Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on a little 4 day trip to the Tail of the Dragon in a couple of weeks, so I wanted to get a little input from some people that know the area, or have been. I have heard there are several roads in that region that are way better to ride on, because you don't have to deal with the overcrowded road. Of course I have to check out the Dragon, but I know there are more scenic twisties to be had in that area. Any input on highways or routes would be great. I'm coming up from Savannah, GA through Asheville NC.

·
Registered
464 Posts
bwall, please send me a PM if you travel down my way or if you want to do a trip to Fernandina Beach for lunch some day.

Enjoy that trip to the gap, I am jealous.

·
Registered
286 Posts
There was just a thread very recently on this very topic. Do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find it. As a recap, Hwy 28 from the end of The Dragon east to Fontana, and the Cherohola Skyway from basically Robinsville to Tellico Plains. Both of those are can't miss in my book!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go the tail of the dragon website and you can get a lot of info. and DO pay attention to the map with the speed traps noted and watch your speed especially on the four-lane divided highways arround that area as the highway patrol in NC spends a lot time watching for bikes on those roads. The Cherahola is amazing and go over the dam, on I think it's the 28 highway. there are so many good roads around there you can't miss. The website is:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

have fun and try to hit the Dragon early on the weekends or on weekday as there's not so much traffic.

This place is GREAT for dinner and if you don't have rooms check it out:

http://www.bluewatersmtnl.com/

·
Registered
117 Posts
Almost any road in eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina is fun to ride. Maryville to Walden Creek through CadesCove in the Great Smokey Mtns Park is fun, few police, no traffic. From Walden Creek take US441 south to US19 west to Hwy28 to the Dragon (US129) and end up back in Maryville. It's all good.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I was just out that way today.
Took my ramblin rental car into Tellico Plains and ran up the Cherohala Pkwy a few miles. Not many bikes. Roads were wet. Lots of debris on the corners, big branches and some wash for graels shoulders. So be careful.
I love that area.
I'd really like to take a good dual-sport out there. Lots of exploring to be done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just toured that area 10 days ago.Temperature was 56 degrees up on the Blue Ridge and Cherohala Skyway and but a steamy 90 in the valleys. Dragon is a great place to get a t shirt and a coke but there are many better less crowded roads. Get onto the Blue Ridge Parkway in Ashville and enjoy the last 75 miles of the parkway as you head west into Cherokee.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Stay off the interstate...you can't go wrong. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another recommendation for the tail of the dragon web site. You'll find information on a lot of roads in the area. The Cherohala Skyway is a great ride as is the Foothills Pkwy. The Devils Triangle is also a must. There are so many roads to ride in that area, you can't go wrong in whatever direction you go.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lots of great roads, can't go wrong. Lots of cops on the 4 lane roads, they want your money! Best to ride during the week. Be aware of photo guys on the Dragon. They hang on the better turns and snap you as you go by. This is pretty cool, but at first you think its "looser lawman" with a radar.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Be careful riding the Dragon. When I did it last June, a buddy and I got sandwiched between three Harley's riding 2-up at about 30 mph and a bunch of squids on 600's cutting in and out of us and the H-D's. It really sucked.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I just finished working in Knoxville last Friday. In 4 weeks I got to put some more miles on at The Gap/Cherohala Skyway. Tn. DOT has paved over 200 pull offs along US129 "The Dragon". Definitely makes slower vehicles more likely to pull over & let the faster ones by. One place to be especially aware of LEOs with radar is just north of the Gap on US129 where you are riding alongside water where there is a dam (Tallassee, Chilhowee). This stretch of 129 has straights that you could do 140 but the speed limit is ONLY 40! I've seen up to 5 radar units in those few miles on a Sat. morning. Last week on Tuesday after work I was rolling along there & got hit with radar by a cop on a BMW. I was doing probably 55-60 & he threw his lights on (probably saw my frontend dive when my V1 went off). I was saying "Oh F^%k" to myself & pulled over at the next safe spot & waited for him but he never came back. I guess he just wanted to shake me up a little. I heard recently about cops watching the Dragon & letting people slide for speeding as long as you stayed on your side of the yellow line. People they saw speeding & crossing the centerline got nailed. Personally. I've never seen radar in the middle of the "318 turns in 11 miles", & more often than not I have a radar detector on my bike.
Another great road I really like is just west of the Tn./NC state line on US64. Go north on Rt. 30 (in Tn.) from 64 Take 30N to Rt. 315 (theres a bridge just past a store, turn right) to Rt.39 (right) & you will end up in Tellico Plains. Have fun. Keep it on 2 (or at least 1!)
Gregg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input! I have to finish up some maintenance and will be ready to roll this week. Does Ducati know that there is a better place to put a fuel filter?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts