Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, it's not in Florida, but in my GT's airbox!

Sommessa Donna has been so completely reliable that she hadn't seen the inside of a shop since I had the fuel hose connection fixed just after I got her. She's been running great but still, it was 'tune up time."

But when BCM emailed me the invoice to be paid prior to her delivery/return later today one item was unexpected:

"Mouse nest in airbox. Needed to replace air filter."

Gee, I sure hope the mousies enjoyed the ride as much as I do!

Anyone have a suggestion for preventing this from occurring again? The bike is stored in a shed.

-don

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This isn't the first time I've heard of this.

Good excuse to ditch the airbox and go with K&N pods.

Getting a cat would also be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
No, it's not in Florida, but in my GT's airbox!

Sommessa Donna has been so completely reliable that she hadn't seen the inside of a shop since I had the fuel hose connection fixed just after I got her. She's been running great but still, it was 'tune up time."

But when BCM emailed me the invoice to be paid prior to her delivery/return later today one item was unexpected:

"Mouse nest in airbox. Needed to replace air filter."

Gee, I sure hope the mousies enjoyed the ride as much as I do!

Anyone have a suggestion for preventing this from occurring again? The bike is stored in a shed.

-don
I have heard that moth balls are a deterrent to mice. How you remove them from the moth and how many it takes I can't answer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
fill with moth balls (i know moth balls are small )and maybe the vapours will give u a few more horse power as well

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
That cat has some excellent teeth. I've had to deal with dental issues for mine for a while.
Yeah, they easily sink through leather gloves right to the bone when you get a great idea like putting a walking harness on the thing.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I have a mouse/bike story, last year around this time, cold, went to start my Harley and it backfired hard while starting. When backing it up I almost stepped on something and I look down and there is a freshly dead mouse, must have climbed into exhaust to warm up night before and got shot out into garage door and bounced back up to the footrest!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Yeah, they easily sink through leather gloves right to the bone when you get a great idea like putting a walking harness on the thing.
Getting too off-topic... I used to work with a bobcat, and we had to don the serious falconry gloves to handle him.

I always wondered if my Held gloves with kevlar would have been as good at protecting me from him.

But, yeah, he'd have no problem taking out the entire mouse population of an acre, as well as chickens, coyote, small children and annoying yippy neighbor dogs. :)

Attachments

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
That is a cat! I bet it could guard a whole bunch of SCs :)
Some places in the US, you can legally have them as pets. Although they are very strong and can be quite aggressive. I saw my guy jump 14 feet from a crouch like it was nothing. At 28 lbs. he was kind of small. These guys can get > 60 lbs.

Here's a vid from YouTube of a 10 month old 16 lb bobcat. Pretty aggressive, but this is just playing for them.

OK, I'll stop now. :)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I was carrying replacement bulbs for the stock blinkers under my seat, back when I had the original lights on... and there was something in the bulb packaging that attracted ants... not kidding. One day I got to my bike and there were a million ants on it. they were concentrating on the bulbs under the seat... I had to hose the thing down for hours trying to get them of... they got on it from the tires and the kickstand... it was wild.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Big kitties for the win :D

On a serious note, it's probably an isolated family you've got there... try laying a few traps around. They need to come out to feed once in a while ;)

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The bike was delivered late yesterday afternoon. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but on startup it sounded fantastic. What's the difference? The air intake on the GT now sounds like the open airbox with a K&N in my `93 900SS.

I contacted BCM and inquired whether they changed anything in the airbox. "No" they replied. "It must simply be that the mouse nest was muffling the sound."

Well if so - and frankly I find this explanation a bit hard to accept - than that mouse nest had been there since delivery in 2006. "Was it an Italian mouse" I inquired?

No response yet from BCM. :p

The reason I find the mouse nest 'muffling' explanation difficult to accept is that I've heard other GT1000s and they sounded no different than mine.

Anyone have any thoughts? I can't simply lift the tank and look into the airbox as on my SS. I love the sound but am a bit concerned.

-don

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Airbox lid not on fully.

Not sure how Duc airbox lid is. But the Beemers would sound open-n-loud if the lid was not seated perfect. Might be slightly "off" letting air in, noise out.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
The bike was delivered late yesterday afternoon. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but on startup it sounded fantastic. What's the difference? The air intake on the GT now sounds like the open airbox with a K&N in my `93 900SS.
Don, I know that there have been quite a few here that have upgraded to a K&N or BMC filter and I've heard a few comment on how much better it sounds. I picked up a BMC filter but have yet to install it as there is still some life in my stocker and I can't stand to ditch something that isn't broke. You might want to check to see if it is an upgraded air filter, I think that would make the difference.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts