Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So off the top, I don't know if this is a good idea, or realistic idea, for a thread, or not.
I do know it's a little premature on my end because I'm still a few months away from being able to do a final weigh in on my 996 build.
The inspiration comes from the recently posted thread comparing the weights of the Superleggeras..
And the fact that it's very common to see members providing dyno charts and power figures for their rides, but we rarely see actual weight figures. Which, in my opinion, are at least as interesting as what's going on at the rear wheel power wise
In the nineties, when I started riding, I purchased a series of ever more powerful sportbikes, each one less and less appropriate to my skill level as the power went up. I knew in theory, having been very impressed with Tadoa Baba's design philosophy with the original Blade, that light weight was at least as important as power when it came to sportbike dynamics. But it wasn't until finances forced me onto a Honda Hawk, from Blades, R1s, TLRs etc, that my eyes were truly opened to how effective light weight could be when assessing the ultimate potential of a sporting motorcycle.
I decided many years ago with my 996 that I was going to forego the technological merry go round of the latest and greatest in favour of refining the package that I have and love. Obviously that meant pursuing the classic recipe of increasing power and loosing weight. Weight wise I have no idea where I've gotten to. All body panels are carbon including the tank. Wheels are carbon. I've tried to reduce weight as much as possible where it spins, whether that be at the clutch, in the motor including the crank, at the drive train, or at the brakes. The heavy headlight housing and headlights are gone. What this all translates to I have no idea. I'm hoping for 390-400lbs.. We'll see in the spring..

Which brings me to the specifics of this thread. I think it would be interesting to have real world reference numbers for various Ducati superbikes in various states of modification. So if you have a stock ish 1098 say, with some OZ wheels and a full system, what does that weigh with more or less a full tank of gas. And so on and so forth for all the possibilities..
If you guys think this is a dumb idea, all good. But I'm still going to post my figures when I get them in the next few months.. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think this is a great idea! I share many of your same philosophies regarding bikes and power. For me it started with a grey market Honda NC-30, a 400cc v4. I fell in love with that bike and despite it's small size and power, it made me a much better rider. The reality for me is even that little 60hp motorcycle far exceeded my abilities. It was that bike that got me fascinated with keeping bikes for long periods of time and optimizing them by dropping weight, blue printing engines, etc. I had a friend at HRC that basically helped me turn my NC30 into a full fledged race replica. It was incredible to ride. The engine was so free reving and the handling was so nimble. Right now, my project is a 2012 848 Evo. So far, I've upgraded to forged wheels, aluminum gas tank, titanium bolts everywhere, etc.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized that given that the v4SL came in at close to 400lbs with a full tank of gas, my hopes for my bike are totally out of wack..
Anyway, only the scales will tell.
Let the scales tell all !!

tboooe, your 848 Evo sounds interesting, you know what your next mission is...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, trussdude! That, Sir, is impressive!
Based on the exhaust I'm assuming you have a Testastretta Evo gen motor in there? Which is a chunk lighter than a DesmoQ

·
Registered
859 Posts
I will add my info to this thread
I weighed the 996 and 959 using the bathroom scale method and by that i mean I had each bike up on the pitbull stands then carefully placed the bathroom scale under each wheel lowered the stnd so the wheel was centered on the scale and took a reading. I did this 3 times for each wheel as there was a slight variation between each reading.

This is what I got:
996 front 199.2 lb
996 rear 198.4 lb
total weight 402.4 lb

959 front 214.4 lb
959 rear 201.4 lb
total weight 415.8 lb

Both bikes have full fuel load, oil and batterys. The 959 carries nearly a gallon more that the 996
The 959 is stock except for the removal of mirrors turn signals and tailight assembly.
Both bikes are shod with Dunlop KR451 slicks

The 996 has all carbon body work, Kevlar fuel cell, BST wheels, Shorai battery, DP air box, carbon intake runners, Nichols aluminum flywheel, EVR aluminum slipper clutch, Braketech rotors and a cored stock exhaust.
Assuming 4 gallons of fuel weighs 24lb The 996 would weigh in at 378 lb and the 959 would be 391.8

