Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
OK Needle jets ordered --update will be given as soon as they arrive and I install them

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
OK new needle jets ordered from FactoryPro these are nickle plated so should last a bit longer, I removed he old one's this morning and they look good, I can see no distortion in the holes, but I am going to replace them just to rule this out as a potential issue. Keep your fingers crossed--I am

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I talked to Mark @ Factory Pro on Monday 8, July 2019 and ordered them -he said they would be shipped out on Tuesday the 9th. so my guess to the question is yes lol. I examined the original needle jets closely --the only thing I can see is a bit of pitting inside the bore-there may be a little scoring up and down from the slide needle-but it's really hard to see so I'm not really sure. I dont know if the little pitting that is barely visible or the scoring that may or not be there is enough to cause this issue--but the new needle jets will at least rule this out. --The other thing is that the factory pro slide needles have a taper that is a hell of alot more drastic then the stock needles. I know that Dyna jet kits dont even come with new slide needles-they reuse the stock fatter needles. I am now wondering if the factory pro needles with the dramatic taper could be part of the issue. My thought is -Do only 1 thing at a time, -install new needle jets--ride--if everything is perfect happy happy joy joy-if not--change my pilot jet from the 40 to the 37.5-(so far it's run the best with the 37.5) -if that solves it great--if not--Install the OEM slide needles-test ride and go from there. I never like to change more then 1 thing in the carbs at a time, else you never know what fixed the issue.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
.... I never like to change more then 1 thing in the carbs at a time, else you never know what fixed the issue.
... and Moses did come down from the mountain and he did sayeth "change only one thing at a time and boogy on down the road".

0:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Dynojet kits DO come with needles.

stage one and stage 3 (IIRC) both have similar profiles to the factory needle but all 3 have different dimensions at the base of the needle where the needle is fully in the needle jet. So at low throttle settings with the slides not yet open you will be metering different amounts of fuel between the different needles. I would have to check my notes but IIRC the monster used the same dynojet needle for both stage 1 and 3 but the SS had different versions for the two.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
OK Thank you ducvet, I was getting my info from one of the tech weenies from DynaJet-I spoke to him on Tuesday, now maybe he or I got confused but when I referred to these I specified slide needles, but of course we were talking about needle jets as well-personally I refer to these as emulsion tubes not needle jets to eliminate any confusion, so he may have gotten mixed up when telling me this info-and we were talking about a stage 1 jet kit. I am just trying to sort this issue out to my satisfaction. I can get it where I can still hear the burbling but I cant feel it, but I can see no reason that this should not be able to be dialed out it's just finding the right combination. Seb said that they all seem to do this, but did they when new from the factory? or is it a case of they all do after a jet kit is installed? Things that make you say hummmm. But BMW's, Moto Guzzi's, Aprillia's, dont seem to do this and they are all twin's --so there is no reason that I should have to just live with this on my 900ss

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I used both the Factory Pro needles and emulsion tubes because the tubes were egg shaped and the wear was from the needles vibrating so if one was worn I have to assume the other was too. Besides, I also assume the pair was made to be used together. Obviously I assume a lot.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
When I spoke to Mark @ Factory Pro the other day he told me that the plated emulsion tubes were a direct OEM replacement tube so my guess is they are exactly the same as stock tubes. But I am hoping that they will help the situation since I did see pitting inside the original emulsion tubes though the do not appear to be egg shaped-if they are it is so minor I cant see it

·
Registered
127 Posts
hey rennsport-

just a silly question...in addition to your SS burbling issue...in coming to a complete, quick stop (throttle closed) do you experience any down/up RPM differentials?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
No once I get it dialed in with which ever pilot jet I am trying at that time-and whatever fuel screw setting I have-(depending on the pilot jet size)--I Have a nice steady idle. from say 7K rpm chop the throttle and it comes back down to a nice idle within 2 sec-thats how close I can get it. --but again I am a BMW master Certified Tech--if I had a BMW doing this it would be freeking nuts. maybe I am being too anal retentive -Sebastian from MelilliMoto is a good friend of mine, he says it's fairly normal--I cant accept that--again I can hear the burbling but I cant feel it--I have to figure this out and dial it in where I am satisfied where everything is nice and smooth from idle on up .

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
If and when I get this dialed in where I am happy--I am going to post every single thing that I have done to the carbs-including all jet sizes emulsion tube's, Slide Needles, Fuel screw settings, stock or modified airbox cover etc. -Now of course all my info will be for dead sea level in Florida and my air temp here will be around 93 deg. F, So if your in Denver Co. my info will of no help to you lol-but since 75% of the population lives within 100 miles of the coast then it may help the majority of the people. This is now a personal issue to me --The motorcycle will not win--I will----Damn It

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
OK I finally have this 91 900ss dialed in, I will just give you the info on the carbs because thats where the issue was--I run nothing but 100 octane LL non-ethanol fuel-I am in Fl. so dead sea level. The burbling is gone idle is good @ 1000 rpm. & pulls like crazy. I do get a little popping thru the exhaust but only during decel, which I would expect with the Carbon Tech pipes & K&N air filter. so here are my numbers.--Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit, using-135 main jet, 40 pilot jet, Factory Pro plated emulsion tubes, slide needle 2nd groove from top, float lvl set to 15mm, fuel screws 4 turns out. using K&N air filter and stock air box lid non-modified. So now I have but one thing left to do---Ride the piss out of her. Thanks to all here that have helped.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
OK went for a little ride this morning, The burbling is gone and is smooth BUT at low speed 35 mph throttle barely cracked open I am getting a little rattling ( sounds lean on the pilot) So I have now ordered a new set of pilots now have a 40-fuel screw out 5 turns-- and I am going to a 42.5 hopefully this may solve the lean issue--I'll let you know once I get them in. -Thought I had it dialed in but not quite there -But real close

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
OK I went for a nice 150 mile this past Monday, She seems dialed in about as perfect as you would want-low speed no stumble or burbling any more, throttle rolls on nice and smooth rode most of the way at around 75-80 mph but did open her up 6 times just to test -pulled hard all the way up I backed off at 125 mph but she was still pulling hard, so the carb numbers are --pilot jet 42.5, main jets 135, Factory pro slide needles 2nd groove from top, Factory Pro nickel plated Emulsion tubes, float levels set @ 15mm.& Fuel screws out 2 turns- This is the perfect setup for my bike-But the bike is a European model Not a North American bike and The carbs I know are basically the same but the Euro carbs do have slightly different numbers, & the 42.5 was the stock pilot in these carbs. My fuel mileage for this trip was between 35 & 38 mpg which is right where I would expect it to be. So for the running of this bike I am done for now, So now one more little thing I am doing -I purchased a solo tail piece with a Corbin seat on it -the price was right so why not lol

41 - 56 of 56 Posts