Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's done it? I have. Last year, after about a month of my ownership of my 800ss. I came in from a ride, got off quick because I had to pee, and ran off without putting the kickstand down.

Blam.

So.....have you done it?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I did it in the garage taking my 696 off the rear stand.
It leaned a little to the right and I couldn't stop it.
I was able to get my body under it before it hit the concrete, and the only damage was it bent the rear brake lever a little.
I felt like a fool.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I did it in the garage taking my 696 off the rear stand.
It leaned a little to the right and I couldn't stop it.
I was able to get my body under it before it hit the concrete, and the only damage was it bent the rear brake lever a little.
I felt like a fool.
Oh Man! Self sacrifice for the sake of a Ducati! You're the MAN!!! :yeah:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Haven't done it yet....but I have a Cyclecat rear stand that tilts the bike onto the kickstand. Not crazy about the design but I don't have the money for a Pit Bull right now.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Nope. But in a somewhat related story involving kick stands (bordering on thread jack), my sister decided to take my cow of a Yamaha XS650 Special out for a joy-ride, a bike that I removed the side tand from cuz I really only used the center stand and the side stand would drag the odd time. So sis takes the bike and upon returning can't put it up on the center stand. She was stuck there holding my bike upright for an hour and a half until one of her neighbourhood friends came and rescued her. She did not drop it though.

Ah my sister... she once took the parents volvo out for a joy ride (before she had a licence) and didn't take off the e-brake. She lost all of her babysitting money she had saved for the year secretly paying to get the e-brake fixed.

If I recall correctly, she was grounded about 30% of her teenage life:think:

·
Registered
365 Posts
The only bike i have ever dropped in the driveway is my 1800 Goldwing.But gravity and 900lb of bike is just a matter of time kind of thing.:rolleyes:

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I was in Pullman, Washington on a Spring Break trip and backed my late 02-ST4s down a driveway while I was sitting on it. The driveway was sloped down to the side walk. I did not realize the extent of the angle the driveway formed where it met the sidewalk until I put my left foot down and got nothing but air, followed by a slo-mo drop.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I've never done it with my Ducatis (my work Harley, however, is another story), but the guy I sold my 900SS did it...in my garage.

I detailed the bike and it did look fantastic. I staged it in the garage so that when he arrived, I would open the garage door and there she would be, at the perfect viewing angle, and positioned so the lights would hit it just right. It worked. He was drooling! He said he had looked all over the southwest for that model 900SS in a meticulously cared for condition, with no luck. Under my watchful eye, he sat on it, started it, and gave it a once- and twice-over with a critical eye. He loved it. He ran to the bank to get the rest of the money, and handed me the stack of bills upon his return. He returned to fawning over the bike as I counted the money. I no sooner said, "Yep, it's all there", and I heard the crash from behind me! I spun around, and there was my beauty laying on her left side! The sound of the broken clutch lever skittering across the smooth concrete floor echoed in the garage. The poor bastard was a little guy, and was immediately up and straining to lift the bike. My wife, who had come into the garage to witness the transaction, snatched up the stack of cash and disappeared into the house. Good girl.

The guy was choking back the tears. He had known about the auto-retracting side stand, but had momentarily forgot about it in his giddiness. He went to lean it back onto the side stand that was no longer there, and...well, you know. I wanted to rip his head off for dropping my bike at first, but then remembered he had already paid me. He had dropped his bike, not mine!

I'm sure he had a looong drive back to Texas. But, he sent me an e-mail a few weeks later saying he had replaced the broken turn signal and clutch lever, buffed out the scratches, and it was as if it had never happened.

Hearing his love for his machine that was my love for several years consoled me. I had sold her, but it was going to be okay.

·
Señor Member
8,254 Posts
Some time after replacing the chain it needed a bit of adjustment. Instead of putting her on the rear stand I did it while she sat on her side stand in the driveway. When I put the torque to the socket on the LH side to break the nut loose it rolled off the stand. I tried to catch her when I realized what was happening but was behind the curve. In that ever so tortuous slow motion she went down. Ended up with the slightest scratches at the high spot of the lower fairing.

