Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right this is my thread for my 996 2000reg biposto

Last week i was taking her for the mot (uk road safety test) and she pissed her pants all over the road outside my house!!:eek:

so i tore her down,part in temper part to see what happened:confused:

so with the bike tore down i can see the gearbox was to blame stripped and the front pot head piston ect ruined:(

so with lots of thinking:think: im going to rebuild it from the ground up!! (only better):cool:

so the plan is to put on a,

848/1198 front end
848 wheels
999/1198 ect speedo
new nuts and bolts
powder coat frame subframe swingarm
new bearings/dustseals
toatal carbon specal,appart from the 996r front fairing i already have
all that befor i start on the engine phew

Any help welcome, i want a 996 to twist heads off!! not just turn them lol :eek:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok so the bike is in bits, the frame is waiting to be powder coated as is the swingarm but the sub frame i think im going to put on a mono ally frame,saves on weight and i dont want to take anyone on the back,so the biposto subframe is going begging:D

ive taken some photos of the carbon parts i have for the bike including the 996r carbon fairing also pics of the gearbox and knackerd frount pot i will post them as soon as i workout how to do it.

i have found a 999r frount end and have agreed to pay £1000 for it this includes ohlins shocks stearing stem and top and bottom yolk,brake callipers and wheel spindle/nut/spacers ect i was also offerd the ohlins rear shock from the 999r but i dont know if it will fit!!

i know im getting ahead of myself,but im wondering what i can do with the engine, i need a new gearbox, will i get any benifit from putting in a sps gearbox or any other? are they the same as say a 748??:think:
then there is the cylinders/pistons/heads can i put on a 996r what is possible??
light weight crank/flywheel thats simple but this is where i i will need help!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pics of my carbon bits including my original 996r carbon fairing, carbon tank,more carbon than you can shake a stick at:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and this is im ashamed to say how my bike and workshop look alfter i threw my toys out of my pram:mad: i think i need a tydy up

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts
996R front fairing is no different than a regular 996. If you mount newer (848) wheels you won't have anything to drive the new speedo. SPS or 748 gearbox will be closer ratio and work great. Cannot use 996R cylinders or anything--completely different motor. That airbox will not work either.

Don't spend £1000 on a 999R front end. Part the bike out, and start with a 998, or even better...998S. Better platform. Modify until the cows come home and save yourself thousands in the process.

·
Registered
59 Posts
nine16;1334228 Don't spend £1000 on a 999R front end. Part the bike out said:
He is not wrong, I dare not think how much I have spent on my SPS, which is sitting at about 135hp. The later engines are better

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
996R engine parts are not compatible with 996, probably be cheaper to get a new (used) engine unless you can find the required parts from ebay/breaker.

Cylinder can be repaired, I recently had mine replated by Langcourt Home can't really see the head as the pic's blurred but I assume it's pitted? should be able to find a used head easily enough.

Gearboxes are compatible over many models, 748 has the close ratio box as do (I believe) SP, SPS & R whereas 996 has the 'standard' ratio.

As you probably already know (and if not are about to find out) rebuilding can get very expensive...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes im aware the cost is going to be high and i understand the 998 is a better machine, that said a 998 is not my 996:D

im reluctant to part it out as i will be back to square one, dose anyone know if a 999r ohlins unit will fit my bike?

im not to fussed how much my build will cost, not cos im rich,but i want a bike i can be proud of,all the bikes i have ever had have been well used and looked well used lol.

i have read threads about the speedo drive when useing 848 wheels, and will mod the wheel or change the speedo to 999/848/1098/1198 unit how this would all cobble together is half the fun i think!!

as for funding i have all the parts im not going to be using on ebay so that will go towards the first stages of the build and i have the full fairing that im also selling so once i have the ohlins parts i can think about what colour i want the frame and swingarm, im thinking ice white:cool:

im wondering if a 748 gearbox can take the extra power of the 996 engine,if it can i see no reason to spend big money on a gearbox from a sps ect if the 748 is the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
yes im aware the cost is going to be high and i understand the 998 is a better machine, that said a 998 is not my 996:D
Now that I like to hear, the total cost on my bike would have got me a Desmosedeci, but it has been spread over a few years so you dont really notice it. Latest things being done are shower injectors and a 1098 swingarm. One day i might spend money on cosmetics, at the moment it looks like it has been sitting in a leaky garage for a year. Oh, wait, it has........

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts

im reluctant to part it out as i will be back to square one
It's not that the 998 is that much better than a 996, it just fits what you want to do and eliminates a lot of the unnecessary expenses and BS you would otherwise have to deal with, like powdercoating a frame. Starting out at square 1 isn't so bad if you realize the project you're talking about places you several squares behind that.

dose anyone know if a 999r ohlins unit [shock]will fit my bike?
It will not. Move back one square.

i have read threads about the speedo drive when useing 848 wheels, and will mod the wheel or change the speedo to 999/848/1098/1198 unit how this would all cobble together is half the fun i think!!
If you do a search, you can see how much "fun" it has been for other people who have done it. Move back one square.

im wondering if a 748 gearbox can take the extra power of the 996 engine,if it can i see no reason to spend big money on a gearbox from a sps ect if the 748 is the same.
Yes, it is built to the same standards as the larger displacement motors. Rebuild transmission and motor. Move back one square.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
999 Ohlins forks would fit but you will need to bore the lower yoke (or fit an Ohlins spec unit) as they are 3mm bigger, you also need the 999 axle & fender.

748 gearbox will be fine, they don't make a lower spec gearbox just different ratios.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i would be modding a 998 in the same way i dont want a gold/silver/red/blue frame, and i want a bike that is as new! i can understand the arguement for getting a 998 but that said why not just go and get a 1199 and be done with it?

i like my 996 enough to rebuild it, i want to learn about the engine,and make it better!! let me have my dream lol :abduct:

i love the idea of putting a 1198 swingarm on!! how hard is that to do? lol ££££

i still feel i already have a bike ive started so i will finnish

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just thought i would say a 996r fairing athough fits a normal 996 the same like mine it is not the same!! for one its carbon, for two it comes in 3 bits not 4, and for three its got a dirty great oil trey, i love the look of my 996r carbon ducati course original fairing :p

·
Registered
468 Posts
I say fuck all of that off. Put bluntly' Your dream is finacial suicide'

996R on piston heads £16k high price but it's a minter. Obviously a bike you already admire.

1098R £14k-£16k
748R £8000 fit your stuff to it if you really want.

All these make more sense than your dream build. A real R is far better and more appealing than some cobbled mess of a bike.

I sunk a shit load (£10k) in parts into a 749R it's an awesome bike but it's not as awesome as having a 749R and a 748R parked next to each other which is what I probably should have done. I was determined to get it finished and currently it's having even more work done to it!

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/111000-749r-12.html

Do the smart thing!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Oh come on lads...
None of this makes any rational sense.
If that's what it was about we all would have bought VFRs and all be a lot richer!
Screw that! Let your freak flag fly and fritter away your money as you please. As long as you promise to take lots of photos and post your progress frequently so that I can feel better about how I'm choosing to fritter away my limited funds:D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh come on lads...
None of this makes any rational sense.
If that's what it was about we all would have bought VFRs and all be a lot richer!
Screw that! Let your freak flag fly and fritter away your money as you please. As long as you promise to take lots of photos and post your progress frequently so that I can feel better about how I'm choosing to fritter away my limited funds:D

now thats the spirit,i dont see whats wrong with having a goal there is light at the end of the tunnel alfter all there are only so many parts to be cleaned polished bolted or powder coated, how many sets of rearsets can you bye lol
i think i have to be objective and use other peoples past builds to help me allong the way. i like the look of the 848 wheels thats what i shall have, or spend a shit load on 996 wheels that look the same (i dont think so) lol

i love the 996r but dont have £16000 laying arround to spunk in one go, not to mention the ball and chain (her indoors)she would pull my balls off at best:eek:
she allready gave me a roasting over the £1000 frount end i brought but i can take that better than the grilling i would get if i came home sat on a 996r for £16000

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its been a while...but ive now brought some parts to start my build so ive taken some photos of the parts loosly bolted together.

the 848 swingarm is a nice touch and im very proud of the ally mono subframe

the forks and yolks are from a 2011 848 evo

i will take a picture of it all together when my headstock paddock stand arrives
i will also fit the shock and ride height bar, rear axle ajuster and rear axle to get a feel of how things will look before i send the frame to be powder coated.

in the meantime i will start to re assemble the engine reddy for when the frame gets back so i should have some more pics soon

1 - 20 of 170 Posts