Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never bought an extended warranty for any vehicle I have purchased prior to buying my MTS12.

Since most of these bikes are still (if some just barely) under the original warranty, the value of these extensions remains to be seen, but I thought it might be a good idea to put up a master thread on the topic. Future buyers of new bikes (and used bikes that have transferable policies) might then be able to judge the value of this "accessory" in relation to buying something else, or nothing at all, at time of purchase.

I'll start by saying that as Ride Red was no longer on offer, I gave a moment of consideration at the closing desk and decided to pop for the five year option being offered by my dealer and bought the "RPM One" policy at time of initial purchase. My subsequent research (I often buy, then do the research later:D) won't offer any conclusions for at least two years (and hopefully "never") but I think there may be some value in discussing this option for future buyers of MS12s in particular and Ducatis or "motorcycles in general" as time passes.

I hope this first thread develops value to the community.

·
Premium Member
12,254 Posts
It is an insurance policy open to interpetation...
Some (most?) are written so there are hoops to jump thru...
Horror stories about to come???

Up here The Rise Red (From Ducati ) was not well recieved by Our Local dealer ( Few and FAR between)
They have recommended another insurance policy from a co. That they have had GOOD LUCK with previously...
BUT say right up front that THE SHOP will not guarantee Anything for sure, They will go to bat for the customer but that is all the can promise...

So it seems that it MAY be a roll of the dice...

Seems like I have to gamble on this one...

Hey it is only a grand or there abouts , what could possibly go wrong???

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'm actually looking to buy extended warranty in the next couple of months. Will check with my original dealer since they have been a delight to deal with to see what my options are but this thread will definitely come in useful.

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey it is only a grand or there abouts , what could possibly go wrong???
That's why we are here! Sometimes it seems everything on the internet is anecdotal, but these will be our very own anecdotes about an accessory that hasn't had it's own thread.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Western Service, I bought 4 years for 850.00. They are replacing the dashboard on my 2010 mts1200s as we speak.

·
Registered
496 Posts
+1 on Western Service

I think mine is a 5 year on top of 2 from Ducati. I dont normally go there but with all the gadgets on this bike I did. I knew when I bought the bike that I would be keeping it for more than 2 years so for about 900 bucks I got it. Piece of mind and as I read some of the "porous head" stories I am glad I did. So far I had a claim to get a rear tire replaced. I had a blow out and even tho my stock Pirelli's were about 80% gone they replaced the tire and paid for the mounting and balancing as well. Although that was under the tire and wheel package I bought. I am now buying those with all my cars and bikes. Wheels cost a lot to replace and with the condition of most roads I think its worth it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is a great thread for and against extended warranty coverage.
I work on my own bikes at my dealership so you would think I dont have extended coverage.... wrong my dash on my mts1100s just got replaced the other day due to no back light ilummination, couldnt see the dash at night and I need that for my long distance riding. so I believe my cost was about $500(insurance). and the dash was $905 (parts) and was reimbursed for 1 hour labor(haha) I have even owned extended coverage on my japanese bikes in the past and the only one that didnt pay off was my '04 Yamaha FZ1 and even then they paid for a turn signal relay and a broken brake line...back in 1986 my GPZ1100 broke a crankshaft and would have cost me $3000 and the extended warranty company didnt want to pay labor as I worked on bikes, I turned around and started a complaint against them and they paid in full...
Now for the against extended warranty coverage it is a crap shoot, isnt that why they call "insurance" some will pay and never use it, but it is a peice of mind deal, others will never pay for it and then break down and complain about expense's.... cant win for losing... Just remember that this insurance cost is negotiated between you and the dealer if you so desire..

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Anyone have a website for the Western Insurance? (generic term to google, then guess if it's the one you guys are referring to).
Thanks

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Thanks Pampero.

Have any of you transferred over the Ever Red warranty to a new owner? There supposedly is a small fee involved but I can't find any information on it online. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought my MTS1200S used with 1 year of factory warranty left. I promptly purchased an extended warranty from Western Service Contract that gives me 4 additional years from the expiration of the factory warranty. Hopefully I'll never need it but if I do it's there. Note: I hardly ever buy extended service contracts but I did on this one. $3K Ohlins shocks, porous heads don't sound like much fun down the road.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I bought a Western 5 yr contract when I bought my 2012, so it's 2 yrs factory + 5 yrs extended. I chose them because the dealer service department recommended them, and because I've had a Western contract on two previous bikes, both of which I inherited as the second owner and transferred to my name. My previous BMW dealer also spoke highly of them.

I am not an extended warranty kind of guy at all, but on this bike, it was a relatively small price to pay for piece of mind and I can't help but think that it will pay for itself if I sell the bike in the next few years.

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Gleaned from BMWMOA's site (BMW club):

You can sign up for free and then log on to see how your insurance is rated here: AM BEST.

The site doesn't really rate the responsiveness of any of the entities I checked for (and RPM One, my policy isn't even rated....Western is) but at least you can see if your company looks financially sound, always a good starting point!

You're welcome!:D

Added: One more thought for adding value to this thread (I suppose it's obvious) is that a really useful component of our discussions should include your personal experiences in respect to payouts and the ease or lack of same in getting fair resolutions.

I think (and Ducati Bellevue said as much) that once again, we are going to be looking to the support of our dealers to find value in this "accessory purchase."

I wish I'd thought about negotiating the price of the insurance as much as the bike. Damn! OTOH, if I need it to replace something big, I doubt I'll have many regrets that I paid an extra bean or two.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just had my rear shock replaced bu Ducati due to the DES error that many of these rear shocks experienced. New shock is somewhere between $3-4k so I was happy I was covered. I do plan on getting the extended warranty today. Dealer told me that prices are going up next year. I love the bike and plan on keeping it but given the history of issues I'd rather take a small hit now and get the warranty.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
5 Yr. Western Plan

I also bought the 5 Yr. Western warranty with my new 2012 touring.
I hope to keep the bike at least 4+ yrs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
so I guess Ducati dosn't do extended warranties cause they never sais anything when I got my 12 MTS

How much is a western extended warranty

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Can not get coverage with Western service in Italy :(:(:(

Please don't break, Please don't break, Please don't break, Please don't break. :crazy:

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so I guess Ducati dosn't do extended warranties cause they never sais anything when I got my 12 MTS

How much is a western extended warranty
I paid $995 for my 5 year extension (if I recall) but have since heard of others who have paid a bit less. Discussion reveals that the price may be negotiable. It could be easier to negotiate at the time you buy the bike, but I don't think there is any harm in asking the reseller regardless. I bought mine with the bike and after two days of negotiating that, it didn't occur to me to ask for a deal on the warranty too.

You should learn from my experience, be patient and ask for a deal.;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
dont feel bad

I think I paid 1500 for 5 years but that included wheels and tires. I have already had a claim on the rear tire which had a blow out at 3500 miles and they covered replacement and mounting costs so.........I paid for piece of mind.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just picked up

A western service 48 month for 500 bucks. The top tier one with no Deductible. Not too bad

1 - 20 of 269 Posts