The 9

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Approximately 4.45 Firkins ;)
I'm assuming that is you and not your bike ;) I'm at 3.62 Firkins of water myself. I will weigh in my 1098s, but it's not at home right now so I will have to come back to that. I'm expecting around 6,65 Firkins of water since I have slipons and lightweight rearsets :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm confused that Ian got 402.4 from 199.2 and 198.4.
He'll be pleasantly surprised his bike is lighter than he thinks.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will add my info to this thread
I weighed the 996 and 959 using the bathroom scale method and by that i mean I had each bike up on the pitbull stands then carefully placed the bathroom scale under each wheel lowered the stnd so the wheel was centered on the scale and took a reading. I did this 3 times for each wheel as there was a slight variation between each reading.

This is what I got:
996 front 199.2 lb
996 rear 198.4 lb
total weight 402.4 lb

959 front 214.4 lb
959 rear 201.4 lb
total weight 415.8 lb

Both bikes have full fuel load, oil and batterys. The 959 carries nearly a gallon more that the 996
The 959 is stock except for the removal of mirrors turn signals and tailight assembly.
Both bikes are shod with Dunlop KR451 slicks

The 996 has all carbon body work, Kevlar fuel cell, BST wheels, Shorai battery, DP air box, carbon intake runners, Nichols aluminum flywheel, EVR aluminum slipper clutch, Braketech rotors and a cored stock exhaust.
Assuming 4 gallons of fuel weighs 24lb The 996 would weigh in at 378 lb and the 959 would be 391.8

The 9
Great post ian996. Thank you for posting your figures, pertinent mods, and pics. That's kind of the ideal I have in mind for reference purposes.
Based on your figures for your 996 and trussdudes, perhaps my goal or hope for coming in around 400lbs wet for my 996 is reasonable after all..
Interesting that a stripped down superbike from 20 years ago (well, more than that if you consider when the 996 was designed ) with some money invested weighs the same as the latest and greatest and hugely expensive from Ducati in the form of the v4SL. Granted, huge horsepower requires bulk to contain it all..

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
My street 999 is 217 front, 185 rear (402 total) with an empty tank. It's got a lighter exhaust and OZ Gass wheels. I hope to lose another 20 lbs+ this winter with a carbon tank and bodywork, and loss of the chunky dual headlight unit.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My street 999 is 217 front, 185 rear (402 total) with an empty tank. It's got a lighter exhaust and OZ Gass wheels. I hope to lose another 20 lbs+ this winter with a carbon tank and bodywork, and loss of the chunky dual headlight unit.
Sounds like a very worthy winter project FourRings.
Looking forward to hear how much you do loose with completion pics as well

·
Registered
37 Posts
My track 999 comes in at 383 lb no fuel, Dunlop slicks, BST rims, CF tank, Li battery. However it gained weight when switching to Mupo shock and full Rapidbike autotune system (close to 4 lb in total if I remember correctly).

Reactions: vanduc996

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Front = 191.8
Rear = 189.8

The node and side fairing were not on when i weight The Tim Machine, and I expect them to wait around 7lbs - 10lbs. The margin of error of the scale may be up to 3lbs on the heavy side. Half a tank of gas.

Beside CF, a race stay for the tach, and a XX98 weight engine, there isn't much more to do to get the weight down. Roughly speaking, CF fairings should save 5lbs, tank 5-7lbs, race stay 5lbs, and engine 15lbs. So for a few $k the weight could be down to 365lbs. Of course, with more money you could get it down to around 355lbs or less.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Front = 191.8
Rear = 189.8

The node and side fairing were not on when i weight The Tim Machine, and I expect them to wait around 7lbs - 10lbs. The margin of error of the scale may be up to 3lbs on the heavy side. Half a tank of gas.

Beside CF, a race stay for the tach, and a XX98 weight engine, there isn't much more to do to get the weight down. Roughly speaking, CF fairings should save 5lbs, tank 5-7lbs, race stay 5lbs, and engine 15lbs. So for a few $k the weight could be down to 365lbs. Of course, with more money you could get it down to around 355lbs or less.
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of this "time machine." It sounds like it must be pretty amazing.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
You should feel sorry for it. I'll get a picture later today.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts