Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

First off I'm proud to say that I am finally in the market for a Hypermotard. Ever since the Hyper debuted, it has been the ultimate dream bike of mine. Not one bike has ever topped that spot. Nothing. I'm in a point in my life now where I can finally make that dream become reality and I cannot wait more than ever to finally own one of these. You truly have no idea how excited I am to finally be able own my true ultimate #1 dream bike.

Anywho, to say the least I pretty much know the specs of these bikes inside and out and the differences between all the models etc etc, so not looking info there.

What I am wondering from you guys though is to get your opinions on whether or not I should only look for an S model specifically and count out the standard model altogether or consider them both. Basically I don't want to get a standard model and eventually think to myself, man, I really could do with those 1098 brakes. :cool: Basically what I'm asking is, do the two different models (S and Standard) feel quite different than each other in overall ridability? Do the lighter weight Marchesini's on the S really give it a lighter feel when making side to side transitions? Does the Ohilins rear handle/feel that much better than the Sachs unit on the standard model? More specifically, does one have to be on a track and ride each to their full potential in order to notice the differences?

Those are the questions I'd love to hear your insight on. I totally understand that maybe a lot of you haven't ridden both models back to back, but it would be interesting to hear your opinions nonetheless on the subject.

There is a really nice low mileage, well appointed/taken care of standard 1100 in my area that I'd love to grab in a heartbeat for said reasons, however, something in the back of my mind keeps thinking that if I got it that maybe I will have wished that I had waited and got an S, even if it had more quite a bit more mileage. BUT, if I'm not really going to be feeling the differences unless I'm on the track riding the bike to it's full potential then, well...?

I appreciate the thoughts and insight from the owners of these bikes to help me make my decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had no doubt that I would regret not buying the S, so that's what I did. For me the decision was easy since I knew that I'd regret not having the higher quality components, regardless of the fact that my riding skills aren't anywhere near the level where they'd make a difference. I think you're just looking for external justification for a decision your gut has already made :D Go for it!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I dont think you need to be on the track to appreciate the performance upgrade of certains parts and the eye candy of others.

Lighter wheels make a difference. I went from cast non-S to forged OZ, and there really is a difference.

Brembo Monoblocs M4 are quite something. Some might say overkill, but they provide an amazing initial bite and power.
I went from non-S Brembo 2 pieces to Brembo M4, big improvement.
In fact I'm only using one M4 now.

The Fork on the S is eye candy. The gold upper tube is bling, and the black DLC treatment on the lower tubes doesnt make any real difference. Supposed to reduce friction.
Again, I have the 2 forks, from non-S and S, both have the crap internals and need a good cartridges kit to perform.

I found the Ohlins shock better that the Sachs unit.
But any rebuilt/resprung/revalved shock will give you great results.

Ride height adjustor on the S is a plus, but cost only 120$ or so, and is an easy upgrade.

I bought a non-S thinking I didnt care about all the extra stuff, and I found myself sucked in the mods game, to a point where I pretty much only need an extra frame to be able to build a 2nd Hyper with all my spare parts.

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fantastic, just the responses that I was hoping to hear.

I suppose that since the Hyper has been such a dream of mine to own and I've waited this long, why settle for less and get the model you really want. Do it right the first time with no regrets. ;)

Thanks guys, looking forward to officially being able to be part of the club soon. :cool:

·
Registered
532 Posts
i had the 1100 and no doubt a great bike and as far as i am concerned the odinary 5/8 could not ride it to it's limits. Having said that i always wished i had bought the 1100s. i now have the 1100 evo sp and have no regrets. I would say the best all round bike on the market. thats after 31 years of motorcycling

·
Registered
169 Posts
Before i got my 1100s i was in the market researching and what not.. I went with the S because It was the baddest bike i could find in my budget and let me tell you never ending smiles with this beast.... Just go with whatever bike u think you'll have the most fun on and off cause I cant help but check this bike out every time i walk thru garage shaking my head (that thing is bad dude and just itching to ride) and the same goes for whenever i see one on the streets i find myself drawn to it checking it out.. I have a cover but i cant talk myself into covering when in the garage maybe im still just in that "love" stage of ownership hahahah... Pull the trigger U wont be disappointed

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's a no brainer. If you add the prices of those upgrades (even used on Ebay) you're way ahead of the game buying the S. I had the same debate and went with the S and dont regret it at all.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I've got an '08 S and prefer to ride it over everything else that's in my garage. It's the freak machine. I came out of a local eatery the other day and had several guys standing over mine. I spent the next 5 minutes answering questions while trying to get on and ride away. My Girl Friend was waiting in her vehicle to follow me back to my place and wasn't amused. After getting home, she asked what the guys wanted and I said they were lusting over the bike. She thought that was weird. Personally, I was digging it. If my memory serves me correctly, I was riding it when I met her, hmmmm? Hopefully she likes me for who I am, but maybe she likes the bike? I'm thinking the dog isn't going to like this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought the non S 2012 and no regrets here! Love every aspect of it. I drove the S and there are differences ( not drastic) in my opinion. Depends of what type of driving you do. If you are going to be lusting over the S having the standard for whatever reason then buy the S. simple...

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
had a 08 1100 non S and upgraded to a 2012 1100 evo SP. like night and day imo.

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome, thank you for all the great responses. It really helps reinforce my decision making! You guys are getting me pumped more than ever now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts