Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh. As much as I love to look at her, as much as my Italian supermodel is a hoot at the track...when she's running...I have to say I'm starting to fall out-of-love with her.

Okay, so I knew she was having voltage regulator issues. But always before if I kept her on the tender, she was fine. It was the times I let the battery drain overnight that she's caused me troubles. But yesterday I discovered that she can't be ridden 30 miles and then allowed to sit for 6 hours if I expect her to make the 30 mile return trip.

In short, I rode the Duc to work yesterday. On the way home, I turned off the freeway and onto a long, straight country road between two rice fields. I made it about another mile when I noticed a little splutter in the power delivery. I knew instantly what it was and began signaling to pull over. I was going about 65 with traffic behind me, so rather than braking hard I coasted down and eased to the right shoulder. By the time I came to a stop, the engine had died and the lights were out. Crap.

I checked, and sure enough the fuse to the R/R was shot. I replaced the fuse, hoping that it'd hold until I got home. I had about 15 miles to go and a pretty good stock of fuses. But she didn't even have enough juice to start again.

Side note: THANK GOD FOR FOREMOST INSURANCE!!!

I had just received a mailer from Foremost the day before that described in detail the FREE roadside assistance program I'd been enrolled in because I'm insured through Foremost. I called them and got hooked up with a towing company. It took almost an hour and a half for them to get there, but I didn't have any other options (the wife had to get the #2 child over to the high school to register for his Freshman year, and so couldn't provide a dust-off). When the tow finally arrived and we'd loaded up the bike, he towed it to my house. On the way I asked if there was going to be a charge because it would be like 15-20 miles from where I was to my house. The driver told me, "Usually it's only 5 miles maximum, but Foremost told me they'd cover the whole trip, so no charge."

So once again THANK GOD FOR FOREMOST INSURANCE!!!

Now I'm planning to deliver the bike to Motowheels with a mandate to "make it so this never happens again." But Gia is going to have to earn back my trust and my love. And the Next Big Thing that goes wrong, you're all going to see a classified ad that says she's for sale...cheap.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
rob said:
Sigh. As much as I love to look at her, as much as my Italian supermodel is a hoot at the track...when she's running...I have to say I'm starting to fall out-of-love with her........And the Next Big Thing that goes wrong, you're all going to see a classified ad that says she's for sale...cheap.
I'll giva ya a $1000+ shipping through forwardair!....LOL...I hope she gets sorted out for ya man...I can understand the frustration you are going through!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
rob[color=blue said:
...but I didn't have any other options (the wife had to get the #2 child over to the high school to register for his Freshman year, and so couldn't provide a dust-off). When the tow finally arrived and we'd loaded up the bike, he towed it to my house. On the way I asked if there was going to be a charge because it would be like 15-20 miles from where I was to my house. The driver told me, "Usually it's only 5 miles maximum, but Foremost told me they'd cover the whole trip, so no charge."[/color]
God works in strange ways Preacherman. Remember all that coveting and envy in the Hens thread?

Looks to me like the Lord is tweaking your nose, just a little [breakdown, stranded, wife not around to bail you out], but not too much [breakdown on way home from work, not to; new Foremost insurance; picking up the whole tow tab].

Repent while you can.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My R6 had some issues like that... I went through the same thing. I love her so much but she hated me!!!! well we did some counseling with bike bandit, and bought some new carbon bling off e-bay. it really rekindled our relationship. All good things must come to an end though. She is in great working order but there is a sale pending.
Good luck working it out

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
rob said:
Okay, so I knew she was having voltage regulator issues.
If you knew the bike was having regulator issues why didn't you replace it before you got stranded? Sounds like the bike gave you plenty of warning signs prior to dying that you chose to ignore. These bikes require vigilance. As you found out, if you ignore or band aid a problem (like with a Battery Tender) on a Ducati Superbike you will get burned.

Tony

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
kingsnake1650 said:
My R6 had some issues like that... I went through the same thing. I love her so much but she hated me!!!! well we did some counseling with bike bandit, and bought some new carbon bling off e-bay. it really rekindled our relationship. All good things must come to an end though. She is in great working order but there is a sale pending.
Good luck working it out
Someone actually has posted a story about problems with bikes other than a Ducati. A miracle indeed.

I hate electrical problems. Have to practically take apart the whole bike to find and correct the issue and it always turns out to be a little frayed wire.

My R1 conked out in Half Moon Bay, when I was with a hen, trying to impress with a short ride along the coast. Turned out to be a loose wire on the starter.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
If you knew the bike was having regulator issues why didn't you replace it before you got stranded? Sounds like the bike gave you plenty of warning signs prior to dying that you chose to ignore. These bikes require vigilance. As you found out, if you ignore or band aid a problem (like with a Battery Tender) on a Ducati Superbike you will get burned.

Tony
Oh, oh, to the woodshed for the Preacherman.

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
I've got too much experience with bad regulartors to EVER ride a bike where I know the regulator is bad. A bad voltage regulator can pose BIG problems with a bike, especially newer ones with all the electronic gizmos on them. A bad regulator can cause the alternator/stator to overwork and fry. They've been known to take out a battery when they try to pump 15+ volts to them. It's also not unheard of for a bad regulator to send voltage spikes that will fry your CPU and any other sensitive electrical component.....Yeah, I'll never knowingly ride with a bad regulator.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
I thought Robs regulator problems were behind him. I think this is something different. Man, I agree, I hate electrical problems.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Rob:

That's tough to hear. i know you've rectified (sorry for the pun) the R/R before and seemed to have gotten all the bugs out, but now.. Hmmmm.

Must be the finicky SBKs. Doubt it ever happened on your SS/FE. BTW, there are a few SS/FE's for sale in the US =)

Hope you get it all ironed out.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SouthSideDuc said:
I'm convicted. I guess I was deluding myself into thinking "too many volts is better than too few, right?" Foolish. Roto's right: I think I got a gentle tweak from above -- "stop lying to yourself and get 'er fixed!!"

edwyun said:
Rob:

That's tough to hear. i know you've rectified (sorry for the pun) the R/R before and seemed to have gotten all the bugs out, but now.. Hmmmm.

Must be the finicky SBKs. Doubt it ever happened on your SS/FE. BTW, there are a few SS/FE's for sale in the US =)

Hope you get it all ironed out.
Thanks Edward. Me too. I hope I get it ironed out without having to break the bank. Luckily, I have Martin close by. :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So now I have an option. I can take the bike to Motowheels and have them fix it, or I can swap both the LT and the 748 for a new RVT1000R -- even swap, no cash out of pocket. Roseville Cycle Center already said yes. Decisions, decisions...

Every time I look at her (http://home.surewest.net/allenr/ReginaGiallaRightSide.jpg) I think...naaaahhhh. Stupid idea.

Right now I'm thinking I'll just fix 'er.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Rob,
I was at Motowheels today. People are talking regulator, but didn't you R/R that already?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.