Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that ducatis aren't cheap to maintain (in the shop)
i have 2 BMWs, so i'm used to HIGH SHOP PRICES
and the place where i'll get my ducati is the one and same as where my BMWs were bought and serviced

so........
how much DOES it cost to maintain the 999?
is it more for the "R" version?
because the motor is hand built... can the same guys really work on it?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i'd be prepared to spend $1200-1500 every 6000 miles for service work and tires."r"seems to make no differance

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kaos said:
i'd be prepared to spend $1200-1500 every 6000 miles for service work and tires."r"seems to make no differance
thanks for the numbers
i guess i'll have to say that it sounds reasonable
it's the price to pay to own a ducati

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
600 mile dealer service was $325
6000mile dealer service was $535
12000 mile dealer service was $1037
18000mile service was $50 (I did it myself) All the valves were still in spec and didn't need to change the cam belts. I expect the 24000 to be around $250 +/- due to new cam belts, air filters, all new half-rings and most likely some shims. Again with doing the work myself.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B_Cebrian said:
18000mile service was $50 (I did it myself) All the valves were still in spec and didn't need to change the cam belts. I expect the 24000 to be around $250 +/- due to new cam belts, air filters, all new half-rings and most likely some shims. Again with doing the work myself.
sound reasonable to me
i better learn to do more things by myself
my dealer (who also services my BMWs) just charged me $650.00 for a 1 year service on my 2002 BMW K1200LT.... which is ridiculous, of course

·
Registered
70 Posts
B_Cebrian said:
It's good to know there are some guys on here that are willing to work on their own bikes. Tell me...How do you reset the "Check Engine" light when it comes on for the 6k mile service? Please tell me this isn't a "dealer-only" thing.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
the mathesus (spelling?) is needed to reset the service indicator,as well as belt tension,tps,fuel mixture,idle speed,diagnostics etc,and at about$4000 its large hurdle overcome in order to service your own bike.other options are out there ,but nothing does it all,so your obligated to use the ducati spec computer system.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Funny thing about that little wrench. Mine came on once at the 600 mile service, it was reset by the dealer when he did the work. I've never seen it again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Your other option for maintenance is to ask your dealer if they offer Dealer's Direct Maintenance. A Ducati Dealer in Fresno CA offers that, which you can pay about $1600.00 for 3 year of maintenance or $3000.00 for 6 years I believe. This includes unlimited oil changes/unlimited miles, and it includes all the major services, which I think is the way to go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Maybe I should have mentioned that I live way out here on Guam and there isn't a Ducati dealer that I can simply ride to.

So seeing as how I'll be doing all my own work as usual...is there a way to reset that little light myself?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is is not a problem to reset service light. You can do it with vdsts software I think, this software costs only about 200 USD.

With same software you can adjust idle mixture (you need CO2 meter to do that) and reset tps and do all other things you have to do electronically when servicing your Ducati.

Of course you need some good tools and place to fiddle with the bike too, but this isn't space shuttle servicing. You can buy factory service manual and there is described everything you need.

Valve adjustment and cam belt changes are things that you can do also yourself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the info, Jyric. Do you know anyone that has actually tried it?

Yeah, I also plan to do the 6k mile service and valve adjustment myself. I'm pretty handy and have a fully equipped toolbox. I think the part that will drive me crazy is waiting a week or two for parts to arrive when I have to order the replacement shims and stuff.

And not to hijack this thread...but does anyone have recommendations on where I can buy Genuine Ducati Parts on-line?

·
Registered
241 Posts
JyriC said:
Is is not a problem to reset service light. You can do it with vdsts software I think, this software costs only about 200 USD.

With same software you can adjust idle mixture (you need CO2 meter to do that) and reset tps and do all other things you have to do electronically when servicing your Ducati.

I have joined this site because I'm thinking about finally purchasing a 999 and selling my Falco. Checking to see what the problems are with the 999. Is this correct that I can't reset the service light unless I spend only $200 for software? I do all my own service since I don't trust any of the shops.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
kaos said:
I was told by the service manager in Snottsdale that the 749/999 s/r models are more expensive because the heads need to be pulled.

·
comrade moderator
27,415 Posts
Hogwash. Take all your service work to Tom's Italian Tune and Service in Mesa. He has a list of very happy customers the length of your arm. (depending, of course on how long your arm is...)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
deluxe68 said:
I was told by the service manager in Snottsdale that the 749/999 s/r models are more expensive because the heads need to be pulled.
Only on the R's due to the diffrent valve size and retention system. The S uses the same system as the dark and base.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Since it has been asked a couple of times in here...NO, you can not reset the maintenance wrench by yourself. But, it doesn't do anything, so don't get too wrapped up in it. Mine's been on so long I've completely forgotten about it. B was correct about the head remval thing also...just the R's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
RocketJohn said:
daponik,

buy the service manuals written by LT Snyder at Desmotimes.com very helpful...

Ill second that ,I bought that manual before the bike was even delivered
Also dont forget to get the factory manual for your specific bike too for all he dont cover ,but for a picture book this guy did a great job with this manual very informative best 28.00 for learning basic knowledge on services .
Take care

1 - 20 of 22 Posts