1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good interview with the master found on Ducati.com
Found this interesting

TRAVAGLIN
My last question: for the two-valve “Desmo” engine, the manufacturers recommend a valve check every 3,000 km, while I noticed that this check is only recommended every 20,000 km for the 4-valve engine. What materials change?

TAGLIONI
No materials change.
The thing is that in the 4-valve, the weights involved are much smaller, therefore, the stress on the valve is much lower than in the 2-valve engine.
However, it’s not true that a Desmo system should be adjusted every 3,000km.
If the Desmo system is well engineered, after a first adjustment at the 1,000 km mark you can use it for another 50,000 without any adjustment – unless the permitted rpm is considerably exceeded.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
when the 851 came out the 4V valve clearance inspection interval was 3,000km. then it went to 5,000 with later 851/888. the 2V were every 5,000 as well. then they dropped the first service check for '97 model year i think and went to 10,000 on everything, which is now 12,000.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the Desmo system is well engineered, after a first adjustment at the 1,000 km mark you can use it for another 50,000 without any adjustment – unless the permitted rpm is considerably exceeded.
I just want to meet that guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts