Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ROF
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to feel like I am the proving grounds for some of Ducati's Sport Classic Accessories!

Tank Protector with Bag 96749006B List Price $181.20 US

Problems:

Outright poor design. Protector function is okay and styling is pretty good. Straps could be a bit longer so you could get a better grip when hooking this think up. Tank bag is worthless because it flies off the bike!!!!

The bag sits back towards the pilot and when starting off from a standing start I tend to push against the tank. This action tends to dislodge the magnets and the bag flies off the bike. Actually I had the foresight to have a D-ring attached to the bag and a safety loop around the steering damper body.

Three small magnets hold the bag to the Protector. I have had the magnets removed from both the bag and the Protector and heavy duty snaps installed in their place. Works great but it is a bit of a hassle to gas up now. My recommendation is SAVE YOUR MONEY on this "accessory".

Ducati must have NEVER tested this on a SportClassic. Wonder what else doesn't fit/work!
See my post: "Rear Sets For PS1000LE/SPORT1000" :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking about getting one of those. Now I won't.

I wish these bikes had metal tanks. A magnetic tank bag would be an easy fix. (I've got two Marsee magnetic tank bags. They won't work on either one of my bikes now.)

Lately I've been able to carry everything I "need" - small camera, sunglasses, something to clean my face shield, etc. - in a small Marsee Belt Bag (butt pack). It's an old style bag that's not listed in their latest catalogue . . . but it works.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tank Bag Magnets...?

BLACKBIRDXX said:
Problems:

Outright poor design. Protector function is okay and styling is pretty good. Straps could be a bit longer so you could get a better grip when hooking this think up. Tank bag is worthless because it flies off the bike!!!!

The bag sits back towards the pilot and when starting off from a standing start I tend to push against the tank. This action tends to dislodge the magnets and the bag flies off the bike...
Three small magnets hold the bag to the Protector...My recommendation is SAVE YOUR MONEY on this "accessory".

Ducati must have NEVER tested this on a SportClassic. Wonder what else doesn't fit/work!
Hey Birdman,

What fer Tankbag did you buy? The Tankbag with the full tank protector clips on to the bag via "snap buckles" in each of the four corners of the tank. The Protector straps down to each of the four corners of the tank then the Bag clips to the protector. I don't have any magnets on mine. I will grant you the bag isn't the biggest, but, I thought it rather nice all in all. As a matter of fact, I typically don't like "Bras" for hoods of cars, fairnings on bikes, or tanks. But I got to tell you the Tank Protector really looks pretty cool on the bike. It really fits the "old racer" kinda look. (I'm still not going to leave on the bike, but I thought it was really pretty sharp and functional. -Capt

·
ROF
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kingcapt said:
Hey Birdman,

What fer Tankbag did you buy? The Tankbag with the full tank protector clips on to the bag via "snap buckles" in each of the four corners of the tank. The Protector straps down to each of the four corners of the tank then the Bag clips to the protector. I don't have any magnets on mine. I will grant you the bag isn't the biggest, but, I thought it rather nice all in all. As a matter of fact, I typically don't like "Bras" for hoods of cars, fairnings on bikes, or tanks. But I got to tell you the Tank Protector really looks pretty cool on the bike. It really fits the "old racer" kinda look. (I'm still not going to leave on the bike, but I thought it was really pretty sharp and functional. -Capt

From Ducati.com
"TANK PROTECTOR
This tank protector features an essential design, perfectly integrated with the bike's line, a bag to keep in front of you to eb used for your small personal belongings.

SKU code #96749006B"

Note the 3 small circles on the protector that are on the edges where the gas cap is accessed. Those are the magnets and there are 3 more magnets on the little bag that match up with these. NO SAFETY STRAP!!!!!

I may go with the setup you have..... it doesn't look like any of the parts will fly off the bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think you'll love the full-size version. It really is pretty nice. Like I said, if you dig the "tank Bra" kinda thing, the tank cover is really about the best looking "Bra" kinda thing (maybe the only) I have ever seen. I actually said to my wife (while she looked on with glazed eyes...) "That tank protector almost looks like it would belong on the bike!" The embroidered Ducati logo and the leather grain finish make it look very purposeful and classy.

Good luck. Let me know how you make out. -Capt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts