Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning on attending this? (besides me)

Last year was MotoGP in the US and now this........I'm in heaven!!!

October 6, 2005
Isle of Man TT coming to Canada TT-style Motorcycle Racing Headlines Cape Breton Festival of Speed Announcement

SYDNEY, NS - The Cape Breton Festival of Speed in Association with the Isle of Man TT announced a classic motorcycle race, the first of its kind in North America Wednesday.

"This event will provide competitive motorcycle racing on a challenging 52 kilometer circuit unlike any other in North America," said Maureen Carroll, Chair of the Cape Breton Festival of Speed.

"Our event is styled after the legendary Isle of Man TT, a true road course classic established in 1907. TT stands for Tourist Trophy and competitors from the Isle of Man will come to Nova Scotia for our event. We anticipate a large turnout as speed enthusiasts converge on Cape Breton, eager to see the true thrill of the open road."

"First of all it will bring new visitors to Cape Breton and we all know how important that is. Equally important, it means investment in our infrastructure, especially the roads which will be used for the race," added Carroll.

While motorcycles are will be the main event at the inaugural Festival, September 20th to 24th, 2006, there will be attractions for car enthusiasts as well as hope for status auto races in the future and an event patterned after festivals such as those held at Goodwood, England and Monterey, California.

Next year (2006), motorcycles will practice on the Nova Scotia roads near Sydney, specially closed for the occasion on Wednesday and Thursday, September 20 and 21. On Friday the 22nd there's a motorcycle "Charity Ride" fundraiser plus a full program of motorcycle road racing on Saturday, September 23rd. On Sunday the 24th there will be a "Show and Shine" for Cars, Pickup Trucks, Motorcycles and Custom and Racing Cars.

"One of the attractions of the TT is being able to get close to the action," said Isle of Man Tourism Minister the Hon David Cretney, himself a former Isle of Man TT racer who attended the announcement in Sydney.

Britain banned racing on the open roads early in the last century but Isle of Man enthusiasts and government saw wisdom in attracting tourism to their island in the Irish Sea in 1907 by hosting motorcycle races on the public roads as it was being done at the time in Europe.

Racers Turn Out

Isle of Man TT racing legend Ian Lougher of Wales joined the announcement and after viewing the current roads the most successful active TT racer said, "With some paving, these beautiful roads will offer a suitable challenge for some of the best riders in the world. There are some fast stretches and the only things I don't see which are part of the Isle of Man are the pubs around the circuit, which I'll miss, and the stonewalls lining the roads which I won't miss. I definitely want to come back next year for the race."

Canadian racer Pat Barnes of Scarborough, ON who challenged the IoM circuit in 2004 said, "An Isle of Man style competition and the Festival of Speed will raise the profile of racing in Canada giving more exposure to Canadian riders. That's how talented Canadian car racers have achieved so much in the past few years."

From a release issued by The Cape Breton Festival of Speed

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
there is a 50/50 chance that I'll be riding my Monster up to the festival!....have to sort out other events with vacation time and see what is possible!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'll be there for sure. We've rented a cottage for a week on a lake.

The forum for the CBTT is up an running:

http://www.cbfestivalofspeed.com/forum/default.asp

We should plan to meet up there, eh!

Stephanie

Edited to mention: My username on the CBTT board is 'Stephanie' so that the DOCC people will know how to find me, seeing as how I'm membership secretary now.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I might be going but it depends on work. They real problem is that when I know if I can go, all the hotels will be booked (if they aren't already).

I was planning to take my 750GT along with some friends (750GT, 750Sport, etc...)

Would be great to meet.

Dresda do you do any DOCC trackdays?

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I'm planning o riding up from CT. Several of my friends, including Kevin who is flying out from CA, wil be going up too. Taking the 998 and camping.

bruce19

·
Registered
248 Posts
edwyun said:
I might be going but it depends on work. They real problem is that when I know if I can go, all the hotels will be booked (if they aren't already).

I was planning to take my 750GT along with some friends (750GT, 750Sport, etc...)

Would be great to meet.

Dresda do you do any DOCC trackdays?
Edwyn, I'd love to see your GT. Haven't seen one in years. And I haven't seen a sport in a long time either! So I hope to see you and/or your friends. We should establist a Ducati headquarters somewhere in Sydney, perhaps we can 'adopt' one of the Tim Horton's coffee shops there.

I'm planning to go to the Mosport and Tremblant trackdays. Gratten is a bit too far away, I don't have that many vacation days at my disposal.

I haven't been on a track for over 20 years so I 'm a bit nervous about going, but I'm sure that after a few laps I'll be fine.

Stephanie

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Important Update!

Loss Of CMA Sanction May Kill Cape Breton TT Proposed For Nova Scotia This Fall
Mar 07, 2006

Copyright 2006, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

CMA NEWS

News Update - Mar 7, 2006

SANCTION APPROVAL WITHDRAWN FOR CAPE BRETON TT

The Canadian Motorcycle Association has today withdrawn the sanction for the Cape Breton TT Road Race, which was scheduled to take place from September 20 - 24 of this year.

Citing delays in necessary information being provided to the CMA as sanctioning body and to the insurer of the event, association General Manager Marilynn Bastedo expressed regret about the decision but stated that "such a major undertaking must be planned in a way that assures success at all levels, including and most importantly the security infrastructure. The deadlines for providing the information to us, and to the insurer, have not been met. There are now only a few months remaining and with the proposed race course snow covered for some of that time, the conclusion has been reached that the event is not viable at this time."

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Bummer. I think this was going to be a MAJOR event for eastern Canada and the northeastern US. I wonder if they have any idea how this was playing to motorcyclists. If they do get it together I will be there next year.

bruce19

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
dresda said:
I'm planning to go to the Mosport and Tremblant trackdays. Gratten is a bit too far away, I don't have that many vacation days at my disposal.
Ahhh!
I've heard some great things about Mosport and Mont Tremblant. Are there any DOCC dates after July for these tracks?

Edward

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, Tremblant is in late August. DOCC Mont Tremblant Motorcycle Festival - August 26 & 27, 2006 - Circuit Mont Tremblant, Quebec

Its a REALLY NICE TRACK and Tremblant is a great place to visit.

See the club website at http://www.docc.ca/ for details on registration, etc.

Also visit the forum at http://www.docc.ca/phpBB2/index.php

Stephanie

·
Registered
248 Posts
Cb Tt May Still Happen

edwyun said:
Dresda:
would be great to see you and all the others at Cape Breton. But from the previous post, it looks like it may not happen anymore. I hope it's not true.
Negotiations are still underway. There are three levels of government involved in this and a huge investment has already been made in this event. So many of us on the CBTT forum have decided to not cancel our bookings and we'll wait and see what happens.

The forum can be found at http://www.cbfestivalofspeed.com/forum/default.asp

Stephanie
going regardless, its a great place to visit

·
Registered
248 Posts
Cape Breton Tt - News Update

from the website at http://www.cbfestivalofspeed.com/read_news.asp?ID=2

News Release

March 14, 2006
CAPE BRETON TT - NEWS UPDATE

By John Hopkins

TORONTO, ON -- The Cape Breton Festival of Speed is not dead yet, according to one of the event organizers, despite a press release from the Canadian Motorcycle Association saying it was withdrawing its sanctioning of the event.

The CMA issued a release last Tuesday saying it was withdrawing its sanctioning for the Sept. 20-24 road race due to, “delays in necessary information being provided to the CMA as a sanctioning body and to the insurer of the event.”

According to the event’s project manager, John Graham, his group had missed a deadline to provide an operations manual to insurer Jones Brown Inc., which was necessary to secure the CMA sanctioning.

In a phone interview on Thursday, Graham told Inside Motorcycles that race director Terry Dale had planned to meet with the Festival of Speed committee in Sydney on the weekend o

f Feb. 17-19 to finalize the manual, but heavy snowstorms had left him stranded in Ottawa.

Graham said the meeting has now been rescheduled for Mar. 31-Apr. 2, and that Jones Brown has agreed verbally to a new deadline of Apr. 15 to have the manual completed.

“It’s our fault,” Graham admitted. “We didn’t communicate properly to the CMA and the insurance company that we had these delays. The CMA really had no alternative but to issue the release.”

In an interview with Inside Motorcycles last Friday, CMA general manager Marilynn Bastedo said she hadn’t finalized a new deadline schedule with the event organizers and Jones Brown, but didn’t rule out the possibility of the race being saved for 2006.

“When we were first approached about this event we were excited about it,” she said. "We still think it could happen in 2007, and we’re not going to put up a road block to it happening in 2006.”

A key concern, however, is a shrinking time frame to complete the necessary upgrades that will be required for the event to take place, such as repaving sections of highway that will make up the course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts