Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not great. The ones in Germany are slightly too high mileage for my liking and the ones in Italy have Italian sellers... Trying to communicate with them is like trying to communicate with an illiterate toaster.
Heard it's a bitch importing from Italy. Paperwork being even worse than trying to communicate with the sellers. Hopefully it works out soon!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Like everything you turn your hand too, awesome machine, mate. Ducati must hate people like you: they spend a gazillion dollars on engineering, development, promotion etc with their SL's....and then you build something in your shed that makes all their work look a little, well, average, lol.

Speaking of which, is it possible to compare this to your old SL? Or just apples to oranges?
Thanks mate.
The Ti bike is pretty raw especially the initial bite of the CC front disc brake when travelling slow. Not long after I got her running I pulled into the drive way & next thing I know I'm on my back like a beached whale. When you have a little bit of speed up they are pretty awesome though.
She has an electronic throttle from the 2011 1198RS & traction control so can match the electronic specs of the SL. I was physically to big for the SL & I fit better on the Ti & a lot of the running gear on the Ti are superior to the SL.
As for handling, I am not a good enough pedaler to compare the two, I would need to leave that for someone else with more riding skills than me, but I still have the Ti & not the SL so that explains a bit I suppose.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
353 Posts
Oh well, my ol' tractors are common or garden variety compared to the exotica above (which reminds me, must buy more tissues....) but it seems only fair:

172kg (378.4lb) ready to go with an empty tank. That's with a carbon tank, carbon tail fairing, Mg wheels, Nichols alloy "flywheel", Ti rods yada yada. I've done a bit more weight saving since then, losing the battery tray and putting the battery up the front:

Replaced the ugly/heavy plastic undertray(1.3kg) with a simple carbon unit (475gm) and generally tidied up and lightened rear bits and pieces to save a total of 1.2kg's:

Simplified/lightened the cooling pipework, so no more thermostat hanging out of the side of the bike or heavy "spider" cooling manifold thingy (spot the odd hose out, lol):

Replaced the OEM 851 alternator rotor with a 400SS unit:

All in all should be somewhere under the 170kg mark, which was kinda the aim.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
353 Posts
...and the wee 749R = 169kg (371lb) ready to go with an empty tank.

Edit: the 749R workshop manual actually gives some useful weight spec's:
"194.7kg's in running order minus fuel"

Has carbon tank/airbox/main fairings/handlebars, Mg wheels (rear is only cast not forged), 4 spring clutch with alloy basket etc, alloy fairing brace.

749RS carbon tank bracket and RS carbon seat pan instead of heavy arsed OEM steel based seat (I've since turned up an alloy bolt to replace the manky lookin' OEM tank fastener/washer):

Not as sexy as MrFurry's lovely billet RS replica stuff but does the job (now black rather than raw);

The RS tail piece is only fibreglass, I have a carbon RS unit but I'm too chicken to cut the end off it (749RS vs 999RS) and I like the Leo carbon exhaust shroud. I don't run the underseat heatshield.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts