Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,522 Posts
Riddle me this

First up, yes we all know MM is the most talented rider on the grid.
We also see him ringing the neck of that Honda for most of the races, leaving black snakes on corner exits, hammering it down the straights and abusing the fuck out the front tyre on corner entry and braking...
So why does everyone else run out of grip towards the end of every race but he doesn't?
Half the riders all say the same... I had no grip left after half distance and couldn't stay at the front, Crutchlow included on the exact same bike.
So tell me, how is it possible to consistently be the fastest but at the same time have less degradation than the rest?
These days it's all about tyres.

Flame suit on. >:)

·
Bon Vivant
10,231 Posts
True, the Ape is a disaster but I've never had faith in or respect for Iannone. He's a loose cannon and putting him on a bike that could get him up towards the front would just cause chaos to everyone on the track, better to stick the time-bomb at the back where it will do the least amount of damage when it goes off.

·
Super Moderator
26,012 Posts
So why does everyone else run out of grip...
Because he's on a Repsol Honda and he's Spanish. He's supposed to win! There's no way in hell Dorna is going to take a close look at the software on that bike.

Iannone...

2013: 12th (Duc)
2014: 10th (Duc)
2015: 5th (Duc)
2016: 9th (Duc)
2017: 13th (Suz)
2018: 10th (Suz)

He had a couple good years on the Ducati. Currently 18th on the Aprilia and I'm sure looking at the end of his MotoGP career. That's what the Aprilia does for riders. Last stop, then off to your regional Superbike series with ya. Maybe MotoE if he's really lucky.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hmm, this is true but the semantics are misleading. The 2018 Duc wasnt better than the 2019 bike, its just that the Honda has caught up for 2019
1. Yes, Honda made a bigger step than Ducati in the off season.
2. Crutchlow - he has ridden Yamaha, Ducati, and Honda in MotoGP. He won’t achieve the same results as Marquez, his only claim to fame was a Supersport Championship before MotoGP. His teammate is nipping at his heels on last years bike. He is talented, but that doesn't mean automatic success.
3. Dovi - he has bested Marquez on the “last lap, lap corner” antics so far. He is a master tactician and knows how to save his tires for the end of the race. This frustrates Marquez, fun as hell to watch when it happens.

·
7,522 Posts
Rossi had a go on the Ducati too but gave up after the first 90 seconds.

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
First up, yes we all know MM is the most talented rider on the grid.
We also see him ringing the neck of that Honda for most of the races, leaving black snakes on corner exits, hammering it down the straights and abusing the fuck out the front tyre on corner entry and braking...
So why does everyone else run out of grip towards the end of every race but he doesn't?
Half the riders all say the same... I had no grip left after half distance and couldn't stay at the front, Crutchlow included on the exact same bike.
So tell me, how is it possible to consistently be the fastest but at the same time have less degradation than the rest?
These days it's all about tyres.

Flame suit on. >:)
because he adapts instead of whinging and is courageous beyond belief. not afraid to fall. front tyre is more important to him then the rear.

·
7,522 Posts
You can be as brash or brave as you like but if your tyres turn to shit your going nowhere except back through the pack.

·
Registered
405 Posts
True, the Ape is a disaster but I've never had faith in or respect for Iannone. He's a loose cannon and putting him on a bike that could get him up towards the front would just cause chaos to everyone on the track, better to stick the time-bomb at the back where it will do the least amount of damage when it goes off.

Oh god NOOOO!

Put him on a competitive bike and let him loose! surely some entertainment is batter than the Repsol/MM show we're enduring now, it's almost as tedious as the Doohan era.....

·
Registered
405 Posts
You can be as brash or brave as you like but if your tyres turn to shit your going nowhere except back through the pack.

Hmm, well, yes, to a point, there are the occasional exceptions

I can't remember the exact race but i do remember Iannone on a wet front tyre and a drying track hold on for a win? or podium? and the tyre was SHREDDED! nothing left of it at all! was he on the Suzuki? someone will know.

It's usually accepted that big balls and no brains won't win much, on those bikes it's pretty easy (apparently!) to destroy a tyre in a couple of laps if you try, making one last a race is a skill in itself but a skill that's just as necessary is understanding the bikes good and bad points and setting the bike up. MM has his own procedure and it seems to work for him, probably worth noting that Honda have built that bike around what he wants for a long while now, which is why they hired Lorenzo, as a seperate stream of information to make the bike more usable for those with a more "conventional" style.....

·
Bon Vivant
10,231 Posts
Oh god NOOOO!

Put him on a competitive bike and let him loose! surely some entertainment is batter than the Repsol/MM show we're enduring now, it's almost as tedious as the Doohan era.....

Kinda fun to say in jest but real events like Simoncelli, Kato, Tomizawa, and Salom are are gut wrenching tragedies, and as fun as it is to see close racing these guys are putting their lives on the line out there and there's no place for a racer who has no respect for the danger he imparts on other riders.

·
7,522 Posts
Kinda fun to say in jest but real events like Simoncelli, Kato, Tomizawa, and Salom are are gut wrenching tragedies, and as fun as it is to see close racing these guys are putting their lives on the line out there and there's no place for a racer who has no respect for the danger he imparts on other riders.

Bit over the top Dog..
Did you never watch the current world champion at work?

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
The standings dont bear this out. What has Iannone done this year? He has sucked from the back of the grid. You can blame the bike if you want but I don't think so. And who else besides Dovi has been able to make the Ducati work in the last decade? Yeah Jlo got it up front a couple of times but gave up or got canned (not sure which) and ended up struggling again.

Dovi is the only rider, with plenty of other ducati's on the grid, who has consistently challenged MM. And I think the idea that the Duc can't turn is history, I don't believe that assessment is true any longer. It sure turned well in this last race where Dovi and MM left the rest of the pack in the weeds and Dovi flat out-turned MM in the last corner where it counted.

As for grouchlow - spare us all from his constant whining and excuses. and then comes the chest pounding when he does finally find a spot on the podium. yikes! :crazy:
I recall Cal was on the POS bike like what Rossi and others rode and then things got better after they left. Many riders suffered for years, one exception being Stoner, but even he had big issues with the front end in the turns and I think that contributed to his retirement thoughts. The bike transformed thereafter, but I think this year's machine rested on it's 2018 technology as Honda made a technical jump forward in the meantime. Ducati has got to get the power domination back in order, turning is another thing.

I wanted JLo to come back. At one point after he won three events on the Duc, I felt he was in contention for the top step, he had that machine dialed in. I didn't like his post win celebration stuff, but after he started surging strongly, I overlooked that crap totally. Too bad they couldn't work it out, but I think Miller will bring an aggressive style to the party and hopefully have the bike under him to challenge MM.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Jeebus .... this is like talking about which caliber bullet is most effective for defense purposes. Metric shit tons of opinions.

I already know ... for an absolute fact ... who will win 2019 ......

The rider with the most points!

:laugh:

·
Registered
405 Posts

They're not playing netball!

I'm not saying that so he crashes into anyone, no one wants to see people hurt, but some proper racing would be nice! On track behaviour attempting to pass is what racing is about, lets see more of it

And no one forces them to do it, it's a dangerous sport and accidents happen, Iannone has no respect for other riders? really? I don't see it that way, i see a competitive guy who wants to win.
If you want to talk about riders with no respect for their competition you don't have to look too hard to see who the paddock view fitting that description, and it ain't Iannone.......

·
7,522 Posts
Yes .. one of the riders spelled it out explicitly after a recent on track and pit lane altercation with that bloke with the overinflated sense of self entitlement.

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
Jeebus .... this is like talking about which caliber bullet is most effective for defense purposes. Metric shit tons of opinions.

I already know ... for an absolute fact ... who will win 2019 ......

The rider with the most points!

:laugh:
Admit it, you like the chatter and exchange of opinions and speculations. This is how we make sense of swirling rumors.

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
They're not playing netball!

I'm not saying that so he crashes into anyone, no one wants to see people hurt, but some proper racing would be nice! On track behaviour attempting to pass is what racing is about, lets see more of it

And no one forces them to do it, it's a dangerous sport and accidents happen, Iannone has no respect for other riders? really? I don't see it that way, i see a competitive guy who wants to win.
If you want to talk about riders with no respect for their competition you don't have to look too hard to see who the paddock view fitting that description, and it ain't Iannone.......
Iannone had the tools, he just needed to settle down within his learning curve. MM has gone through it, but his circumstances provided him the advantage of a substantial points lead this year and why take yourself down when you don't have to. I was disappointed when Iannone was released, he had the better potential if given a better bike. Somehow I get the feeling the politics had a role to play, somebody didn't like the idea of Iannone challenging Dovi at the front.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Admit it, you like the chatter and exchange of opinions and speculations. This is how we make sense of swirling rumors.
Admit it, all I've done is make fun of a rider or two. I'm not talking up position in all of the future predicting, conjecture, speculation, and taking up of sides. I also like to make fun of these fairly pointless discussions. Which is why I likened it to other controversial topics like self defense, oil, airbox modifications, tire selection, and so on.

There is no making sense of rumors. Rumor are just that ... rumors. Which are based on opinions alone and little fact, that's why they are classified as rumors in the first place. I used to be a street cop ... you want to talk about rumors! My God ... most of them carry on like 13 year old girls in Jr. High School!

To be very honest, I don't even know who most of the riders are that are being discussed. I especially don't know their nicknames, and I have to look them up. I'm not really part of the loop because I don't follow MGP as closely as others do. Sure, I watch the races, but I don't make it a point to consume information regarding who's playin' footsies with what factories for how many cookies. I guess I just enjoy a little joking around about it all.

I don't think less of people that engage in such discussions, it's their ~thing~ and that is totally cool. But the discussions do sound like most other hen sessions. Reminds me of High School when we would argue who could do more push ups between Bob Hannah and Kenny Roberts. Pretty funny stuff.

:laugh: >:) :grin2:

21 - 40 of 67 Posts