"in God we trust"

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had a 0 mph tipover each way on my ST3. The one to the left was when the kickstand flipped up as I was pushing it forward while sitting on it. When I stopped and let the bike lean over to the left it just kept going with me on it. Oddly, this led to a crack on my RIGHT fairing somehow. The other time I was sitting on it and decided to lean over to check the oil level in the window. My weight and the bike's weight compounded and the next thing you know I we were both on the ground. The oil level was, of course, fine.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Good Thread

When my 999 got delivered my Ducatisti buddy said "Make sure you got all of your bike dropping out of your system" Good words and I have been blessed so far.

Good story on my first bike/first drop though:

I was 16 and had just gotten a Yamaha Maxim, red and loved the bike. I went to show my High School GF and her parents. As I was leaving her house, I put on the black jacket, sunglasses, I was just oozing coolness. Her Mom and Dad stood off to the side, doubtful of my ability. But I was too cool and I was going to show them just what a catch I was for their little girl. So I got on the bike leaned over and kissed her right in front of them. I was parked in the driveway, on a slight hill so had left the bike in gear. I hit the start button (no cutoff) and that thing just jumped up like a spastic donkey and sent me and the bike into the hedges, it tipped over I went rolling. I stood up with leaves and branches sticking out of my hair, sunglasses all askew, and the love of my life and her parents were literally on the ground pissing themselves laughing so hard. I was never the same.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Dropped my 800ss the second year I owned her. Pulled in the garage after dark just after spring start up. Tried to catch it but somewhat gently laid down and broke one turn signal and scratched lower fairing one inch. Always check now when I go to lean them over, visually double check.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not yet with the duc (knock on wood). With my old Honda interceptor, yep. Coming down off the centerstand I got my pant leg with the shifter. Having expected it to roll forward I wasn't in position for it to drop into gear and stop dead. Well it fell away from me, I tried for the right bar and got a mirror. So there I am standing there with the mirror ripped off in my hand, the right bar through the wall of the garage and wondering how I am gonna lift that monster back up. I closed the garage door, took off my riding gear, and sat down for a beer.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,322 Posts
Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic ,800+ pounds travelling at 1/8 mph just going to move it 2 feet , kickstand went up, think my foot was in the way ,rolled over ever so slowly with my diminishing strength engine guards did their job no damage ,Wifey (Olympic 55kilo weightlifting contender ) helped get it up..
Lesson learned 2 beers leave the thing alone...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Picked up my brand spanking new 907 one rainy afternoon. On the way home from the dealer I hit a pothole that was hidden by rainwater.

The following morning I was out riding, saw a buddy so I pulled into his driveway. Tried to do a U-turn, thought i was going to hit his car, so I stopped. The bike was still leaned over and I couldn't hold it up. Dropped it right there in his driveway, less than 24 hours old.

The thing was, I had a full face helmet on and he had NO idea who this idiot was who just dropped a brand new Ducati in his driveway until I took my helmet off.

He tried to make me feel better by telling me about when he dropped his new BMW... onto his dad's newly painted Jag...

I went home and went back to bed. Later that day when looking at the damage I noticed I had dinged the wheel in the pothole incident. What a great day...

I fixed the all the damage over the winter, and still own the bike today...

·
Premium Member
12,322 Posts
Funny thing is that we always remember the "OH SHITS " ,we pull off . Probably the last living thought we have

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Most embarrassing for me was in the parking lot at work. I was parked on a slight incline facing uphill. Rolled back enough to power forward and turn on the ramp using power and forward motion to balance while turning. At near full lock the kill switch hit the tankbag. Engine stopped, forward motion stopped, gyro stabilizers failed and the bike was on it’s side. I stood there looking around hoping no one saw what had happened. :eek:

1 - 20 of 136 Posts