Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been recently thinking about something and I thought I'd share. What will be the outcome of your bike(s)? Do you own to eventually trade up? Have you restored and have part of your soul invested? Is your bike relatively newer and therefore less "collectible" to you?

I own an 06 749s which many of you know. I have had various bikes in the past that I have traded here and there for other bikes. None of them however, have been quite as pricey, well engineered or as beautiful as my bike. Its not the fastest, it doesnt have the most hp, it doesnt have room for two and it is not the most expensive. Its newer and ridden, it is not a living room bike. For some reason though, I dont know that I will ever want to trade it up for anything.

Does anyone feel the same way or is the bike just a bike for you? There is no right or wrong, good or bad answer but I just dont see myself getting rid of this. Will all the time, money and elbow grease ive put in, I feel like this bike epitomizes ME. With proper maintenance and the care that ive invested from day one, this bike may in fact grow up with me.... I dont think I am indifferent enough to pass this off as "Some bike" for a trade in or any other reason. Am I alone?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Nice bike. You seem to have sorted out yourself, not something people do well. Me, I figured out I like the 999 style. I sold my first 999, missed and replaced it with a 999s. Had I been really smart I would have waited to find the R xerox i really wanted. Since I track it a few times a year I am playing with the thought of getting xerox style track body work. Not sure that will be the solution or not. I may end up selling the S to get the R and that "this is it" feeling you have. Good for you.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
In an ideal world I'd only accumulate more bikes and not sell any of them.
I've only just entered this ideal world, but it is definitely the way to go! I've sold some of my bikes in the past and always regretted it later on. I told my wife a while ago, even before getting the 748, that I would always continue to buy motorcycles, but never sell another one.

So to answer the original question: What is the fate of my beloved Ducati?

To remain with me all my days. Damned straight, skippy!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm on the fence about my bike. Some days I want to sale it and move on to bigger better things, new flings. Other times I say to myself that I'll keep it. As of right now the only other bike I really would ride is the 1198S. But two problems exist in that... 1) too much money for the bike... 2) it's allot of bike for the street. But none the less my 749 Dark has really come into herself of late and impress' me every time I take her out. It's my first but then again nothing is like a newer design with performance and engineering upgrades. Makes it easy let go and move on.

You keep your 749 Tenman. Treat it well, and she'll be a real lady for you.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
My first Duc ('97 SS/SP) was lost to a careless Civic driver. My second ('96 SS/SP) was lost to a divorce. My third ('02 998 ) was sold to buy my 4th Ducati, a '02 998S Bayliss. If not for the unanticipated availability of the Bayliss I'd still own the '02 998. FWIW, before Ducati's I owned one bike, a '82 BMW R100RS for 16 yrs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wow that exhaust and body sure threw me for a bit. :think:

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Does anyone feel the same way or is the bike just a bike for you? There is no right or wrong, good or bad answer but I just dont see myself getting rid of this. Will all the time, money and elbow grease ive put in, I feel like this bike epitomizes ME. With proper maintenance and the care that ive invested from day one, this bike may in fact grow up with me.... I dont think I am indifferent enough to pass this off as "Some bike" for a trade in or any other reason. Am I alone?
You are not alone buddy. The machines you/we have epitomizes some of what is perfection in our existence. Not a religion, but a form of worship and joy. The elbow grease is not sacrifice and suffering, on the contrary...a form of enjoyment similiar in quality to the actual ride.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sometimes a bike is just a bike. Sometimes a bike becomes such a part of you that everyone that knows you well asks how your bike is when they ask about your family. Nice bike it's not me, but I would bet it is you.

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
My wife and I often joke around about building a bike garage to house all of our old and worn out motorcycles. We figure it'll be our little personal motorcycle museum with stories and memories that we can tell about each one.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I know exactly what you are getting at. I ride a Ducati 900SS. And as much as I keep trying to get away from it, and get something more comfortable, i.e. multi, ST, I just cant.

I just keep adding things like Heli bars, a Sargent seat, and I just added lowered pegs. I just cannot get away from my bike.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know exactly what you are getting at. I ride a Ducati 900SS. And as much as I keep trying to get away from it, and get something more comfortable, i.e. multi, ST, I just cant.

I just keep adding things like Heli bars, a Sargent seat, and I just added lowered pegs. I just cannot get away from my bike.
Exactly, this is the kind of stuff Im talking about. With all the things I buy here and there I know that I will NEVER get the money I put into it back... but perhaps thats an ok thing. I mean if I dont plan to sell it, then it isnt a waste... This cycle never stops. Others dont understand that adding things which will not increase the value and only end up subtracting my funds can bring me so much satisfaction....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Being on bike #37, and I'm sure there will be more, I do not get attached to them any more. I used to a little bit. But they are just toys, I know to some people they are some sort of status symbol, but it's just something I like to ride. I also tend to get bored with them after a year or two, and if I can sell whatever it is I'm riding at the time for something close to what I paid for it, it's all good.

Sure, I like my S4. It's a fun little bike. It's deceptively fast, I've owned faster bikes, but this thing is a hooligans dream as far as getting it sideways coming out of corners, doing wheelies and whatnot. But I'm also realistic about how hard I ride them, and everything tends to wear out over time. So I usually ride them until they start getting loose, you guys that ride a lot know what I mean, sell it, then try something different. After all, they are only motorcycles.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Bought all my street bikes brand new and never owned one that I'd label a "keeper." Although I'm enjoying the 848 there's no guarantee that something else won't take its place in the future.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I was 59 in 06 and had ridden various bikes all my adult life. I get attached to the bikes because I spend so much time tinkering, but I would move on after a couple of years.

I'm aware that there are not many years left for me to ride so I wanted one more bike before quitting riding. I wanted the best, and in short order I was standing in the Ducati showroom. I was really tempted by the Mike Hailwood and Paul Smart replicas, but since I like to travel on the bike, the ST was my answer.

It will be my last bike and I"m totally happy with it.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Me and my GT1000 had some good times together. I was really learning how to ride the thing with crappy forks and all. I totaled it one week ago. I came around a curve and a car was stopped in the highway. I had no place to go but the asphalt. Yea I'm really gonna miss that bike.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts