Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ducati GP has stifled many talented riders. Has it become a more users friendly bike over the years or is there still only a particular type of rider that can understand it? Your thoughts.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
The Ducati GP has stifled many talented riders. Has it become a more users friendly bike over the years or is there still only a particular type of rider that can understand it? Your thoughts.

If they can just get it to turn mid corner then they have a winner, naturally a couple of extra hp would be useful but Ducati know how to do that.

·
7,547 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they can just get it to turn mid corner then they have a winner, naturally a couple of extra hp would be useful but Ducati know how to do that.
What are you on about Davy. Dovi did a brilliant mid corner pass on MM without a problem. Kept it tight and low and straight underneath in mid corner :)

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
I think they need to put Cal Crutchlow on one. Hell, he's crashed everything else, I bet he would do well. There would be some new spectacles he could make of himself.

>:)>:)>:)

·
7,547 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think they need to put Cal Crutchlow on one. Hell, he's crashed everything else, I bet he would do well. There would be some new spectacles he could make of himself.

He's had a go, never stopped moaning about everything as well. That whinger is too full of himself, telling his team mate he doesn't deserve a factory bike! LOL just who the fuck does he think he is?

·
Registered
552 Posts

He's had a go, never stopped moaning about everything as well. That whinger is too full of himself, telling his team mate he doesn't deserve a factory bike! LOL just who the fuck does he think he is?

Ducati made the wrong decision when they kept Dovisioso over Iannone, Dovi is too old, too conservative and really, a bit comfortable and not prepared to stick his neck out. Iannone on the other hand would stuff it up anybody and to hell with the consequences, Ducati need that because it's the only way they can beat Marquez. 4 factory bikes next year? Pah! Bagnaia won't amount to much for a couple more years yet, Petrucci runs hot and cold, and he's too heavy to be truly competitive when it really matters, Dovi? well, i've covered that. That leaves Miller, he still needs to mature a bit to be consistent but he has the snarl, he just needs to understand the set up and tyres a bit more i reckon.

The bike itself is more than capable, sure there are tracks it works better at than others but they're all like that in one way or another, the Honda is the best all rounder but the Ducati should be capable of doing the business against it.

One thing is for sure, Marquez is well and truly past making unforced errors, the only way to beat him is to pressure him, and some "racing incidents" would be nice, bring back Iannone!

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
I agree about Cal being a whiner and hes great at pointing fingers at supposed issues.
I had to have been out of it to miss him riding a Duck. (I basically fell off earth when I was dealing with health issues) As far as someone to rattle MM's cage, I think you need a Wayne Gardner type that just will not quit. A true hero in my mind and a favorite to watch. I believe you are correct there on MM not making mistakes, when he does, it seems he can reign it back in. The guy is utterly non human. It'll be a forced error or a bit of roughin up his bodywork so to say to get him shaky. I admire the guy, obviously dont care for who he rides for but, his talent speaks for itself. It seems right now, everybody else is sucking hind tit..................

·
Bon Vivant
10,497 Posts
Ducati made the wrong decision when they kept Dovisioso over Iannone, Dovi is too old, too conservative ~ snip~

!

The standings dont bear this out. What has Iannone done this year? He has sucked from the back of the grid. You can blame the bike if you want but I dont think so. And who else besides Dovi has been able to make the Ducati work in the last decade? Yeah Jlo got it up front a couple of times but gave up or got canned (not sure which) and ended up struggling again.

Dovi is the only rider, with plenty of other ducati's on the grid, who has consistently challenged MM. And I think the idea that the Duc can't turn is history, I dont believe that assessment is true any longer. It sure turned well in this last race where Dovi and MM left the rest of the pack in the weeds and Dovi flat out-turned MM in the last corner where it counted.

As for grouchlow - spare us all from his constant whining and excuses. and then comes the chest pounding when he does finally find a spot on the podium. yikes! :crazy:

·
Registered
255 Posts
The 2018 bike was a lot more competitive than the current 2019 bike compared to the Honda of Marquez. Say what you want about JLo, but they made more strides in curing their turning woes with him on board. The problem they got now is the Honda has a lot stronger engine, maybe the fastest on the grid with Marquez on board. Marquez lost a little at the beginning of the season on corner entry with the 2019 Honda, but was making up for it with acceleration. He seems to have regained some of that in the last 2 meetings with the carbon reinforced frame, which is a disaster for everybody else.

·
Super Moderator
26,132 Posts
The standings dont bear this out. What has Iannone done this year? He has sucked from the back of the grid. You can blame the bike if you want but I dont think so. And who else besides Dovi has been able to make the Ducati work in the last decade? Yeah Jlo got it up front a couple of times but gave up or got canned (not sure which) and ended up struggling again.
The Aprilia is a disaster, a total POS. Were they doing better before Iannone dropped down to their level? On the Ducati Iannone brought it with aggression...something that's sorely lacking in either Ducati garage now. Sure it went pear shaped more than once, but he brought it. He's a much better rider than the Ape deserves and he's smart enough not to risk his life for grid filler positions.
Dovi's just too inconsistent.

Jlo would have given MM a run for his money last year and this year. Ducati fucked up BIG letting him go.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd agree with that,

As innovative as the team is with development and trying new things on the bike their rider management just plain sucks. The rubbish about Lorenzo taking Millers ride at pramac is just one example, the guy has a year and a half of a HRC contract, no way are they letting him go to their arch rival, they would sooner sit him out and pay him than do that. Miller did his best to keep his head clear of that nonsense but i'm sure it was part of why he crashed (not that he needs too much help, but hey, at least he's trying...) Resigned for 2020 now so we will see how he keeps maturing.

For me, and this is obviously in hindsight, i'd have Lorenzo and Iannone on the factory bikes, that would be an interesting combination. I know Iannone struggled on the Suzuki but it was way behind on speed and to be anywhere he had to make it up on the brakes and corner speed, that led to crashes, frustration etc. The Aprilia? it's a disaster, Espargaro who is normally diplomatic and reserved when asked is now very vocal about what the bike needs and he's obviously frustrated, Iannone just rides it, at the back.....

Dovi is consistent, consistently reserved and riding within himself, sure, if the bike was 10kmh faster than the Honda like it was 2 years ago his results would come easier but the Honda/Marquez combo is too fast and he won't stick his neck out every time he rides it, never has, never will. Iannone would...........

1 - 20 of 67 Posts