Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... has struck!

Had my bike in for the 7500 mile service on Monday, and we discovered that the tank has clearly expanded. Quite a bit actually.

Enough that when you torn the handlebar to the right, the top triple clamp now hits the tank. Also, when we tried to put the tank back on after doing the valves, the filler cap for the radiator now hits and has dug in a few mm into the tank. We had trouble getting it back on, because it was hitting the radiator filler before the tank even got on far enough to line to hole up with the bolt that secures it.

Bike is only 6 months old and it has expanded a lot!

Dealer took tons of pics and already submitted a warranty claim to DNA, so we shall see what happens.

I knew something weird was up when my Tech-Spec "Gripster" tank pads started looking funny. The adhesive backing is exposed about 2mm all the way around the black rubber pad. Looks like the pad shrank, but what really happened is that the tank expanded and pulled the adhesive film with it, while the rubber pad is too think and hard to stretch so it remained the same size, exposing the adhesive layer.

What I want to know, is how the hell they let this happen? They know that the US uses Ethanol in the gas, for years, and they know that tank expansion has been an issue for a couple years at least. Why the hell is a 2010 model still shipping with the old tanks that they know are a problem in this country?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Dang... I didn't know this stuff was still an issue.

I have a friend with a Monster S4R that's been battling with a warranty claim on it forever. When he removed the bolts to pivot the tank, he couldn't put the bolts back in because the tank is pushing forward so much.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Evidently, its water in the plastic used in the tank...

I am told the fix is to leave the tank empty, exposed to air, to dry for 2-3 WEEKS, then coat the inside of the tank.

Sorry to hear it happening again...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
What I want to know, is how the hell they let this happen? They know that the US uses Ethanol in the gas, for years, and they know that tank expansion has been an issue for a couple years at least. Why the hell is a 2010 model still shipping with the old tanks that they know are a problem in this country?
Acerbis is the supplier of the tanks to Ducati...have no idea why they still haven't gotten their act together, and stranger still is why Ducati continues to procure tanks from them...like maybe they don't care...:mad:

My tank is showing signs of expanding also, couple of small bumps...recently I been wondering if I want to own this bike after the warranty coverage ends.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Q: do all fuel grades in the US contain ethanol? Here in Oz the premium octanes certainly don't, and any ethanol-added fuel has to be clearly labelled and sold at a lesser price......there's no issue here if you use the (as recommended) higher octane fuel.

jdw

·
Registered
533 Posts
It is still possible to get non-ethanol fuel most places, but it seems to be showing up more and more. It is getting hard for me to avoid the stuff. I don't like it regardless of tank issues as I am not keen on the lower mileage, fuel system issues, water retention, and of course */RANT ON* the fact that burning your food (or things produced on land that would have produced food) is not saving money or environmental damage anyway.*/RANT OFF*

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The only way to get non 10% ethanol fuel in Hawaii is to fill up at the boat harbor...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Avgas isn't really good for modern cars anyway...it typically contains lead. That's why it's called 100LL--LL standing for low lead. The fuel we use in cars has virtually no lead, and new motors are not designed to use the leaded fuel.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
because of the cats - if the cats are out there should be no problem (read the avgas forums). The LL deposits are minimal - not for full time use....

·
Registered
77 Posts
I make it a habit to treat my fuel with marine formula Stabil after every ride. The marine formula is designed to deal with common ethanol related issues like the swelling of plastic parts.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
My tank has expanded as well and cracked the paint on one part.. I've been meaning to drive my butt down to dallas to try to get it covered under warranty..

The other day when I posted, I got the same responses.. ethanol free gas and or coating the inside of the tank.

Has anybody had problems getting the Warranty to cover this issue?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Has anybody had problems getting the Warranty to cover this issue?
According to my dealer it's a simple matter of bringing the bike in, they take pictures and then send a warranty claim to DNA...of course no telling how long you'll have to wait for a new tank, but you should get one sooner or later...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 202 Posts