Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1921 - 1940 of 1981 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,923
Adjustable sway bars?
Yep, front anti-roll bar. I'd like to know what the thinking was behind having both blades adjust instead of a single one. On one hand, it provides a much wider ultimate range of spring rate. But, on the other, the change between each adjuster position is much coarser. On the cars I worked on with cockpit-adjustable ARBs, only one blade was so. You got within your 'window' with bar diameter/blade thickness and material (steel or ti) and that was the (smaller) range would played in.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Yep, front anti-roll bar. I'd like to know what the thinking was behind having both blades adjust instead of a single one. On one hand, it provides a much wider ultimate range of spring rate. But, on the other, the change between each adjuster position is much coarser. On the cars I worked on with cockpit-adjustable ARBs, only one blade was so. You got within your 'window' with bar diameter/blade thickness and material (steel or ti) and that was the (smaller) range would played in.
A single blade would have to be twice as long for the same overall range of adjustment as 2 shorter blades?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,925
A single blade would have to be twice as long for the same overall range of adjustment as 2 shorter blades?
The min/max spring rates would be the same (broadly speaking) although I doubt the rates at each given step in between would correlate, exactly.

New photo (of a sticker). Mister Marty was sponsor of Dan Gurney's F5000 team. Elliot Forbes-Robinson drove for a spell and used the #7 though I don't know if the sticker's got that # on by coincidence or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,926
We really need more! Please!!!!
You asked, I deliver. The first of quite a few (if I can get the iphone, PC, web site, photobucket to cooperate). I took it (and those coming) yesterday. I hope I can get a couple videos uploaded successfully at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,927
#2 - McLaren MP4-22 (winner of Monaco, Monza, and Nurburgring in '07 with Alonso). This is one of the few full shots I got with no blockages. There are so many tiny details to look at and ponder, I took mostly closeups of those and any time it was in the garage it was surrounded by the McL, MB, or Cars Intl engineers and techs.

I only went to be a full-on racecar fan-boy and stay out of the way. I was called into action with the Ferrari a few times (looked after by two long-time friends, one of which was team manager at the first Indycar team I worked on). If I stretch the meaning of 'work' slightly, I can say the last racecar I ever worked on was a Ferrari 640. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,931
I know he had his go pro on for all runs and he sent me one of them. Not sure of his feelings on mass-distribution at this stage but, I'll check and post a link if he uploads. I'm still working on getting my videos to him.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
#2 - McLaren MP4-22 (winner of Monaco, Monza, and Nurburgring in '07 with Alonso). This is one of the few full shots I got with no blockages. There are so many tiny details to look at and ponder, I took mostly closeups of those and any time it was in the garage it was surrounded by the McL, MB, or Cars Intl engineers and techs.

I only went to be a full-on racecar fan-boy and stay out of the way. I was called into action with the Ferrari a few times (looked after by two long-time friends, one of which was team manager at the first Indycar team I worked on). If I stretch the meaning of 'work' slightly, I can say the last racecar I ever worked on was a Ferrari 640. :wink2:
You're totally correct about the details.

I am a current supplier to Formula One. I can't go into detail but I develop and produce products for every car on the grid. I have to do a fair amount of testing and taking these cars apart and handling all of the components and parts that go into a modern Formula One machine is pretty incredible. It's also stressful because every time a car has a failure my first thought is always, "Dear God, please let that not be one of my products that caused that."

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,933
front wing secondary element center support. not 3 mm thick flaring out to about 5 mm at the pivot point inside the element.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,937
March 82C-Cosworth at the Crawford Auto-Aviation Collection yesterday. I just wrote a long-winded mini novel about the whos/whens/wheres about it and people involved and how I ended up fitting in it all but, it ended up sounding too much about two people and not about the car (what this thread's about).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
March 82C-Cosworth at the Crawford Auto-Aviation Collection yesterday. I just wrote a long-winded mini novel about the whos/whens/wheres about it and people involved and how I ended up fitting in it all but, it ended up sounding too much about two people and not about the car (what this thread's about).
I'd like to hear about that. If I remember right that's slightly pre-Newey. Besides, at the end of the day cars are just things. It's the stories involving their lives and all the people in and around them are what make them memorable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
there's a really cool historic race in august in indianapolis called the vintage racing invitational. they have old formula cars as well as le mans and road race cars.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,940
I'd like to hear about that. If I remember right that's slightly pre-Newey. Besides, at the end of the day cars are just things. It's the stories involving their lives and all the people in and around them are what make them memorable.
Yes, Newey was another year or two. I'll try to remember what I wrote/deleted and condense it.

there's a really cool historic race in august in indianapolis called the vintage racing invitational. they have old formula cars as well as le mans and road race cars.

Last I spoke with him, my friend was attending with the McLaren MP4-22 (more posts a few pages back). Not sure about the Ferrari 640 (also a few pages back). I'd like to go but, since going to his (private) test there last September, I'm spoiled for no crowds and unlimited access. Plus, he's also doing Put-in-Bay again this year and MidOhio with other cars. Also in the fleet is their 962C (LeMans winner in '86). It was on track last at P-i-B for a demo lap and before that Indy a couple of years ago for an R&T article. No idea when it'll hit the track in anger.

1921 - 1940 of 1981 Posts