Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 97 m750 with a trashed top end(belts got ate up), it was going to cost more to rebuild the heads than get used ones, but 97 heads were more scarce and cost more than 2000 heads. so I got the 2000 heads and will try to explain the differences here. First yes they will work but not with the 97 cylinders, they must be newer cylinders.
In 97 the o-ring grooves are on the head,2000 on the cylinder,so a 2000 head on a 97 cylinder has no way to seal the oil passages.The horizontal cylinder oil hole from the case to cylinder is approximately one hole space off,there is room to drill a hole right next to it and make it do a zigzag,I modified the 97 base gasket to match,also the oil return galleys are a little off ,so I took a little off the spigot to allow a full return.To get the holes on the gaskets proper I used tape and a marker to get things marked, then used scissors and a hole punch to modify.There were no issues with the vertical cylinder, although the heads and cylinders in 2000 have bigger cooling fins,but they don't get in the way.Next the cam belt idlers bolt to the case in 97, and the cylinders in 2000, so you have to use the idlers and brackets from the 2000.While I was this far I updated all the pulleys to the 2000 , in 97 they used a square tooth belt in 2000 a round tooth belt.
Also the 97 had two "A" pistons and the 2000 had an A and a B, the B was trashed so I miked them out and were exactly the same so the A's went in As I write this I've just about got the carbs sorted out and will be riding it soon, so far it is running great.Sorry for no pictures but my camera wasn't working at the time.Feel free to ask any questions.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts