do it with the parts I have at hand since the side fairings I had for both '04 and '05 are both whole/undivided pieces.

·
Registered
11 Posts
migz123 said:
4) The torx tool has a unique size that can't easily be found ... it's an "in-between" size that is not commonly carried by most tool shops, including Sears (at least, since the last time I was in the market for it, which was a few months ago). I ended up buying it on ebay:

Interesting. I got mine a few months ago at Sears. Just checked it and it fits perfectly. It is a T7 and it Looks like this (click on it for bigger view):

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jimmm18 said:
Interesting. I got mine a few months ago at Sears. Just checked it and it fits perfectly. Looks like this (click on it for bigger view:
Lucky you man ... I wasn't as lucky with the Sears here :confused:

How much were they selling that for?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead...

I just want to confirm. A full set of 03/04 plastics *CAN* be fitted on a 05/06 bike provided you get the 03/04 windscreen? All mounting points are the same?

I've seen some pretty tight race replica kits (Xerox, Fila, Breil) on Ebay and they're for the 03/04 superbikes only.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I would like to know as well since I've been looking into carbon fiber bodies.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I've seen some pretty tight race replica kits (Xerox, Fila, Breil) on Ebay and they're for the 03/04 superbikes only.
Ha! Finally! We '03/'04 folks have something about our bikes that is better than you '05/'06 people! About friggin' time!!! :D

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead...

I just want to confirm. A full set of 03/04 plastics *CAN* be fitted on a 05/06 bike provided you get the 03/04 windscreen? All mounting points are the same?

the supports that come from the headlight bucket are narrower on the early bike

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I put this 03-04 body on my 05 999R:

It fits a little tighter because of the narrow front fairing support. You might have to trim the OEM 03-04 body for the swingarm too.

-M

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll take no shame in posting this either after the bump, but I'd like to get new fairings for my 04 as the quality on them is very cheap. It seems like the 05-06 bikes have a lot more options out there, so would it be possible to completely change out all fairings/nose/windshield and be able to fit a set from the later years? Just worried about holes not lining up for mounting.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
05-06 mids and lowers fit 03-04 top with a little tapered sliver removed (1-3mm) where they meet. If you have a later swinger with older lowers then you have to trim a little where the swinger and exhaust are.
I’m not a fan of the taller 05-06 top but I like the lowers on the later bikes. This is how I run mine. The other thing I’ve done is make a seperate tank mount, this allows me to remove the seat and leave the tank in place. Don’t ask me why, think I was just bored one day.

·
Registered
2006 749
7 Posts
05-06 mids and lowers fit 03-04 top with a little tapered sliver removed (1-3mm) where they meet. If you have a later swinger with older lowers then you have to trim a little where the swinger and exhaust are.
I’m not a fan of the taller 05-06 top but I like the lowers on the later bikes. This is how I run mine. The other thing I’ve done is make a seperate tank mount, this allows me to remove the seat and leave the tank in place. Don’t ask me why, think I was just bored one day.
Got a pic of the separate tank mount? I have a broken top right fairing strut on my 2005 749. thinking about going with a race style fairing stay and getting rid of the heavy metal box that houses the headlights. I need to figure out best way to do this. using bar end mirrors is fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts