Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Here you go. Back in bit of street trim and plastics are off for a clear coat. I'll posted a another photo when I get the fairing back.

View attachment 996356
Wait wait wait wait wait. WAIT.

Is that a cut down biposto subframe? Is that a 1.6 in the battery box? You're running Corse rear sets with some kind of custom second heel guard set up, which means you're running a 45/50? Is that what I am seeing? What am I looking at here?

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I told you to feel sorry for The Time Machine. It's not as bad as it looks and is a pretty quick bike. It was several pounds lighter before i put some stuff back on so it could get out on the street. It will always be a bastard bike that I love and run into the ground. And I'll eventually pick up a 748, 916, and 999 and keep them OEM while The Time Machine gets most of the attention and future evolutions.

The exhaust is OEM, and there is nothing in the cans.
The subframe is as minimal as it can be and still support the seat. I welded some nuts to the inside of the pipes so I could hang them from the exhaust tray mounting points
Between the exhaust and subframe a lot of weight was saved. I had to adjust the rear shock as a result.
The wiring harness was cut down to 1/4 the original length and the ECU placed in the batter tray
The battery was relocated to the exhaust heat shield where velcro holds it in place. (it was in the head light bucket, but the bucket is leaving soon. Otherwise i would have left the exhaust heat shield off. It's not too hot without it)
Controls removed
Coil packs removed and replaced with stick coils. There are other items, like no chain guard, GP shift and rear sets, etc. that add up to save weight.
The new rotors, which i do not like, added some weight as well as the slipper clutch that replaced the all aluminum Yoyodyne.

I have done a lot of experimentation on the machine, ruined a couple of engines, but know what you can get away with and still have a fun toy.

Next up is either a 1098 engine or stroking the 848 with a spare 996 crank and having a fun lightweight 916 engine pushing 130hp. We will see, but since the engine is the next greatest source of weight savings, I will go that route.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
That is super interesting. I see where you’re losing the weight and I see the experimentation. Very cool to get to witness it.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Thanks. Experimentation went beyond weight savings. It humorous. With the work I do I can push the hardware and test the software to the limit in the lab and so safely work on customer's equipment well outside of supported documentation. I've always wanted to do that with machines, specifically Ducati. What prevented me from doing that is my budget after making children. (I've stopped with the children part)

Without the budget, I have had to go the redneck route. The redneck route has yielded some good experiences and results, and I know the machines very well with the exception of the 4 cylinder creations and Panigales. In the next couple of years I will start making and modifying the bikes that I would have done if I had not chosen to have a family. Hopefully I can teach the boys somethings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Enjoying the 996 stories. However being mechanically inept and three hours from the nearest Ducati tech, I had to go with one of these:

398 lbs with BST's and full Akra (and very little fuel when put on the freight scale at work). Not sure what the Ventura racks add. She's a road machine that sees a handful of track days every year. I'm a lightweight at 125 so the power-to-weight ratio suits me just fine.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Enjoying the 996 stories. However being mechanically inept and three hours from the nearest Ducati tech, I had to go with one of these:

View attachment 996608

398 lbs with BST's and full Akra (and very little fuel when put on the freight scale at work). Not sure what the Ventura racks add. She's a road machine that sees a handful of track days every year. I'm a lightweight at 125 so the power-to-weight ratio suits me just fine.
This is by far my fave 848. The red frame with the silver and black is just soooo tasty imo. And that's an aluminum tank is it not? Nice to see one tastefully modded. Nice to see one at all cuz they seem to be pretty rare..
Anyway, thanks for posting to the thread
Have you posted a pic or two in the Superbike picture thread?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is by far my fave 848. The red frame with the silver and black is just soooo tasty imo. And that's an aluminum tank is it not? Nice to see one tastefully modded. Nice to see one at all cuz they seem to be pretty rare..
Yes on the alum tank. And it was love at first sight on the livery when it appeared in the mags back in 2013. Below is my first trip to a speed shop, where I didn't find one on the floor but the truck rolled in and I poked around until I hit paydirt. Five years later I owned one. Bike still makes me smile silly.

Now off to find pix for the Superbike picture thread...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Bike still makes me smile silly.
That's the power of a good Ducati, the right one for you.
17 years after initial purchase mine still makes me "smile silly" but also shake my head in total wonderment at just how beautiful she is how satisfying she is to ride

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yours is a very inspirational machine Weed. A stunning example of the light makes right philosophy! She inspires deep lust deep within me!
It was a long build that started by accident for want of a better word. The Ti frame came up on eBay (I think) & being Sunday night, beer etc I bought it to fit to a 1098R . After a year or so it turned into its' own project.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
It was a long build that started by accident for want of a better word. The Ti frame came up on eBay (I think) & being Sunday night, beer etc I bought it to fit to a 1098R . After a year or so it turned into its' own project.
I think many of us have been there ( alcoholic inspiration, ebay, etc )
Sadly none of my sessions have ended with a Ti frame for my 996..!
At this point in my build I'm trying to decide if the cost benefit equation makes sense for a mag swing arm and triples for my 996. I'm not sure what the overall weight savings is but I do know the cost, and it ain't cheap! Guess it will depend how drunk I get with how much spare coin lying around one fateful night.
A Ti frame? Damn, that would require A LOT of excess coin just burning a hole in my bank account. Or a lottery win
Some Braketech carbon ceramic discs, on the other hand.. I could be very easily persuaded to drop the necessary coin if a pair of those came available. Yeah, good luck with that!!

·
Registered
'99 996s
85 Posts
I borrowed the use of a shipping scale today... 414 lbs. 80 miles into a tank of fuel... 1.5 ish gallons of fuel left in the tank.

The only other time it was on a scale was in 2009. Different wheels, different rotors, before the carbon mid fairings and with the ventura L brackets on it. There it was said to have weighted 408.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Great pics idinmaine, really like the second one
Our bikes are going to be within a few pounds ( yet to be determined on my end ) and a few cc (1026 on my end) of each other. Perhaps even within a few horses and ft/lbs

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
353 Posts
Front 78.5 Kg & Rear 70.4. Road legal with oil, water, battery & 1 Lt of fuel.
View attachment 996646
Like everything you turn your hand too, awesome machine, mate. Ducati must hate people like you: they spend a gazillion dollars on engineering, development, promotion etc with their SL's....and then you build something in your shed that makes all their work look a little, well, average, lol.

Speaking of which, is it possible to compare this to your old SL? Or just apples to oranges?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Going to miss following that build. How's the search for a Hyper going?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts