Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 1980 Posts

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,961
Took the day off to hang out with my friends while they exercised two of their steeds at Mid Ohio yesterday. It's only taken about 24 years but, I finally got to see this one move under its own power. (The actual) '86 LeMans winner.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,962
The far older but, more recent acquisition.

Unrestricted access, nothing blocking views (trucks, banners, people, tents, etc), no schedule (run all you want, hour lunch, run all you want til 5), only about a dozen of us. racecar geek bliss.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,964
I was just informed by some of my racing colleagues of yore that Colton Herta won at Laguna Seca this afternoon. And, that we were old. Colton is Bryan's son.

I worked with Bryan (the second time) when he won.

At Laguna Seca.

20 years ago.

:eek:

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,966
Only took 11 months to make it to the store shelves but, it finally did make it. Not a bad issue, either (not a fan of any of the major car/bike rags).
I don't often read R&T, but might have to check out that issue. Thanks.
This issue is actually worth the $5. McLaren article, Peter Egan writes about the Lotus 11. Fairly deep article about Red Bull's driver shootout some years ago. Not what I usually find - one semi-interesting article and the rest is throw-away. At least take a quick peek at the new stand.
and now everyone can:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28474453/driving-a-modern-formula-one-car/

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,967
Maserati back before Christmas in my pic (first one). Some further progress since (second photo; owner's).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,968
A couple of my old racing coworkers and buddies just won the GTLM class at Daytona. One of them is retired from the racing grind once he gets the truck back to Hilliard.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Aussies will dig this and I hope you all do as well.

The guy was starting at the back of the grid for a reason, this is a classic car race but they take it pretty seriously.

The GTHO Falcon was an iconic Australian muscle car of the early 70's, good examples are worth circa $500k.
If you watch the air scoop and how it moves you will understand why they were called "Shakers"

The Bathurst road circuit ( Mount Panorama) and the race there a part of Australian folk law and yes it's a public road.
If you look at how physical the car is to drive consider the race was over 500 miles during late spring early summer. Bench seats and lap and sash seatbelts.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,184 Posts

Watching these cars go around Daytona was mind boggling. Not so much the speed on the straight but how incredibly deep they go into the corners before braking. They literally stay full on the gas until they start to turn in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow. Am not sure how old that video is, but I saw a couple of absolutely classic race cars in there, namely a BRE Datsun 510 and an Alfa Romeo GTA Quadrifoglio...

The video is from 2008, it's a classic car race, so would probabl have cars up until the mid 70s.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,977
Someone you know, DuckMan? Funnily enough, a woman at work (not in any way related to racing) has friends who ran in the Michelin Pilot Challenge race (4 hour) at Daytona on Friday. That's what that car competes in.

Watching these cars go around Daytona was mind boggling. Not so much the speed on the straight but how incredibly deep they go into the corners before braking. They literally stay full on the gas until they start to turn in.
That's mostly from left-foot braking now that everything has paddle shifting. It started when proper racing gearboxes went to sequential shifters though not all drivers were capable of downshifting sans clutch without destroying dog rings in short order. When electronics came along, gorilla-proofing the shifting process, it became de rigueur.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,978 (Edited)
Former teammates (at two consecutive teams, at my pleading) and great friends. Crew chief (L) and truckie/fueler (R). "R" could also stand for 'Retired' (from racing) as of today.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,905 Posts
Former teammates (at two consecutive teams, at my pleading) and great friends. Crew chief (L) and truckie/fueler (R). "R" could also stand for 'Retired' (from racing) as of today.
What about you these days?
Besides looking at cool cars you still drive any?

Last one I drove was a new Ferrari.
20150624_121932_1.jpg

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,980
No cool cars owned/driven by me. Just motorcycles nowadays. My car stuff is all vicarious.

1961 - 1980 of 1980 Posts