Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1980 Posts

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
apparently this weekend is this Daytona 24hr (stopped paying attention a long time ago) so I thought I'd post a pic of what real prototypes once looked like.

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Started my racing career about midway through the 962's lifespan. Raced 'against' them (worked for GTU teams) but got my first open wheel job just before IMSA imploded and went to the mostly horrid "World Sports Car" open cockpit garbage (save for the Ferrari 333SP). Never got to work on P cars. :(

·
9,757 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Brings back the days when Pappy would bring us 4 boys home "Revel"(sp) models to put together...

He musta spent a fortune on us with the cars planes ships we built...

I guess that is as close as we were gonna get to the real thing...

I would see a plane and would recognize that I built one , and the race cars too.

Went thru a lotta glue litle bottles of paint and rattle cans...

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice....Tom Walkinshaw?
correct.

here's a Group44 XJR from before TWR took over the program.

When I worked with Lawson in '94, Lee Dykstra (designer of the above pictured car) was our engineer. My favorite driver during my wrenching career and one of my favorite engineers (two or three way tie. it'll change every day you ask me).

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Beautiful machine, I loved the livery of the Silk Cut Jags, was quite an era for them.
just to clarify, the Silk Cut cars were TWR cars (XJR-6, -8, -9, etc) run in the World Sportscar Championship and LeMans. The Quaker State (or plain "Jaguar") cars were Group 44 cars (XJR-5 and -7) run in IMSA (and LeMans once or twice) before TWR was involved. When TWR took over and ran the IMSA program as well (starting with the -9) sponsors were Castrol in the beginning and later, Bud Light. Group 44 cars and TWR cars share nothing.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Got that, but of the two I prefer TWR though the Group 44 is a sweet clean machine, as I said, for a Jag the Silk Cut was my fave

·
7,733 Posts

Always thought the Shadows were cool cars. Saw Jackie Oliver race one at (then) Mosport in the early seventies. The sounds of those Can Ams were awesome. :)

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got that, but of the two I prefer TWR though the Group 44 is a sweet clean machine, as I said, for a Jag the Silk Cut was my fave
got it.

Shadows were cool. Then again, few CanAm car weren't. Another great era never to be repeated.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts

Always thought the Shadows were cool cars. Saw Jackie Oliver race one at (then) Mosport in the early seventies. The sounds of those Can Ams were awesome. :)
I have a copy of Peter Bryant's book, "Can-Am Challenger". Jackie Oliver wrote the foreword. It's well worth reading if you're into Can-Am stuff. It's published by David Bull, a company that does some of the finest motorsport books around.

·
7,733 Posts
I have a copy of Peter Bryant's book, "Can-Am Challenger". Jackie Oliver wrote the foreword. It's well worth reading if you're into Can-Am stuff. It's published by David Bull, a company that does some of the finest motorsport books around.
Thanks for that tip. I'll keep an eye open for it. :)

EDIT: did a quick search for the book and read this about the author:

" It was an amazing achievement for a cockney lad with no formal training in design or engineering. But Peter overcame these limitations through a rare ability to learn by doing and an incredible capacity for hard work. "

:)

1 - 20 of 1980 Posts